PDA

View Full Version : Advice RE: Mods to Astra TS/G

stbishop
10th November 2010, 01:07 AM
I currently have an '03 TS Astra CD Sedan which needs work in regards to panels being replaced etc and my disposable income is limited so any modifications that require much of an investment are some distance in the future.

However before I start making plans I'd like some advice.

I'd quite like to have a tubro charged car, they just feel a little more fun to drive and I like the sound of the spool and BOV (Yeah, so they're silly reasons, sue me :) ).

I'm wondering if it'd be worth turbocharging the 1.8L engine I've got now, or if I'd be better off buying a SRi Turbo front cut, I'm a little attached to having rear doors so simply replacing the car is something I'm not really looking to do unless any conversions are going to be rediculously expensive.

I'm aware that one does not simply place a turbo in a car, there's obviously some majour work that'd need to be done to my current engine before turbo charging it would be viable, some of which are pretty desireable anyway (Extractors, better induction system like a pod filter or cool box, stronger components).

So basically is it realistic to turbocharge the engine I have?
Is it realistic to do a conversion to a different engine?
Am I better off looking for a different model if I want a 4 door car that isn't N/A?
Am I likely to get similar gains doing other mods?

Also, anyone in Perth have ECU remapping Facilities?
Everyone I see on here doing it is over east.

If there's information missing that I need to add, or anything I'm horrifically wrong about, please let me know.
I'm incredibly new to all this, I've only just started learning basic maintenance and am keen to learn much, much more. So any and all criticism or information is welcome.

Regards,
Jonathon.

guy 27
10th November 2010, 07:50 AM
So basically is it realistic to turbocharge the engine I have? Nope, will end up being cheaper to buy an Sri-T.
Is it realistic to do a conversion to a different engine? Only if money is not a major issue. Doubtful you would be able to put in a bigger engine for much under 10k
Am I better off looking for a different model if I want a 4 door car that isn't N/A? Yep
Am I likely to get similar gains doing other mods? Don't expect major gains

Sorry if it sounds a little rough but as you have said you income is a bit limited I would stay away from doing heavy modifications like you want.
You can pick up Sri-t's for around 10-12k these days which will give you a better modifying platform and a better car to start off with.

auzvectra
10th November 2010, 08:59 AM
well guy pretty much said it all :). i'm normally all for the custom turbo's but it does cost a lot!

the 1.8L can go alright with a few lil mods, if u can live without the turbo sound.

stbishop
10th November 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys.

It's likely that by the time I've got cash to affrord those sorts of mods, I'll be looking at starting a family anyway so we'd probably be looking at either adding a family car to the garage. It'd be easier to use the Astra as a family car and getting me an SRi-T.

Out of interest, it's worth tuning the ECU regardless due to improved economy right?

droodles
10th November 2010, 04:28 PM
Don't think you would see anything awesome in tuning an ECU for a 1.8L engine. Although 'auzvectra' might say otherwise.

bender
10th November 2010, 05:00 PM
u can do all the na mods and if u still miss the turbo sound u always have the option to get one of these

http://www.turbowhistler.net/

auzvectra
10th November 2010, 05:00 PM
Don't think you would see anything awesome in tuning an ECU for a 1.8L engine. Although 'auzvectra' might say otherwise.

i do, and have, and they have agree'd. 1 person saw a reasonable increase in power aswell as a ~30% increase in economy.

droodles
10th November 2010, 06:09 PM
i do, and have, and they have agree'd. 1 person saw a reasonable increase in power aswell as a ~30% increase in economy.

Hmm..interesting. When you're tuning the ECU what things do you look at? Fuel map? Ignition timing?

auzvectra
10th November 2010, 11:03 PM
Hmm..interesting. When you're tuning the ECU what things do you look at? Fuel map? Ignition timing?

they are only a generic map, so there isnt any looking into the file other then finding the version. but depending on the car, there's fueling, ign advance, rev limit, throttle control, ect... and some auto's get a trick up in sport mode ;).