PDA

View Full Version : Whats your project?

Anonymous
5th February 2004, 09:48 PM
Basically this is a post where we can put up the current 'projects' or things we are doing to our cars. Possible get help, get ideas, etc.

Currently i'm working on my ICE. Building my boot to house 2 Rockford 12" and an amp of some sort. Will be using a heap of different materials. MDF, glass, perspex and some fibre-glassing aswell. Thats my main project for the moment.

The most important thing i ned to do atm is wash and clean my car! Once i wash it, i know my power-to-weight ratio will improve :D

So what are you guys working on atm, if anything at all, or what have you got planned for the future?

frankie9fingers
5th February 2004, 09:59 PM
after i've paid off a few debts to the mafia (the only reason i'm still alive is thanks to gianni and tony) i shall:
Lower by 30mm
Finally get around to doing the exhaust
Finally get around to doing the mod airbox
Bonnet scoops
Colour code
Flame vinyls (don't care what u think! i rekon they're cool. i've been playing wayyyyy tooooo muchhhhh need for speed)

motor wise, setup heads and cam for small psi turbo

Degen-Astra
5th February 2004, 10:15 PM
Clear my debt first! (ON THE HOME STRETCH NOW!!)

Brake upgrades - Looking at going for an EBC pad and Rotor combination.
Exhaust and Manifold upgrade - a 4 into 1 header - Possibly a Remus exhaust...but make the thing quiet, but still with some kick.
Wheels - Get some nice 17's for my car. Maybe some Lenso or GMax.
Grille - Front mesh grille for bonnet and between the fog lights.
May lower it at the same time i get the wheels done
Side mirrors - with indicators

Interior -
New leather gear boot and handbrake gaiter in a dark or royal blue color.
Do the dash surround in the same color paint
New front seats and may retrim the rear seats.
Red footwell lighting - yes, neons on the INSIDE. Just to light up the footwells. Red light district! :wink:

ICE -
Amp - Type to be decided
Speakers - new splits front and back

Optimistic? YOU BETCHA! :lol:

Jass
6th February 2004, 05:46 AM
For me..

This weekend change my mX force muffler which has a whole on it from a faulty bracket.
Next weekend installing my ICE (finally). Pioneer H/U trying to hook it up to remote control on sterring wheels too (might be tricky).
Scheinder amp 800 RMS x2 digital amp, Blapunkt 400 RMS x 4 amp, and my JVC 6 inch splits at the front.

The week after put my new BOV in the car, and install my under car neons too.

mr_astra_retired
6th February 2004, 07:51 AM
Well pick up the SRI turbo next thursday , take it home , install BOV and opel badges , de-restrict air box and put a k&n filter in and hopefully the day after get a new exhaust.

Dont plan on putting a big system in this car as im sick of all the rattles that the Astra F has from the 2x12ich kicker subs in the boot.

Future mods include lookin at some ecu upgrade and lowered suspension.

ultim8DTM5
6th February 2004, 08:24 AM
Clear my debt first! (ON THE HOME STRETCH NOW!!)

ICE -
Amp - Type to be decided
Speakers - new splits front and back

Optimistic? YOU BETCHA! :lol:

Buy my amp, its in the FS section! :)

I've got my ICE gear organised, just waiting on it to arrive from Germany then it can be installed. The car will be a demo car for Sydney/NSW for two brands of audio...which means I have to change all my interior lighting to blue and some EL guages. Might have to retrim the Barina's doors in vinyl depends on the installer and what he thinks.

Of course, those eyelids need to be put on from Sed Efrika.

After that, buy some rubber for the 16" SRi wheels I have in the garage, or sell them and go to 17s.

Then it's onto a Reiger kit but that can wait til next year.

InsaneAsylum
6th February 2004, 12:00 PM
most of the mods will be fixing fuxored things, servicing and maintaining the bloody thing. probably get around to fixing my exhaust rattle and getting new tires sooner or later.

Anonymous
6th February 2004, 03:43 PM
My Plans involve: Building up the Spare Z22SE to TOP SECRET Specs. I'd tell ya more I would have to kill ya's and trust me I'll do it :twisted:
Put on the 19"s that are on Order :D
Get a Fart Cannon Exhaust.
And the Hardest of all
HOW THE FVCK am i gunna get a Frieghtliner Intercooler behind the Stock SRi Bar :twisted:

ultim8DTM5
6th February 2004, 06:31 PM
Spare Z22SE? How much was it?

