PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choice

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 10:02 AM
Just been told by the garage that my rear tyres are below minimum tread, and the fronts aren't far off.

Asked what tyres they'd recommend for the car (looking for a set of four - maybe five if the spare needs doing too), and was recommended Nexen CP661s - at $130 per wheel fitted and balanced today.

I mentioned the Kumho recommendation I'd received from here previously, and he can get them (tomorrow, not today), but he doesn't rate them - he says the Nexen option will perform better, last longer, and be a lot cheaper.

This surprises me - as cheaper isn't normally better - that's not generally how the world works, unless you're simply paying for a name.

I've done a quick Google for the Nexen, and there are some mixed feelings - people don't seem to regard them as "cheap chinese tyres of death", but they aren't exactly considered a performance product either.

Given that the Vectra is used predominantly a motorway cruiser, and I'm not in a particularly good financial situation at the moment, I'm inclined to go with the cheaper option if they aren't likely to be a problem. And a matched set of anything is probably better than the mismatched bunch of randoms I have right now (I've got three different types of tyre on the car at the moment). The fact they can get them today, and I can have my car back to go to work tomorrow is also playing on my mind...

What are people's thoughts about this? I need to call the garage back soon if I'm going to get them today...

guy 27
1st December 2010, 10:26 AM
He probably makes a better profit by selling you the nexens.

I'd go the kuhmo's over the nexens any day of the week.

xplosv57
1st December 2010, 10:28 AM
what size you looking for??

and +1 Guy, Nexens are awful, have been in two accidents (one driving, one as passenger) where if the car had better tyres, the accident would not have occured!!

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 10:35 AM
Okay, so Nexen are out. I can't remember all of the numbers on the tyres - but the wheels are the factory option 16" wheels on a V6 Vectra B. I'd go look at the car, but it's at the garage at the moment...

xplosv57
1st December 2010, 10:38 AM
Go on eBay mate, i guessed 205/50 r16, theres plenty of choices. You can get Michelin Pilot Precedas for $165, a MUCH better tyre.

But confirm the size if you can and post it up, anything to save you from the dreaded Nexens!!

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 10:52 AM
Okay, only other choice he can get me today is a Maxxis i-Pro. Ordering deadline in 10 minutes. On a quick search this seems to be a better choice than the Nexen - and he's really not complimentary at all about the Kumho KU31 - saying it's oughtright not a good tyre to have.

guy 27
1st December 2010, 10:59 AM
I have run on ku-31's and they are a dam good tyre for the price.

sooty
1st December 2010, 11:10 AM
Okay, only other choice he can get me today is a Maxxis i-Pro. Ordering deadline in 10 minutes. On a quick search this seems to be a better choice than the Nexen - and he's really not complimentary at all about the Kumho KU31 - saying it's oughtright not a good tyre to have.

Just sounds like he doesn't want you to buy kumho's because he won't make any money on them. I've only heard positive things about them and know a lot of people running the 31's or 36's

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 11:15 AM
Just sounds like he doesn't want you to buy kumho's because he won't make any money on them. I've only heard positive things about them and know a lot of people running the 31's or 36's

That's what I'm wondering too - I've not heard anything bad about them on the web (well, maybe they aren't the longest lasting, but that's hardly a major design flaw.)

Deadline for ordering the Maxxis i-Pro has passed, so I've asked for the car back with the existing tyres (they'll finish the rest of the service but not change the tyres) and I'm going to ring around a few places and see what I can get later in the week, or maybe next week.

Nurb608
1st December 2010, 11:23 AM
I had the kumho ku36's on the nurb until recently. 15,000k's with 3 track days and there is still tread on them.

hazrd
1st December 2010, 01:00 PM
another +1 on KU31's
seen how they perform on another members V6 Vectra B (18s though not 16s), and they perform very well. or as xplosv above mentioned the Pilots, also a good tyre :)

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 01:33 PM
Okay, car back home now. Whoever said 205/55/R16, you were spot on. Time to phone around and see who does what. There's a fair few tyre shops all within a kilometer or so (at least 5 IIRC) so someone ought to be able to do me a reasonable deal. And if no-one can, then someone will no doubt be able to quote me for fitting and balancing of tyres sourced from elsewhere.

xplosv57
1st December 2010, 01:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Pirelli-P7-205-55-R16-91V-Tyre-/290505232154?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a3760f1a

