PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Cruze Test Mule

MatsHolden
23rd November 2010, 11:34 PM
I spotted this the other day in Mt. Martha/Mornington. Could be a number of things... a facelifted Cruze with the 1.4L turbo, the EV Cruze or the HSV Cruze in early testing or something else. Was interesting anyway.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/13112010543copy.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/13112010544copy.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/13112010545copy.jpg

guy 27
23rd November 2010, 11:47 PM
maybe its someone embarrassed about driving a cruze :lol:

good shots dude. sent them in to any other sites/publications?

metry
23rd November 2010, 11:49 PM
hahaha i was thinking the exact same thing.

ps nice skills with the fototaking and driving in the wet

MatsHolden
23rd November 2010, 11:49 PM

good shots dude. sent them in to any other sites/publications?

lol or that. Jokes aside I wouldn't be too embarrassed driving around in a Cruze, they're a nice bit of kit, just need some better powerplants. Emailed them to Paul Gover and he said he'll see what he can do, whatever that means. lol

MatsHolden
23rd November 2010, 11:51 PM
hahaha i was thinking the exact same thing.

ps nice skills with the fototaking and driving in the wet

lol yeah was a bit of an effort. I was going to try to get some more but I was starting to feel like a stalker.

ROCCO
23rd November 2010, 11:59 PM
Stalking or not it's for the greater good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wraith
24th November 2010, 12:16 PM
So what are the obvious differences there ?? or is this actually a test mule ??

Looks like a private owner with an imported Deawoo variant of the Cruze, fitted a car bra and covered the badges from likely embarassment :lol:

MatsHolden
24th November 2010, 12:32 PM
So what are the obvious differences there ?? or is this actually a test mule ??

Looks like a private owner with an imported Deawoo variant of the Cruze, fitted a car bra and covered the badges from likely embarassment :lol:

Obvious differences are whatever was covered by that car bra and by the tape on the rear badges and what was under the bonnet. As to what exactly those differences are, guess away.

metry
24th November 2010, 01:29 PM
theyre probably dragging more attention to themselves by covering up the badging and the hubcaps that way. most people (well infact almost everyone who saw it) would of thought it was a normal cruize

MatsHolden
24th November 2010, 01:41 PM
theyre probably dragging more attention to themselves by covering up the badging and the hubcaps that way. most people (well infact almost everyone who saw it) would of thought it was a normal cruize

True, although if someone did have a keen eye and noticed a 'Turbo' badge or whatever it may be then we'd know what it was. Whereas by covering them up, it got my attention and we know it was something different, but as to what we can only guess. Should just take the badges off! I spose black tape is quicker. lol

ChrisMaz
24th November 2010, 01:47 PM
Larger front air damn for an inter cooler perhaps? Good work Matt!

Wraith
24th November 2010, 10:15 PM
Obvious differences are whatever was covered by that car bra and by the tape on the rear badges and what was under the bonnet. As to what exactly those differences are, guess away.

Well since to me it still don't look no different, even under a front end car bra (surely typical camo would've worked better) I'd take a guess that it's a locally produced example from the GMH Adelaide plant and may be wearing different variant badging ??

I think this because it coincides timing wise with what I was told by a GMH rep over 12 months ago (and as is known by others here and from article print) regarding the Cruze switching over to local production rather than being imported from Korea...

MatsHolden
25th November 2010, 04:36 PM
Oh and the other thing I forgot to mention it had twin exhausts.

Milesy
25th November 2010, 06:07 PM
Yes this is one of the many local cruze test vehicles we have running around. The differences are subtle but are an improvement over the Korean import. I've driven a few examples and the new powertrains are a decent step up and should address some of the early criticism. Local sales are scheduled to begin late in Q1 2011 I believe.

MatsHolden
25th November 2010, 08:05 PM
1.4l turbo i spose will be taking over the 1.8 with the aussie built sedan and hatch?

Milesy
25th November 2010, 09:44 PM
No not replacing just another option

MatsHolden
26th November 2010, 07:37 PM
No not replacing just another option

Interesting, thought they would've got rid of the 1.8 since it's so underpowered.

Red AH SRI T
26th November 2010, 08:08 PM
Interesting, thought they would've got rid of the 1.8 since it's so underpowered.

They will probably do what they have done in the US. 1.8 as the entry level engine with the 1.4T as the up spec

www.themotorreport.com.au have spy pics of the Cruze hatch

Milesy
26th November 2010, 08:43 PM
Bingo!

MatsHolden
26th November 2010, 09:49 PM
They will probably do what they have done in the US. 1.8 as the entry level engine with the 1.4T as the up spec

Ahh didn't realise they offered the 1.8 over there.

Wraith
29th November 2010, 11:47 AM
1.4l turbo i spose will be taking over the 1.8 with the aussie built sedan and hatch?

