PDA

View Full Version : stereo upgrade

vectra_
20th December 2010, 06:26 AM
planing to upgrade my stereo system, dont really know much about these, what are my options?what would be the best option? any ideas?? thank you

Wraith
20th December 2010, 07:31 AM
planing to upgrade my stereo system, dont really know much about these, what are my options?what would be the best option? any ideas?? thank you

There's no quick simple answer to this one...

There's so much out there, so many different choices and types and set ups etc. etc...

I'd start by setting yourself a budget, both on hardware and installation costs if your getting it installed as well, then go looking around and find what appeals to you, these days you'll be able to get a very good system for not alot of money - very different story to just a few years ago :)

Shadow110
20th December 2010, 07:31 AM
From memory most of us go for alpine.
Grab a adaptor from the uk to keep the wheel controls.
I'm still waiting for my adaptor but once it's in shall be sweet.
Check out the ICE section for the head unit selection

Shadow110
20th December 2010, 07:38 AM
From memory most of us go for alpine.
Grab a adaptor from the uk to keep the wheel controls.
I'm still waiting for my adaptor but once it's in shall be sweet.
Check out the ICE section for the head unit selection

Then again I could be wrong... It's happened before lol

vectra_
20th December 2010, 08:37 AM
will it be enough if i only change the speakers??i just want really good sound.

hazrd
20th December 2010, 11:46 AM
You will definitely get better sound changing the speakers, but not much. Changing the HU will make a bigger difference :)

J
20th December 2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.fhrxstudios.com/
Click on FAQ's, and the answer to the question, "What's the best system I can get for XXXX dollars?", and many, many more.

I had 3 cars done with them so far. No complaints.

All the best with it!

hazrd
20th December 2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.fhrxstudios.com/
Click on FAQ's, and the answer to the question, "What's the best system I can get for XXXX dollars?", and many, many more.

thats awesome! :thumbs:

vectra_
22nd December 2010, 12:26 AM
is there any shop aroound melbourne ?

hazrd
22nd December 2010, 09:09 AM
is there any shop aroound melbourne ?

Autobarn Narre Warren looked after me. Ask for Craig

brc
22nd December 2010, 04:14 PM
JBHiFi Dandenong, the way to go. Talk with Basil and he will hook you up with an amazing system.

I personally have never purchased anything from there. But I know they are cheap and I know that this guy has ALOT of knowledge.

greeny
22nd December 2010, 11:36 PM
Forget about going to JB Hi-Fi and Autobarn for installation. Some of the guys know what they are doing, but occasionally you get an idiot that has no clue and does a shit job.

Try Phat Audio Concepts in Braeside, they did the system on the 'Kick ass to Kanvas Skyline' for JustCar Insurance.

Also try Freeway Car Audio, they are in Dandenong and Malvern.

guy 27
22nd December 2010, 11:43 PM
Also try Freeway Car Audio, they are in Dandenong and Malvern.

+1, great service from these guys. would go back there anyday.

vectra_
23rd December 2010, 02:38 AM
hımm..i will check all these places and see which ones the best to go with...thanks everyone (:

and roughly how much do i have to spend to get a good sound system?

greeny
24th December 2010, 02:09 PM
You could spend up to $600 on just headunit and some entry level front speakers. May sound good to you.

Or you could go out and spent $5-10k and it will still sound good to you. It really depends what you consider good.

All comes down to what you like, and I suggest not asking 'what speakers should I get.' Reason being is that different speakers sound different to every person. Go to any of the above retailers, and audition as many speakers as you can until you find something you like. Try not to go JB/Autobarn because normally they have background noise and whatnot going. I know Freeway is a small shop and when people come to audition speakers, they mute everything else.

When you say 'good sound system', what exactly are you after? The whole thing? Headunit, Front/Rear Speakers, Amps, Subs?

vectra_
24th December 2010, 11:58 PM
You could spend up to $600 on just headunit and some entry level front speakers. May sound good to you.

