PDA

View Full Version : New motor!

brc
9th November 2010, 11:10 AM
Hi guys, as per recent thread my engine blew up due to timing belt slipping. I have now purchased a second hand motor that supposedly has done 86000km, how can I know this is genuine, or at least close? Cost me $770.00 (X18XE).

Thanks guys!

Bryce

Wraith
9th November 2010, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, as per recent thread my engine blew up due to timing belt slipping. I have now purchased a second hand motor that supposedly has done 86000km, how can I know this is genuine, or at least close? Cost me $770.00 (X18XE).

Thanks guys!

Bryce

You've got no chance of knowing what the km count was unless you get a hold of specific information of the car it came from !

The only way is to have seen the car the car the engine came from to check the odometer, or service book records...or if you personally knew someone with the car before...

If it was from a wreckers, I would never trust what they say in this regard !

You could always check with the RTA to find out what you can with the engine type and numbers and vehicle it came from - not sure if it'll reveal much info that way though...

Otherwise just get a good grease monkey to check it out for you and give it a compression test at least, if it's still in the car ?? you can get it pretty well looked at to diagnose its current condition regardless of travelled km's, but if it's already out of the car it's pretty much a case of owners onus...

brc
9th November 2010, 11:43 AM
Wraith,

Your response is highly appreciated. I thought this would be the case and I realise the risk I am taking.

The engine comes with 3 month warranty and the wrecker is telling me I have a 3 week labour warranty so at the moment I am happy with the stance I am in. I will get the engine fitted and tested before use but I think it should be okay.

What would you pay to fit an engine? (Labour only)

Wraith
9th November 2010, 05:32 PM
Wraith,

Your response is highly appreciated. I thought this would be the case and I realise the risk I am taking.

The engine comes with 3 month warranty and the wrecker is telling me I have a 3 week labour warranty so at the moment I am happy with the stance I am in. I will get the engine fitted and tested before use but I think it should be okay.

What would you pay to fit an engine? (Labour only)

So it's from a wreckers which means what you've stated above regarding warranty periods sounds about right when buying parts from them...

Definitely get it installed ASAP before that period expires !

As for labour costs, you got to ring around/enquire as they'll vary considerably depending on if any of the mechanics in question have fitted that type of engine to that type of car...if so it'll be cheaper, if it's a 1st they'll most probably charge more...

Try a search in your local area 1st (yellow pages) and go from there, hopefully you'll come up with a good operator and a fair price...

Otherwise you could do a quick enquiry/search here on the forum to see if any members have contacts or can do the job for you ?? and if their located where you are ??

brc
11th November 2010, 08:51 PM
I have gone with a quote of 750, this sounds reasonable. :) what do you think?