Anonymous
6th February 2004, 11:11 PM

Like the Line says: I could tell ya, But I would have to kill ya.
But for al times sake, It was $500 Came out of a Smashed Zafira @ EKW(East Keilor Wrecker) My mate Used to work there, And That Is a Wrap.
Stay Tuned, If I can be Fvcked starting Mods.

imad4u
7th February 2004, 12:05 AM
hmm Corsa b :roll:

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 04:32 AM
Project... umm.. fit new EBC brakes to the rear end and find some cheap 16" rubber. Other than that, nothing.

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 08:53 AM
@#%$&!*$& damn European cars.. why do they have to make life so damn difficult for the repairer?? I'm in the process of doing the back brake pads and even that is becoming to be a big pain in the ass with their weird and wonderful ways.

Jass
7th February 2004, 02:22 PM
You could cut the front bar if u really wanna fit a bigger intercooler, but then again cops could defect u?

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 04:03 PM

Like the Line says: I could tell ya, But I would have to kill ya.
But for al times sake, It was $500 Came out of a Smashed Zafira @ EKW(East Keilor Wrecker) My mate Used to work there, And That Is a Wrap.
Stay Tuned, If I can be Fvcked starting Mods.

****ing nice deal! I'll scout around and see if I can find one.

Brake pads are a bitch, even with Torx head drivers! I got them changed professionally to keep my sanity...

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 04:18 PM
Fronts were quite easy apart from that stupid wire thing that used to hold everything together but at least you didn't have to twist the friggen brake pistons. I miss working on Japanese designed cars. Does every other manufacturers use torx screws??? I don't think Subaru have done it but we shall see very soon when I get that car... I can understand the reason for torx heads but why didn't they make it a standard for every tool? Even the friggen rear shock bolts are torx nuts... GRRRRRR...

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 04:59 PM
I couldn't undo the fronts at all, I didn't have Torx and there was too much Loctite on when I got one off.

I think its only Euro's that have them? Maybe just Lucas...

Subaru don't use them; I've done a MY01 WRX and they were normal heads and is a relatively simple affair compared to the Barina/Astra etc etc.

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 05:15 PM
What I do is use my 1/4" drive ratchet and then put at the end of that a figgen long extension bar from my 1/2" drive set with the spark plug socket and use that as a leverage bar. Dodgy as hell (not to mention absolutely hammers the 1/4" ratchet) but it does the job.

Not that I'll be working on Subaru.... but I hope the latest Liberty doesn't have those stupid nuts.

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I was using a similar setup with a crow bar for leverage and the head was starting to skip so didn't want to bugger them up permanently

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 05:55 PM
Well, I'll give them a free plug.. JBS is the brand... damn reliable and never stuffed up for years. I think I've had them for > 5 yrs now. Sidchrome is the 1/2" one.

I think the trick is to apply the pressure progressively rather than just yanking on the lever.

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 05:58 PM
Well they weren;t moving at all, yanking was out.

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 06:00 PM
I want those mega long breaker bars that's like 1.5m in length. Especially with those grease monkeys using the rattle guns, they'll tighten the wheel nuts so much it's not funny. I did break a 17mm socket once trying to take off the wheel nut.

What do u think of Kingchrome?

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 06:13 PM
Not too fussed on tools, as long as they get the job done.
I make a mental note that if lugs are on too tight when I'm on the side of the road with a flat, I'm ringing them to take them off for me!!!

BTW my tyre brace sockets are round instead of threaded. Yes, all four.

So I need some new tools.

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah.. those pissy tools in the tool kit in the boot are hopeless to undo the nuts unless they have been done by hand. Even standing on the lever won't budge. At least before a long trip, I carry the breaker bar and the 17mm socket.

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 06:16 PM
The jack is a piece of shit! Barina XC one anyway

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 06:18 PM
Didn't change much since the VB Commodore days.. those one arm jacks are crap.

ultim8DTM5
7th February 2004, 08:05 PM
Any recommendations?