Or you could go out and spent $5-10k and it will still sound good to you. It really depends what you consider good.

All comes down to what you like, and I suggest not asking 'what speakers should I get.' Reason being is that different speakers sound different to every person. Go to any of the above retailers, and audition as many speakers as you can until you find something you like. Try not to go JB/Autobarn because normally they have background noise and whatnot going. I know Freeway is a small shop and when people come to audition speakers, they mute everything else.

When you say 'good sound system', what exactly are you after? The whole thing? Headunit, Front/Rear Speakers, Amps, Subs?

i dont actually know how to get a good sound...i dont know if it would be enough if i change the speakers or do i need anything else to make it better...at the moment i think changing the speakers would be enough...

ChrisMaz
25th December 2010, 12:16 AM
Stock Veccy Speakers aren't bad at all. The Headunit will give you best increase sound wise for the dollars spent.

Also remember to ask if the headunit will be compatible with the wheel controls as the car isn't full canbus. Only Half. Someone else can confirm 100%

greeny
25th December 2010, 12:52 AM
Best thing to do is start with the headunit. Changing the headunit will give clearer sound compared to the factory headunit. Plus you can get added functions such as iPod and AUX in and stuff.

If you are happy with just that, then leave it. Otherwise, take the next step and invest in some speakers. If you still aren't happy, invest in a sub+amp OR an amp to power the speakers.

But definately change the headunit.

vectra_
25th December 2010, 01:46 AM
how much do i have to spend to get a decent(quality) headunit? any ideas?

greeny
25th December 2010, 05:31 PM
For decent quality headunits, I'd go either a Pioneer or an Alpine.

Id say that you can get a decent single DIN headunit for about $250-400?
Look for something that has 2 or 3 Pre-Outs, this will make adding amps easier later. Also if it has 5V pre-outs, thats a benefit too as the amps wont need to be set as high.

Just research what you want in your headunit and make sure you find something you like. Also, go to shops and play around with the headunit you want to buy, before you buy it.

JB Hifi has 30% off all car audio tomorrow (Boxing day) so head down there and see if theres anything you like. And then get someone like Freeway Car Audio or Phat Audio Concepts to install for you.

Currently, theres a decent Alpine unit with USB, iPod, AUX in, Bluetooth, 200W and 2 RCA's for $387 - 30%.

Also, theres a Pioneer with the same, for $329 - 30%.

Also, someone with a vectra might need to clarify this, but im not sure if you will need a fascia kit or not.

SSS_Hoon
26th December 2010, 09:41 AM
its a hard question to answer though, as what u deem as sounding better is completely different to mine and to others.

U need to start as to what it is exactly u want from it. As just stating u want it to sound better isnt exactly helping.

Sound better in what way? U want more bass, u want more volume or u want it to sound clearer and cleaner.

A HU will help with most of that but will also depend on what u have to go with it. Just upgrading the HU will be a difference but will it be the difference your after?

IF u want more bass add a sub and a mono amp the amp would most likely need level inputs as not sure if the stock HU has RCA out or not. But in doing that it may over power the rest of the system.

If ur just after some cleaner sound i would say a new decent HU is a must, plus some new speakers to go with it with decent cabling.

Personally me, i would get a new HU have used alpine and have a older model 9815 HU that i paid alot more then the current top(so called) alpine model. A decent set of front splits running of a decent 2 ch amp and a sinlge sub running of a mono amp, you wouldnt need a massive monster amp either for the sub around the 200-500wrms would be enough and 75-150wrms for the fronts would be more then enough. I wouldnt worry about running any rear speakers id use the money to get better front speakers. Should be able to get all that for $1000-$2000 depending on the brand and level of gear u choose to go with. If u have some xtrra cash id sugest getting the doors with some sound deadening and diffusers for that xtra help with the SQ side of things.

Also recommend Marty at FHRX.

SSS_Hoon