Bingo!

Now that's more like it...

Sounds like a nice powerplant option over the current NA 1.8 and probably/hopefully just as economical as the TD but with better performance...

Any idea of the price ?? if it's around the same as the TD that would work, any higher than the TD variant will surely kill its sales prospects...

rjastra
29th November 2010, 02:15 PM
I have heard that the 1.4 turbo will be the only petrol engine for Australia. The similarities in power outputs to the 1.8L makes that easy to understand.

PrincessPeachey
29th November 2010, 06:54 PM
my ex was driving around holdens at elizabeth (he's a courier) and they were out driving a cruze hatchback in camo gear. said it was really interesting looking.. unfortunately couldnt get any pics.

Milesy
29th November 2010, 07:07 PM
I have heard that the 1.4 turbo will be the only petrol engine for Australia. The similarities in power outputs to the 1.8L makes that easy to understand.

Trust me if that is what you have heard your source is misguided. The base price leader will still be the 1.8 Family 1 engine with the option of the new 1.4T.

cdxi
5th December 2010, 06:41 PM
drive.com.au has a pic of a black Cruze mule and an article suggesting there will be a total of four engines - the cuurent 1.8 petrol, the 2.0 diesel and a 1.6 turbo petrol in addition to the forthcoming 1.4 turbo petrol.

The 1.6 is likely to go into a sporty Cruze. Cruze SRi maybe???

Wraith
8th December 2010, 12:03 PM

Surely the 1.4T would have much better power and loads more torque than the 1.8 N/A ??

It would also make its torque lower down in the rev range and hold it over a much broader rpm band than an N/A engine, so it would make for a much better drive...

It does make sense though that the 1.8 N/A could be dropped if there's 2 other new forced inducted engine options, the 1.4T could quite possibly match the consumption of the 1.8 N/A making it redundant...

MatsHolden
8th December 2010, 01:56 PM
Surely the 1.4T would have much better power and loads more torque than the 1.8 N/A ??

It would also make its torque lower down in the rev range and hold it over a much broader rpm band than an N/A engine, so it would make for a much better drive...

It does make sense though that the 1.8 N/A could be dropped if there's 2 other new forced inducted engine options, the 1.4T could quite possibly match the consumption of the 1.8 N/A making it redundant...

The 1.4L Turbo puts out 103kw and 200nm. So 1kw less than the 1.8L N/A and slightly more torque. It's not meant to be a performance engine, but a more efficient and refined engine.

Milesy
8th December 2010, 03:49 PM

You've overlooked one very important aspect...cost! Yes the spec sheet looks similar, but the new 1.4T cost more than the old 1.8 family 1 unit that has been around for ever. Therefore expect to see the 1.8 remain as the price leader of the locally built range.

Wraith
13th December 2010, 04:52 PM
The 1.4L Turbo puts out 103kw and 200nm. So 1kw less than the 1.8L N/A and slightly more torque. It's not meant to be a performance engine, but a more efficient and refined engine.

Power and torque 'end' numbers don't tell the full story when it comes to performance comparisons of N/A engines vs forced inducted engines...the 1.4T may have slightly more torque, but it'll produce that torque much earlier and sustain it over a broader rpm spread compared with N/A, so it'll definitely outperform the same car with a similar power N/A engine.

You've overlooked one very important aspect...cost! Yes the spec sheet looks similar, but the new 1.4T cost more than the old 1.8 family 1 unit that has been around for ever. Therefore expect to see the 1.8 remain as the price leader of the locally built range.

Considering the new 1.4T will be more powerful (torque wise) have better performance and consume less fuel than the 1.8N/A in the same car, why would they retain this engine, or why would anyone want to buy the 1.8N/A variant ?? unless of course as you say cost, but then there would have to be a big difference in price point which would make a new variant of the Cruze with this 1.4T hard to sell...

Anyway the 1.4T engine update is now confirmed for the Cruze http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/small-passenger/holden/cruze/holden-cruze-to-spawn-a-hot-hatch-22887

MatsHolden
13th December 2010, 05:47 PM
Power and torque 'end' numbers don't tell the full story when it comes to performance comparisons of N/A engines vs forced inducted engines...the 1.4T may have slightly more torque, but it'll produce that torque much earlier and sustain it over a broader rpm spread compared with N/A, so it'll definitely outperform the same car with a similar power N/A engine.

Of course it will but it definately won't be a performance engine, just a nice engine which the Cruze should have standard.

xplosv57
13th December 2010, 05:58 PM
saw a black Cruze test car today on Beach Rd, again had the front covered as well as all the badges....

also saw a film crew doing an ad for the Captiva on St Kilda beach, would have been a great location if they had something nicer like an SS or a HSV!!