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/205-55-16-KUMHO-KU31-SET-4-TYRES-BMW-MERCEDES-/180585959422?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0bc30ffe

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-4-X-205-55-16-GOODYEAR-NCT-TYRES-MAZDA-BMW-VW-/230554541921?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae1f1f61

couple of better suggestionf for you there

Bloodnok
1st December 2010, 03:05 PM
Okay, phoned a different place - now been quoted $660 to supply, fit and balance 4 Kumho KU31s - and this guy was much more enthusiastic about the tyre, though did note they commonly wear unevenly, and thus have a shorter lifespan than similar tyres. He also recommended that I go visit the shop first before deciding, and wanted to upsell me to a slightly more expensive Goodyear, which he said had similar performance, but more even wear characteristics - and may thus last significantly longer.

There's obviously a bit of profit in that price compared to the eBay listing for four at $440, but once you factor in delivery to QLD, fitting and balancing, and being able to go back and have them rotated and rebalanced free of charge for the life of the tyre - probably not a significant amount.

On the subject of wear, I've got a KU31 (just the one :lol:) on my right rear at the moment, so I've been out to have a poke at it. The tread looks good if fairly low on the outside, but having stuck my head under the car to look at the inside, I can see what they mean about uneven wear. It's through the tread, and it's by far the most problematic tyre out of the set. I know it's been on there for the last 42,000km though, and I also know it wasn't new then, so it's done a fair old distance, but still - the other three have stood up a lot better.

guy 27
1st December 2010, 03:10 PM
tyre wear will never wear even unless you get a wheel allignment every 6 months or 10 000km (which ever is first) and rotate the tyres at least once in that period of time.

on the subject of wheel allignments. I'd suggest getting one done once you have the new tyres fitted so you don't prematurely wear them out.

metry
1st December 2010, 04:43 PM
i have ku31s on my astra and they grip well. only issue is they are wearing pretty quick but im a little harsh when i drive. mum has proxes 4s on her lancer and imo theyre a better tyre cause they grip just as well as the ku31s but you get more tread out of them

dutchy
1st December 2010, 04:52 PM
For that money, I have put dunlop fast response on my car. The guys here offered that one to try as the last ones I had only lasted 15.000 k. and I complained about that. Not sure if these are better than any of the other tyres as recommended here but time will tell. I must say though that there's less road noise with these tyres than with any other ones I've had on the car in the past and loads of grip.

Neeko
1st December 2010, 10:08 PM
just like metry my last 2 tyre choices were Toyo Proxes 4 and Kumho Ku31, both grip just as good, Kumho bit more noisy and wears faster, Toyo has softer sidewalls thus more prone to body roll.

Tyres I currently have completely blew me away for the price i paid for them.

$108 per corner, balanced, aligned and fitted.

Kenda Kaiser KR20... I never thought much of kenda but these honestly changed my mind, excellent tyre!

CNBLU
1st December 2010, 10:19 PM
+1 for ku31

metry
1st December 2010, 10:51 PM
just like metry my last 2 tyre choices were Toyo Proxes 4 and Kumho Ku31, both grip just as good, Kumho bit more noisy and wears faster, Toyo has softer sidewalls thus more prone to body roll.

the kumhos are noisier and my rear tyres have uneven wear but thats cause my rear shocks are gone. i do find though on the proxes 4s that they do tramline more than the ku31s. but then again the tyres are different sizes. the proxes 4s are 225/35/20s while the ku31s are 215/35/19s

Bloodnok
2nd December 2010, 02:12 PM
More places called. Bob Jane wanted to sell me their own brand tyre, which some searching reveals doesn't seem to have a particularly good rep. Another place offered me a set of four Triangle Talons for $575 fitted and balanced. Some searching reveals that while these are a chinese brand, people don't hate them like certain others. KU31s looking good at the moment - an extra $85 for a known quantity rather than yet another brand I'd not previously heard of...

Nurb608
2nd December 2010, 05:27 PM
DO NOT PUT TRIANGLES ON YOUR CAR

Sorry for the shouting, but was the only way :)

Milesy
2nd December 2010, 06:33 PM
Seriously I wouldn't consider anything other than a well known brand European or Japanese tyre. As far as I'm concerned anything to do with cars that is made in Korea or China is RUBBISH.

