PDA

View Full Version : Stebel Nautilus Horn

Katabolism
1st December 2010, 01:15 PM
I have just purchased myself one of the Compact Stebel Nautilus horns, for my 2007 AH

Now I am not 100% sure on how to hook it all up, anyone in Adelaide have any experience with this, or able to help at all.

Quick call to Holden, and they quoted $150 to install it, thats only 3x the price of the horn.. :lol:

Cheers
Chris

dutchy
1st December 2010, 10:17 PM
Get a quote from an automotive electrician or it could be it's as simple as hooking it up to your existing sounder wires.

Ice
1st December 2010, 10:46 PM
Can you post a pc of the connections to the horn ?

Neeko
1st December 2010, 10:58 PM
what exactly is it?
just a ridiculously loud horn?

hazrd
1st December 2010, 11:01 PM
what exactly is it?
just a ridiculously loud horn?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Stebel-Nautilus-Chrome-Compact-Car-Bike-Air-Horn-139dB-/130458140092?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5fe93dbc
139db :yikes:

Katabolism
1st December 2010, 11:09 PM
Awesomely loud horn ;)

The horn just has 2 spade connectors on it, so would really just be stripping the + and - wires back, and crimping in some spade connections, but want to make sure its right, moving states in a few weeks and really dont want anything to die on the car when i have to drive to Brissy in it soon.

I ended up dropping into an auto electrician on the way home from work, going to get it hooked up friday, so lots of fun to be had friday night :)

My neighbour in one of the units likes to beep her horn rather hard at 6:30am to annoy me, so i think i might do the same now, she wont win hehehe

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/stebel-nautilus/nautilus-horns.jpg

Thats what it looks like, connectors and all

Neeko
1st December 2010, 11:10 PM
holy crap!

Neeko
1st December 2010, 11:13 PM
Awesomely loud horn ;)

The horn just has 2 spade connectors on it, so would really just be stripping the + and - wires back, and crimping in some spade connections, but want to make sure its right, moving states in a few weeks and really dont want anything to die on the car when i have to drive to Brissy in it soon.

I ended up dropping into an auto electrician on the way home from work, going to get it hooked up friday, so lots of fun to be had friday night :)

My neighbour in one of the units likes to beep her horn rather hard at 6:30am to annoy me, so i think i might do the same now, she wont win hehehe

just a matter of connecting + & - up to their corresponding wires. Super simple.

Ice
1st December 2010, 11:27 PM
F#@k that's horn! ;) might get an auto elec to do that for me, I'm sick of my eeny weeny horn. How much did he say he would charge ?

metry
1st December 2010, 11:52 PM
in my room i have a plymouth raodrunner horn still in the box. the one that goes beep beep

Katabolism
1st December 2010, 11:53 PM
just a matter of connecting + & - up to their corresponding wires. Super simple.

Yeah in principle, but the shroud that is around the stock horn needs to be ripped up and cut to make way, and there has been talk on the UK forums of it blowing the wiring, unless a relay is put in and stuff.
Knowing myself, im sure id kill my car somehow lol

Ice: the guy i saw said about $90, very pricey but at least it should be done right.

glider
1st December 2010, 11:56 PM
if you just go and plug it in you'll probably trip the fuse as the new horn will draw far more current than the old one (given the output of this horn). Unless you know how to wire in the relay get an auto electrician to do it

Ice
2nd December 2010, 08:09 AM
Ice: the guy i saw said about $90, very pricey but at least it should be done right.

oh look i suppose $90 is really not to bad considering that he will have to put a relay in. better than Holden in any case.

Wraith
2nd December 2010, 08:22 AM
holy crap!

+ 1 LOL :lol:

Just what you need for those Sunday drivers out there :D

Katabolism
2nd December 2010, 10:21 AM
oh look i suppose $90 is really not to bad considering that he will have to put a relay in. better than Holden in any case.

Absolutely, holden wanted $150 a hour just to look at it... forget that I say

Once its in, ill get the gopro out and take some footage of it :D

Katabolism
3rd December 2010, 05:08 PM
Well horn is in, $69 for install, not to bad really, saved me from having to do it in this hot weather.

Huuuuuge improvement over the stock horn, if anyone is interested, ill get some GoPro footage or something on the weekend and chuck it up.

This should annoy my neighbour nicely I think

Quick video on You Tube.

Stebel Nautilus Air Horn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2hMkFSRKFo)

Katabolism
4th December 2010, 02:38 PM
And today it now doesnt work.. seriously wtf.

Back to the auto electrician on Monday, suffice to say I am pretty p****d off now.

Bloody car...

JohnBu
7th December 2010, 10:25 AM
Just wondering, isn't the standard horn in the AH loud enough?

I know the TS as a very loud horn.

hazrd
7th December 2010, 10:27 AM
the one in our H is pretty loud, but hearing this stebel one on the youtube video makes the standard H horn sound like a whisper :lol:

Neeko
7th December 2010, 10:37 AM
the one in our H is pretty loud, but hearing this stebel one on the youtube video makes the standard H horn sound like a whisper :lol:
depending on how loud your speakers go

Katabolism
7th December 2010, 11:15 AM
Just wondering, isn't the standard horn in the AH loud enough?

I know the TS as a very loud horn.

For me nope, the AH is a pretty weak horn.

Its almost as bad as the one on my Husky, and thats not the best either.

This one is far far better and louder which is great.

I forgot to take a quick vid of the stocker horn, just as a comparison before i got it installed, but im sure there are plenty of those around.

Ends up being a Piece of cake to put in as well, just make sure you have a 25amp fuse for it.

JohnBu
7th December 2010, 11:46 AM
25amps!

It's drawing 300 watts of power?

Katabolism
7th December 2010, 12:05 PM
25amps!

It's drawing 300 watts of power?

Well no.

The stock fuse is 15amp, and its blown once already with that, so the 25a one was just the one the guy chucked in there, it may only draw 16A, not sure, but that is enough to blow a 15A fuse at least.

EDIT: Bit of checking into it whilst im doing nothing at work, it needs a fuse rated to >19amps, so really a 20amp will do the job.

JohnBu
7th December 2010, 02:29 PM
drawing 16 amps will not blow a 15amp fuse.

a 15amp fuse may sustain 25 or 30amps over a few seconds (horn) without blowing.

anyway, is the fuse for the horn, or protecting the cable?

Katabolism
7th December 2010, 03:49 PM
Well when i "think" it died, i was on the horn for a good 5 or so seconds, so i believe that would have done it.

Nah no inline fuse, just the standard one that is in the fusebox under the bonnet.

What was odd, is that the manual says that slot 8 is for the horn and its a 15amp one, yet there is only a 10amp one in slot 8, and that the one that blew was slot 20, which was for the a/c iirc. That was the one that got replaced with a 25amp, from the 15amp.

delemonte
8th December 2010, 09:54 PM
If you're still blowing the fuse for the horn, then they didn't utilise a relay (or didn't wire it in properly). If it draws 19 amps and the stock one has a 10 amp fuse, it's very dodgy to just replace with a larger fuse without checking the factory wiring can carry the current! They should being using a relay so the fuse in the fusebox sees about 50mA and then have a 20 amp fuse in line with the relay source.

Katabolism
8th December 2010, 10:45 PM
That was my thoughts as well, the horn comes with a relay, and I questioned why it wasnt used, and the guy said " these cars have one already " ..... I wasnt to impressed there, but it wouldnt be that hard to put one in anyway.

The fuse that blew wasnt the actual horn one that the manual says either, so im not sure whats up with that. Was there a misprint in the manual ?

So far the fuse is working, will see if it blows again.