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 08:42 PM
Any scissors jack is better than the one arm variety. At home I'm using those $60 K-Mart jobs.. hasn't leaked yet in the 2-3 yrs I've had them.

Dregger
8th February 2004, 09:35 AM
ANYWAY

getting back to the topic...

I'm getting some koni shocks in a couple of weeks. and when they come i can also put my SRi springs on which i've had sitting under my bed for a year. so handeling

then after that pay off my debt,.....i'm like nick, on the home stretch.
ocne thats beeen done then i can start to get serious about mods.

order will be.

fix up scratches and get colour coded and paint and install rear HBD apron and reiger front lower lip. aesthetic

new zorst and get larger intake pipe for airbox (Gianni, u know which one i'm talking about) performance

then new 17's. handeling+aesthetic

then maybe upgrade amp and speakers. then finally entertainment.

then i'd probably say thats all i would want to do. i'd be content with all that.

George Costanza
8th February 2004, 12:41 PM
Here's my to do list:

1) I still haven't fitted my fogs and SRi front lip yet. So I gotta do that someday.

2) Colour code the usual trimmings. I'm waiting to bump into a neighbour, who does spray painting at home, so he can gimme a price.

3) Eventually I gotta lower it. It's just too high. It looks like a 4wd.

4) I need a new exhaust. The standard one is full of holes. Plus extractors.

5) Maybe upgrade the speakers.

Anonymous
9th February 2004, 12:51 AM
-Remove side impact strips
-Put on SRi front lower lip
-Have the small "chipped"bit of the side skirts filled up
-Have the front lower lip and sideskirts painted to match the car
-Slam the ride height (looking into this)
-Replace the rear silencer
-Remove engine cover and have cam cover painted in gold
-Have all calipers painted in gold
-Change all brake pads and fluid for better products
-Retrim interior in two tone color scheme
-Buy another sub and amp to finish my system

FINALLY
-Wait for a 2.2l wreck to come along, and have this rebuilt to some serious spec's.

Hey, I did buy this as a bomb, and look what I did with a weasly 17 year olds wage.
http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/10104080081_0_-med.jpg

Features included mild lowering, 18 inch rims, small engine mods, retrimming standard interior, nice bassy system, etc, etc. Considering my age, I worked my ass off and reaped the awards! Still managed to do it during the HSC, and still got good marks.

Um, a little about myself when it comes to car mods. If I like something, I settle on it, and go full steam ahead.

Degen-Astra
11th February 2004, 05:42 PM
Been undecided about these for a little while...but looking at a set of these for the 'STRA...made by hella, so a bit more sold on the matter.
http://www.raid-rdi.com/deutsch/karosserie/pics/gross/610026.jpg

Dont think they would look good with the rectangular fogs though...Unless i change them as well with a new front bar! :?

Comments on the pic?

Jass
11th February 2004, 05:50 PM
what i wanna know is were the heck to get this lights i reckon they look awsome would love to put them on the astra

Degen-Astra
11th February 2004, 06:20 PM
Those ones are made by Hella and i beleive are halogens. You can get Xenon or part Xenon kits as well.

www.pvdnet.co.uk
www.tuning.co.uk
www.regal-shop.co.uk

These are the only places i have found them so far.

Anonymous
11th February 2004, 07:08 PM
I've certainly decided on a set.... i'm just waitng for the right price to come around :wink:

Degen-Astra
11th February 2004, 07:22 PM
HAAA HAA!! And I thought everyone hated them! :lol:

frankie9fingers
11th February 2004, 07:45 PM
Nah, they've always turned me on. even for the barina. it's just the cost that holds me back.

Anonymous
11th February 2004, 07:45 PM
anythings better than the ones i got now that fog up everytime i wash the car or it rains.

ive always wanted em.... its just that there bloody steep!

M40COO
11th February 2004, 08:11 PM
Hey guys have you thought about doing this with the lights:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith_forrest/Car%20pics/AE1.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith_forrest/Car%20pics/AE3.JPG
A guy in the UK, is going to be making kits up for around £40 plus P&P.

