PDA

View Full Version : More news Re: Opel back to Aust.

Wraith
13th December 2010, 01:06 PM
More news on the topic of Opel returning to Aust.

This article just posted on carsales today:
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/mpv-and-campervan/holden/opel-decision-imminent-holden-22882

If it happens, we've still got around the better part of 2 years to wait for some of the decent stuff to make its way down...

hazrd
13th December 2010, 01:16 PM
2 years, at least.... i would assume they would feed the market gradually with the low end "affordable and comparable" models then eventually start bringing over the high end performance OPC stuff

looking more positive, but the whole "yes they are, no they arent "rumors that went around a while back still has me in the "i will believe it when i see them in the country" phase

Wraith
13th December 2010, 01:23 PM
2 years, at least.... i would assume they would feed the market gradually with the low end "affordable and comparable" models then eventually start bringing over the high end performance OPC stuff

looking more positive, but the whole "yes they are, no they arent "rumors that went around a while back still has me in the "i will believe it when i see them in the country" phase

Agree - same here Adam.

Until it's reality, it's not even a concern for me and I wouldn't be holding out just because of it...

fezzick
14th December 2010, 12:24 PM
Well, it makes sense. The profit martgin just wasn't there with the previous Opel offerings which is why they switched to Daewoo as replacements for the small car range...BUT, if they're thinking about head-butting VW and those heavy-hitters, there's no way they can do that with an Asian-based platform. Bring it on.

Wraith
14th December 2010, 12:49 PM
Well, it makes sense. The profit martgin just wasn't there with the previous Opel offerings which is why they switched to Daewoo as replacements for the small car range...BUT, if they're thinking about head-butting VW and those heavy-hitters, there's no way they can do that with an Asian-based platform. Bring it on.

The GFC killed GM global which then killed GMH Australia's ability to continue buying the German sourced brand, hence GM Global and GMH promoting their Daewoo acquired brand for continuation of business...

Otherwise the GMH/Opel partnership would've been the same as it's always been had the GFC not killed GM global.

There would've been the gradual introduction of more Daewoo models here in Aust. but the core range/s of Opels such as the Astra would've remained...

Ice
14th December 2010, 01:02 PM
2012, right on time, so I can get me a new one :)

Shaun
17th December 2010, 12:16 AM
I was reading somewhere the other day if it happens Holden Will be handling here. It will be set up like Saab was. Meaning that certain Holden Dealers will be appointed as Opel dealers.

Red AH SRI T
17th December 2010, 03:55 PM
I was reading somewhere the other day if it happens Holden Will be handling here. It will be set up like Saab was. Meaning that certain Holden Dealers will be appointed as Opel dealers.

Holden will most probably be the importer, but no decision has been made yet on whether they will be sold buy current Holden dealers, or separate dealers. I would prefer separate dealers.

Alix
17th December 2010, 09:32 PM
I would prefer separate dealers.

Why's that? I would have thought that requiring a new network of dealers would make the exercise unviable - too much setup and overhead for what would have to be a niche brand.

Bloodnok
17th December 2010, 10:02 PM
At a guess, separate dealers would know the cars better, both during and after sale.

Vectracious
17th December 2010, 11:01 PM
makes sense to use Holden as a distribution network - infrastructure is already there - they can always build their own dealer network if selling Opels becomes viable enough in Australia

Same as servicing - why bother spending a shitload of money doing up dealerships when you've already got hundreds of Holden dealerships with Tech-2's all ready to go?

Bloodnok
18th December 2010, 09:42 AM
makes sense to use Holden as a distribution network - infrastructure is already there - they can always build their own dealer network if selling Opels becomes viable enough in Australia

Same as servicing - why bother spending a shitload of money doing up dealerships when you've already got hundreds of Holden dealerships with Tech-2's all ready to go?

Wasn't part of the problem previously that dealers didn't know about the Opel sourced "Holdens" - why would that change this time if the only difference is the badge isn't being changed for a Holden one before sale?