I suggest you go to CostCo as you can get cheap Michelins and Bridgestones there.

guy 27
2nd December 2010, 06:40 PM
I suggest you go to CostCo as you can get cheap Michelins and Bridgestones there.

We don't have costco in brissy

Bloodnok
2nd December 2010, 07:31 PM
DO NOT PUT TRIANGLES ON YOUR CAR

Sorry for the shouting, but was the only way :)

No problem :)

I've since found a thread on a British thread describing them in most uncomplimentary terms.

There's also something rather comical about calling a tyre manufacturing company triangle.

Bloodnok
2nd December 2010, 07:35 PM
We don't have costco in brissy

Seconded. Driving to Victoria on the tyres I have is something I want to avoid ;)

metry
2nd December 2010, 08:09 PM
my dad used to sell triangles (among other tyres) in his old job. the name says enough

bender
2nd December 2010, 10:28 PM
if you want something that wears well call up jax quick fit and ask for a price on a set of BF GOODRICH g force sport personally they are a great tyre very grippy especially in the wet and wear very evenly and i know a couple people on hear that will agree

just my 2c

nuggz
2nd December 2010, 11:07 PM
I CBF reading through all of this, my tyre supplier who doesn't take a cut from me says for the money KU31's are right up there, last 2 sets have taken me to around 40thou k's with some harsh treatment. They do become quiet harsh When they're worn, but I can live with it for the price.

My last set were 180 fitted for 18/225/40

Bloodnok
3rd December 2010, 07:25 AM
call up jax quick fit

They are the place that told me Kumho KU31s were crap, and I'd be better off with Nexen CP661s. Don't think I'll be going there for anything.

Neeko
3rd December 2010, 08:30 AM
They are the place that told me Kumho KU31s were crap, and I'd be better off with Nexen CP661s. Don't think I'll be going there for anything.
where abouts in SE QLD are you?

JohnBu
3rd December 2010, 08:35 AM
Bridgestone Re001a.

Mid price tyre that does everyone well. Quiet also.

My default tyre recommendation.

(bit pricier than KU31s)

xplosv57
3rd December 2010, 08:37 AM
Bridgestone Re001a.

Mid price tyre that does everyone well. Quiet also.

My default tyre recommendation.

(bit pricier than KU31s)

+1 fantastic tyre on the road and fared fairly well on track as well

i only recommended the KU31's cos they're cheaper, but the RE001's were my choice in the same size when i had to buy tyres recently for my 16s.

Bloodnok
3rd December 2010, 09:15 AM
where abouts in SE QLD are you?

Browns Plains. Right next to Guy, apparently.

Neeko
3rd December 2010, 10:07 AM
Browns Plains. Right next to Guy, apparently.
i work at Huebner Toyota in Beaudesert and get trade price at our local tyre shop. Find a price on the tyre of your choice and get back to me. If you want to I can get you a price from here and organise it for you. Only catch is you have to come to Beauy.

Bloodnok
3rd December 2010, 10:52 AM
i work at Huebner Toyota in Beaudesert and get trade price at our local tyre shop. Find a price on the tyre of your choice and get back to me.

Think I'm going to go with the Kumho KU31s - I simply can't ignore the large number of recommendations from this thread.

Been quoted $660 for 4x Kumho KU31s 205/55/R16, fitted and balanced, including a wheel alignment, and with lifetime-of-the-tyre free rebalancing and rotating. Or from this thread via the bay of e - $480 plus delivery (probably plus GST as well) plus fitting plus balancing plus alignment, so unlikely to be much lower.

If you want to I can get you a price from here and organise it for you. Only catch is you have to come to Beauy.

Yes please - Beaudesert isn't far, I can do that :)

Neeko
3rd December 2010, 11:02 AM
Think I'm going to go with the Kumho KU31s - I simply can't ignore the large number of recommendations from this thread.

Been quoted $660 for 4x Kumho KU31s 205/55/R16, fitted and balanced, including a wheel alignment, and with lifetime-of-the-tyre free rebalancing and rotating. Or from this thread via the bay of e - $480 plus delivery (probably plus GST as well) plus fitting plus balancing plus alignment, so unlikely to be much lower.

