PDA

View Full Version : Smashed Window

UNEEQ
18th November 2010, 09:37 AM
So, last night I was in Parent/Teacher interviews for 1 hour at the most...

Come back to the car and the passenger window is smashed and a few things gone from the car (Personal stuff, all the accessories are there still). Was around Cannington and late night shopping for telethon and leading up to Christmas is on now, so I'm guessing some local wanting a quick grab for booze.

Insurance organised perspex last night since the windows are not in stock. Gotta get the real one put in today.

Screwdriver damave to the door panel surround and a couple of huge big gouges on the paint. Talking to insurance about that and personal items today.

btm
18th November 2010, 09:40 AM
fark thats annoying! sorry to hear

sooty
18th November 2010, 09:47 AM
Really sorry to hear that, Todd! So infuriating, and yet there's nothing you can do to stop it. Hope insurance sorts it all out soon.

Just make sure depending on personal things that were taken that you watch all your identity stuff like bank accounts. Never know what these guys are up to!

delemonte
18th November 2010, 10:25 AM
Grrrr... Sorry to hear about that. :( I hope it all gets sorted out

guy 27
18th November 2010, 10:28 AM
not cool.

hazrd
18th November 2010, 11:43 AM
bah
fkn frustrates me when i hear things like this... just makes u want to buy a midget with a shotgun and have him sitting in the back seat of the car 24/7

really hope insurance sorts u out mate

gmonkey
18th November 2010, 11:47 AM
Get Perspex windows all round :p less weight and smash proof ahah

Unlucky to hear mate. Sounds like usual cannington but..

UNEEQ
18th November 2010, 12:55 PM
Genuine glass is Ex-Melbourne, so looks like Monday before I have new glass in the car. I could get aftermarket today, but everything on my car is genuine, so I plan on keeping it that way. More damage found now that it's light to the door card where the glass has had some lunch on the way down, and on the passenger seat.

Nothing with current identity in my Partner's handbag. Cancelled the CC, but still probably enough for identity theft (ie old addresses, maybe an old payslip or two)...

Gotta find out what sort of tint was on the car too, coz I'll be damned if they are going to do a "best match" on it.

EDIT: Tint is exclusive to John Hughes as they import it from the US. $65 for the one window, so I don't see RAC having an issue authorizing that.

UNEEQ
18th November 2010, 01:17 PM
Just got another call... Glass will be express shipped, so should have it in tomorrow.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. at least it's only an inconvenience.

JohnBu
18th November 2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear... was the handbag in view or left under a coat or similar?

UNEEQ
18th November 2010, 10:37 PM
Handbag was in plain view (through darkest legal tint in a dark carpark because the flood lights have been blown for the last 1 1/2 years - complained about that a few times over that period and now something is finally being done about it).

Spoke with insurance today, everything except the bag and purse itself should be covered. So all the contents will be fine, but they are being claimed on out Contents/Unspecified Valuables cover, not on the car, so my excess is $350 for the car and $100 for the valuables.

Waiting on confirmation of the window tomorrow, with the view to install in the afternoon and then book in for re-tint on Monday at Hughesys

Edit: Seems like they're going to help out with the excess, which is a nice gesture :)

JohnBu
19th November 2010, 11:02 AM
Handbag was in plain view (through darkest legal tint in a dark carpark because the flood lights have been blown for the last 1 1/2 years - complained about that a few times over that period and now something is finally being done about it).

tinted windows, dark carpark or not, I suppose there is a lesson for everyone- don't leave valuables in view.

You can see inside a tinted car fairly easily via the windscreen.

kabel
19th November 2010, 11:13 AM
Agreed.
I fell victim to that a few years back.
Was out of the car for five minutes,smash and grab at Kings Park courtesay of our some low life "smack-addicts".

Gkad to here it is getting resolved quickly though Todd.

UNEEQ
21st November 2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys,

Looks like Window will be in tomorrow now (hasn't arrived yet), so I'll get them to install it in my work carpark. Then book in for the tint to go on Tuesday. GOing through my mountains of reciepts for the lost items now to send copies into insurance. Gotta arrange a time to take the car to the panel shop for minor cosmetic repairs, should only take 2 days at most in the shop. Other than that, yeah hopefully it'll all be sorted in around 2 weeks at the most.

Gonna get the tailgate cut and polished while it's in there too...