(I appreciate the startup costs would be vastly more for a separate network - and I suppose I'd prefer to be able to buy an Opel via Holden than not at all, but surely the best outcome from a consumer perspective, both during and after sale, would be dedicated dealerships?)

Vectracious
18th December 2010, 11:39 AM
Wasn't part of the problem previously that dealers didn't know about the Opel sourced "Holdens" - why would that change this time if the only difference is the badge isn't being changed for a Holden one before sale?

(I appreciate the startup costs would be vastly more for a separate network - and I suppose I'd prefer to be able to buy an Opel via Holden than not at all, but surely the best outcome from a consumer perspective, both during and after sale, would be dedicated dealerships?)

Just like with anything on the internet - you always hear about the bad experiences. Yes, there were some ignorant Holden dealers out there that didnt know what they were doing - but there were just as many dealerships where the service team were trained up on Opels and knew what they were doing. When we had the Veccy and Astra, Booran Holden, Penfold Holden and Alan Mance Holden were knowledgeable about each car and we had no major issues servicing the cars with them.

It might even be a fair assumption to say that Holden did offer its dealer network full training opportunities, but the opportunity wasn't taken up at the dealership level (I'm speculating here - happy to be told otherwise by someone who works for a Holden dealer) - leading to the general belief that Holden dealers don't know Opels. :)

fezzick
18th December 2010, 02:33 PM
I'd be very surprised if any reputable Holden dealer hadn't bothered to have their servicing staff properly trained in how to service the Opel-sourced cars. I mean, servicing is where they make most of their money, why would they run the risk of losing potential revenue by not having their staff up tlo speed with servicing the cars they sell and are required, at least for the period of the warranty, to fully support? It just doesn't make sense.

Vectracious
19th December 2010, 12:16 PM
I'd be very surprised if any reputable Holden dealer hadn't bothered to have their servicing staff properly trained in how to service the Opel-sourced cars. I mean, servicing is where they make most of their money, why would they run the risk of losing potential revenue by not having their staff up tlo speed with servicing the cars they sell and are required, at least for the period of the warranty, to fully support? It just doesn't make sense.

which takes us back to what Bloodnok said - if the dealers did do their bit about educating their service staff about Opels - why does the belief that Holden dealers don't know Opels exist?

Shaun
20th December 2010, 11:01 PM
Holden will most probably be the importer, but no decision has been made yet on whether they will be sold buy current Holden dealers, or separate dealers. I would prefer separate dealers.

I still think they will be tacked on to Holden Dealerships. These days most dealerships are multi franchises anyways.

PO15KA
21st December 2010, 03:47 PM
another "good news" is that the Polish factory won further contracts to build Astra IV, the convertible has just been announced to be build in Poland, Gliwice along the 5 and 3 door hatches and the 4 door sedans (the station wagos is built in UK) this can only spell one thing for AU since Poles get paid less than other Opel factories in EU we could get the Opel cars here sooner! ;) lets hope...

glider
21st December 2010, 03:53 PM
seeing quite a few holden dealers around with the GM badge aswell on their big sign out the front, so makes sense (in response to shaun)

Shaun
22nd December 2010, 10:38 PM
seeing quite a few holden dealers around with the GM badge aswell on their big sign out the front, so makes sense (in response to shaun)

I dont think all the dealer network will be offered the Opel Franshises. The larger ones like the Suttons , AHG, Heartland Automotive in sydney , AP Eggers in QLD etc would be on Holdens offer list i would dare say if it is to go that way

Red AH SRI T
26th December 2010, 05:25 PM

Holden dealers have had the GM symbol on their monoliths for years

[OPCSRi]
26th December 2010, 06:35 PM
I have word from a friend that works in GHM and the Opel Brand will be a stand alone Product in OZ. Also Opel will be on sale between mid to late 2011. Hmmm one new Astra J VXR on order soon.

Shaun
26th December 2010, 10:49 PM
;639922']I have word from a friend that works in GHM and the Opel Brand will be a stand alone Product in OZ. Also Opel will be on sale between mid to late 2011. Hmmm one new Astra J VXR on order soon.

Stand Alone but under the GMH Banner. Holdens Managing Director has openly said this in the media.