Yes please - Beaudesert isn't far, I can do that :)

let me make a quick call

I got $636, she's gonna call me back to see if she can go lower.

adam_92
3rd December 2010, 11:23 AM
dont get triangles. the previous owner of the gsi put them on and they are shit!!! im gonna throw a spanner in the works and reccomend toyo teo's. i put a set on the vectra and i couldnt fault them at all. but in saying that iv never had kumho ku31's and they seem to be the most reccomended tyre

Milesy
3rd December 2010, 11:24 AM
Just remember you pay for what you get. Price is just one factor and remember if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

I'd forget the Korean Kuhmos and stick to the better quality Bridgestone or Michelin rubber if I were you. There is a good reason why all decent car manufacturers (ie non Korean) don't use Kuhmo or Hankook Tyres as OE!

adam_92
3rd December 2010, 11:30 AM
Just remember you pay for what for. Price is just one factor and remember if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

+1 theres a reason why cheap tyres are cheap... because there sh1t

metry
3rd December 2010, 11:39 AM
for what i paid for my ku31s i challange you to find me a better tyre. not everyone can afford the best tyres but the kumhos give exceptional performance for the money. i picked mine up for 165 a corner fitted and theyre 215/35/19s. now i had recieved a discount cause my dads mate owns the workshop and he does all our mechanical work but most people must pay full price for tyres. now i must say i was sus about running kumhos on my car mainly cause my old vk had shit tyres causing me to crash and kumhos image is nothing like bridgestones. but these tryes have changed my mind on the kumhos. now the kumhos might not be as good as bridgestones etc but the give exeptional all weather performance for the money. now ive only done 15k on mine and must admit mine are around 50% tread but i thrash my car and these tyres are still very sticky. the only thing i can fault them on is noise.

guy 27
3rd December 2010, 12:00 PM
Just remember you pay for what for. Price is just one factor and remember if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

I'd forget the Korean Kuhmos and stick to the better quality Bridgestone or Michelin rubber if I were you. There is a good reason why all decent car manufacturers (ie non Korean) don't use Kuhmo or Hankook Tyres as OE!

I agree with you 100% (except I find bridgestones shit TBH)

but the Ku31's are a very good tyre. Only downside I had with mine (215 35 18) was the road noise which was way above what any tyre should have. Otherwise grip levels in all weather conditions was very nice.
Having said that though i have driven cars with the lower graded kuhmos and found them to be rubbish.

Milesy
3rd December 2010, 02:12 PM
From my point of view I look at tyres as a fundamental safety feature as they are all you have between you and the road and therefore would never skimp on cheaper lesser known brand tyres.

So when I get new tyres on my SRi-T in the next 12 months I will be replacing them with either the OE Continental SC2's or Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I know they will be about double what you pay for Kuhmos but IMO at the end of the day it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

guy 27
3rd December 2010, 02:15 PM
i'd go the Pilot sport 2 over the 3. best tyre on the market hands down.

Bloodnok
4th December 2010, 12:50 PM
Okay, just booked it in for Wednesday. 4x Linglong ditchfinders - no, only joking, I am getting the Kumho KU31s everyone recommends. Be good to have some respectable rubber on the fronts for once, and some with some life in them on the back as well...

CNBLU
4th December 2010, 02:36 PM
Kuhmos fixed my traction issues. They are a very good tyre.

balker
5th December 2010, 12:29 PM
Got 4x KU31s (215/45R17 - XL - Extra Load) for $105 each plus delivery (about $50) from option1 garage:

http://www.option1garage.com.au/NewTyres.htm

Used them for track day and daily use. I love'em..

Bloodnok
11th December 2010, 02:21 PM
Okay, got 4 KU31s on the car now. Had them for about 250km - and for the first 200 the wheel alignment was way off. That's been fixed now. They are still a touch out of balance (vibration at 100-110km/h, most obvious on lift-off / low throttle conditions), but this is after two attempts to get the garage to balance them properly, so I'm not sure if I'm just being picky, or the car is very sensitive to slight imbalances, or they simply don't have a good enough balancing machine at that garage.

Anyway, took it out for a quick trip around today - grip in both dry and wet/greasy conditions appears good - I gave it the beans out of a T junction (sharp left) with water running across the road as well, and the traction control didn't so much as bat an eyelid. I did eventually get the TC to kick in by dumping it into second with rather too many revs on, while going up a hill in greasy conditions, but that was more of an abuse / limit finding exercise than any normal "spirited driving".

Now If only I could get them balanced properly, I'd be very happy...