PDA

View Full Version : Timing

milestones54
5th November 2010, 10:12 AM
Ok hopefully someone can give me a quick answer
When lining up the timing in my corsa (could be the same for other models)
I have a timing mark on the top of the cam cover, a notch on the cam gear and a block of no teeth on the crank, is this all right?
Thanks

auzvectra
5th November 2010, 10:38 AM
if u mean what i think u mean on the crank, it's not right. the timing mark is on the timing pulley, i dont think there is 1 of the balancer, but that flattened bit should be directly up from memory, the timing pulley should have a mark that meets at the bottom to a mark on the oil pump where it meets the sump.

milestones54
5th November 2010, 10:43 AM
Ok so i cant see marks on either atm
Maybe a stupid question but i hear the 8v have low enough compression that they wont damage if theyre started with timing off. With the marks in the position they are now is it safe to give it a try?

milestones54
5th November 2010, 11:25 AM
Anyone?

auzvectra
5th November 2010, 11:54 AM
no the sohc are still an interfereance engine!!!

take plugs out, turn over by hand (rathchet ect...) but DO NOT force it if it gets tight.

auzvectra
5th November 2010, 11:54 AM
i'll check out the sohc we have at the factory n get back to u within the hr ;). (as long as i dont forget, hahaha)

milestones54
5th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks heaps for that mate, really just wanted to get it on the road today. What am i looking for when i turn it over manually?

Wraith
5th November 2010, 12:40 PM
Hmmm, interesting...on most of these engines timing alignment marks are on the belt and cam sprocket gears...

Whatever you do, make sure it's right or you'll destroy the engine !

auzvectra
5th November 2010, 01:06 PM
Ok there is a timing mark on the top right of the balancer (crank pulley) and a notch on the pulley to match it too. If in doubt, pull the sparkie out of cyl 1 and use a screwdriver to feel when it's at the top, this will give u a very close place to look for the marks lineing up. If at that stage the top doesn't line up, turn it a full 360deg to line it up IF u still have the original belt on, if uve taken it off. Pull the pistons down half way, line the top then the bottom. If at ne stage it's tight don't force it, as it could b a valve hitting a piston. Best to find some1 close by that knows but, it is easy to bend a valve.

milestones54
5th November 2010, 01:11 PM
Doesnt the balancer spin? How can there be a top right? and which other pulley?
Sorry im so eager to get it on the road, its just been a b*tch

Wraith
5th November 2010, 04:39 PM
Doesnt the balancer spin? How can there be a top right? and which other pulley?
Sorry im so eager to get it on the road, its just been a b*tch

I can only advise again to get it right since it looks like it's all becoming a bit too hard...be patient or dead engine for the sake of rushing...

If you don't want to get a grease monkey involved, then try researching it over the net, you may come up with full how to's with pics and that would be a significant help if you persist with DIY...

auzvectra
5th November 2010, 07:21 PM
ok, was on the iphone, so hard to be specific ;).

on the lower "crank" pulley, on the plastic timing cover to the top right of the crank pulley looking from the drivers wheel side. about 45deg (say north-east if up was north) there is a small raised mark, this matches a notch out of the lip of the crank (behind where the belt runs "rear most side, closest to the engine")

the top "cam" pulley i havent checked, but should have a mark at the top of the plastic cover and a notch out of the cam pulley to match it to. i do have a haynes around somewhere for the barina :s.

milestones54
5th November 2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks heaps for that mate, thats discriptive enough for me to be confident in starting it after iv checked that. Will get on it tomorrow

milestones54
6th November 2010, 12:41 PM
Ok so got the car started, no big explosions.
Problems now are that there is a large ticking (which im assuming is a bent valve after all) and the fact that the entire car shakes as the car idles. Im not sure if the problems are linked.
So...whats next?

auzvectra
7th November 2010, 10:27 AM
what was the original problem?

timing belt snapped???

best way is compression test, also u can pull n replace 1 lead at a time and listen to the engine if it gets wors or the same (be prepared to cap a zap if ur not carefull ;). this will tell u if it's 1 cyl or all thats causeing it.

also recheck the timing is lined up corectly. 1 tooth out could do this too. but notso the knock.

Wraith
9th November 2010, 11:57 AM
Ok so got the car started, no big explosions.
Problems now are that there is a large ticking (which im assuming is a bent valve after all) and the fact that the entire car shakes as the car idles. Im not sure if the problems are linked.
So...whats next?

Not sure what the ticking problem is ?? as per auzvectras question what was the state of the engine before you started all this ??

Engine shaking badly at idle can be one sure sign of the timing being way out ! although there are other causes for that as well, but since it's the timing belt you've done I'd go back and double check the timing is correct...

If you do have a bent valve or more than one damaged, you need to seriously get this thing looked at and fixed properly...

milestones54
3rd December 2010, 03:10 PM
The ticking was just a noisy lifter.
But as diagnosed by a third mechanic, the head gasket is gone, simple diagnosis i couldnt get from two mechanics that wouldnt bother with it. Thanks guys.
Anyway in the process of replacing gasket, spark plugs and both belts
With new tyres to stop scrubbing (195/50) the car handled like a go cart for the 2 days i had it...