PDA

View Full Version : Laugh or Cry?

Gus
10th December 2010, 09:33 AM
Something funny happened this morning after all the lil problems my car has been giving me. I took the car down to holden(i know) yesterday morning to have the problems diagnosed. long story short - they rang me and said they cant tell me what the problem is cos its too heavily modified. :shocked:
i have a fmic with enlarged tophat, and a tune- which they were probably oblivious to. sounds like a cop out to me. well ive finally learned my lesson and its never going back there.
i only have 1.5 weeks of work left before holidays now so maybe you guys can help me find out whats going on?? ill post up the probs later today.
oh and holden are giving me a report of what it COULD be and charging me for an hours work.

Gus
10th December 2010, 02:12 PM
Ok here goes

around a month ago i hammered the car on 4-5km trip and since then the problems have started. on the next startup the emissions light switched on and i logged the code P0170. from then i noticed whenever the car was cold it would judder/bunny hop at low revs, but would disappear when at normal operating temp (95-100 i think). i learned to live with it for a while but then i had the engine light come on a couple weeks after. with the pedal test was now logging P1106. so im not sure whats going on here. another week after this, i was giving it a bit of stick on an onramp and the boost pipe which attaches to the turbo popped off, outlet hose from turbo to cooler. i got this back on an tightened.
now just the other day my cooling dash light came on and the temp creeped about 3/4 around the gauge, over 100, into territory ive never seen. i turned the car off and and inspected under the engine, there was a strange noise like a fan or something was struggling to operate. but i couldnt see any leaks of any kind. i got her home that night and let her sit in the garage for a couple of hours and then started her up to find white smoke.

wtf is going on? please if anyone has an idea please let me know, this is the first time ive faced problems with my astra and have loved her for her reliability up to this point. i have just received an op-com unit which i think might help me diagnose the problem but im not even sure what to look for and what variables would be considered "normal".

current mods are JBI intercooler with enlarged tophat and the flash tune from wayne/auz.

JohnBu
10th December 2010, 02:31 PM
I suppose once you find out the faults, you can start looking for a solution.

So you it still struggle at low revs when cold?

CNBLU
10th December 2010, 03:02 PM
Sounds likeafm or 02 sensor to me

Nurb608
10th December 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm guessing you didn't warm the car up before you took it out for your spirited drive? The first code is your fuel trim and the second one is your boost pressure sensor. Both codes are common for when you blow a hose off.

I'd reset the ecu so it can relearn the values and see if any of them come back.

In regards to the coolant light and white smoke, that sounds alot worse than any of your other issues unfortunately

nuggz
10th December 2010, 03:17 PM
agree with nurby

if it was a hard drive from cold, white smoke
could be something blown...

Gus
10th December 2010, 03:37 PM
head gasket?
i'll let u guys know what holden says about it. could be more funny business.
ill take a look at it myself over the weekend then off to AVO to get looked at.

AfterBurner
10th December 2010, 03:42 PM
How many K's on it?? Maybe turbo seal gone causing smoke...

White smoke = burning oil when it hits the exhaust manifold usually...

Is it on idle or when u give it a hit?? After an oil change i noticed mine blows smoke too but that's cos my oldies drive way is not level, once car is level it stops, never to be seen again...

Gus
10th December 2010, 03:57 PM
How many K's on it?? Maybe turbo seal gone causing smoke...

White smoke = burning oil when it hits the exhaust manifold usually...

Is it on idle or when u give it a hit?? After an oil change i noticed mine blows smoke too but that's cos my oldies drive way is not level, once car is level it stops, never to be seen again...

it has smoked from exhaust on 2 occasssions, and both were when i shut down after having the cooling system dash light. could it be extra oil being pumped into the turbo to cool it as a result of the coolant line being blocked? do they even get both a water and oil feed?

boorny88
10th December 2010, 04:28 PM
they get both feeds mate oil and coolant but not sure mine smokes on cold start up all the time and i still dont know what im dealing with i think its the turbo but im unsure ive got the same amount of kms on mine as yours but i only have an exhaust as my mod

Gus
11th December 2010, 09:58 AM
Holden have just confirmed the same error codes I got $113 later. Took it down to AVO and they said its probably AFM. They will chuck it on dyno and check the air/fuel levels. What's the fuse they need to pull?

CNBLU
11th December 2010, 02:50 PM
Hmmm afm you say huh? Lol

Fuse 23 mate

CORZZA
21st December 2010, 12:29 PM
My suggestion is you take it back to where you had your car tuned.

My guess would be you have a boost leak somewhere

ROCCO
28th December 2010, 09:10 PM
white smoke is usually something blown.at least thats what i got when i blew my engine after my head work

Gus
28th January 2011, 01:42 PM
Just thought id update the thread:

Car is all fixed and running beautifully. The AFM and MAP sensors were replaced as well as part of the loom under the MAP sensor. unfortunately i was o/s while the car was being fixed so the parts came from holden $$$$ :(

sooty
28th January 2011, 01:44 PM
At least it's sorted mate