They do light up the rest of the light as well, but the main bit is obviously the ring.
They wire into your sidelight connector and then work as sidelights.
He will also include all fitting instructions as it's quite easy to do yourself, once you've split the headlight.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith_forrest/Car%20pics/100_1429.JPG
You can then at this stage spray the Chrome surround gloss black for that "Coupe" look. Or colour code them.
Re-sealing them is NOT a problem. You just need to take care.

What do you think?

Degen-Astra
11th February 2004, 08:15 PM
Freaking better...as i do like my current head lights that offer that "Wrap around" headlight look.

Have you got a pic of them lit up / fitted?

**EDIT** - I take it the second pic is the lit up one.

dazza015
11th February 2004, 08:18 PM
Well....once the finances allow it

1) Colour Code all black bits silver.

2) Lower with new springs, shocks swaybars etc.

3)Cross drilled/ Slotted rotors

4)Graphics, was thinking giant chrome SRi logo going from bottom of door diagonally upwards toward back end of rear window.. still unsure on that one...

5)Chip

6)Retrim interior in leather

Would love to turbocharge but dont know if it can be done plus probably too much $$$$$$$!

Other than that happy with what ive done so far!
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/477000-477999/477835_1_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/477000-477999/477835_7_full.jpg

M40COO
11th February 2004, 08:23 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith_forrest/Car%20pics/AE2.JPG

After peoples comments he is going to make the gaps around the ring smaller, this was his first attempt on a MK4.

Splitting the lights is relatiely easy, you need to pop it in the oven for a while so the seal softens, then just prise it apart gently.

Anonymous
11th February 2004, 08:34 PM
Awesome, Angel Eyes!

More details please mate!

M40COO
11th February 2004, 08:36 PM
Nice Dazza,

I would'nt do the graphic on the side though.

Way OTT :)

M40COO
11th February 2004, 08:40 PM
Link to the Angel Eyes info Clickety click (http://www.m1gst.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11499)

As long as you have the confidence, this should be a very easy mod.
I can't wait to have a go.

Anonymous
11th February 2004, 09:08 PM
Question 1: With putting the headlights into the oven, what temp do i put them in for, how long, and do i leave the oven open?

Question 2: Putting them back together. How? and with what.

I want to get this look:

Smoked lights (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458061533&category=23 009#ebayphotohosting)

__Smudge__
12th February 2004, 06:34 AM
Vauxhall Vectra SRi V6,

Standard spec is 168 BHP with 169 lb.ft of torque. I have fitted a Powerflow midsection stainless exhaust,Pipercross replacement panel filter (after performing air box/pipe mod and adding another induction pipe), and a 4.0bar fuel pressure regulator. I have also replaced break discs with Brembo items and Ferrodo pads. So far it has cost me £610 and gained a healthy grunt :D

Last rolling road result was 196.6 BHP with 186.9 lb.ft of torque.

ultim8DTM5
12th February 2004, 01:50 PM
Hmm I've done these with E36 BMWs but wouldn't have the balls to do it to my own car, especially without a kit

DrDevil
12th February 2004, 07:08 PM
My Project:

Now:
Opel badges - front and rear
Opelaus sticker

Later:
new filter
larger exhaust
possible '04 front (maybe SRi)

Turblue
12th February 2004, 08:15 PM
1: Shift light
2: 80mm HKS boost gauge
3: Exhaust (since insurance, GMH and missus is happy)

Turblue
21st February 2004, 02:01 PM
All current Projects are done ..!!!

Now to get back to the boring suburban existence....

Ho hum.....

mr_astra_retired
21st February 2004, 06:43 PM
My next step is to get the car lowered and de-restrict the airbox , getting the windows tinted in 2 weeks and just ordered an OPC cam cover and irmscher chrome heater rings as well.

ultim8DTM5
21st February 2004, 07:27 PM
Ebay is your friend :wink:

mr_astra_retired
21st February 2004, 09:12 PM
Ebay is your friend :wink:

yes we have a great relationship :lol:

sxi_girlie
22nd February 2004, 01:48 AM
well at the minute ive got a full Reiger kit to go onto my car! a set of M3 mirrors and 18" Dare V2 alloys but i dont have the money to get the kit painted! lol cause im heading to Oz and i think ill need about £4000 sterling to finance it