PDA

View Full Version : Convertible's replacement

imay
4th November 2010, 08:23 AM
Her it is guys - the convertible's replacement. Took it for it's first outing yesterday to a little spot I know overlooking the Barossa Valley. Did everything I wanted it to do with ease. A great drive!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm268/imxgu/DSCF0215.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm268/imxgu/DSCF0223.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm268/imxgu/DSCF0217.jpg

guy 27
4th November 2010, 08:47 AM
Congratulations Ian, good to see its going offroad as well. :)

btm
4th November 2010, 08:51 AM
pics blocked at work... what is it?

Wraith
4th November 2010, 09:13 AM
As discussed earlier Ian, sorry to see the TS vert go after sooooooo long, but these are actually a very good vehicle !!!

Congrats and hope it gives you many years of motoring joy :)

sooty
4th November 2010, 09:25 AM
love the rear view cameras in these in the mirror, it's such a clear picture too! my aunty uncle bought one in white about 4 weeks ago.

imay
4th November 2010, 09:28 AM
pics blocked at work... what is it?

New Kia Sportage Platinum in white. 2.0R turbo diesel, 6 speed auto, panorama sunroof (of course! Couldn't dismiss the "convertible" feel totally), leather, 18" alloys, all-wheel drive on request + lock-on 4 wheel drive, down hill assist, etc., etc., etc. Goes like hell, easy on the juice (already averaging 8.0/100km) and quiet at highway speeds.

Very impressed.

Wraith
4th November 2010, 11:33 AM
New Kia Sportage Platinum in white. 2.0R turbo diesel, 6 speed auto, panorama sunroof (of course! Couldn't dismiss the "convertible" feel totally), leather, 18" alloys, all-wheel drive on request + lock-on 4 wheel drive, down hill assist, etc., etc., etc. Goes like hell, easy on the juice (already averaging 8.0/100km) and quite at highway speeds.

Very impressed.

All that and don't forget to add IMHO they actually look great too !!!

No surprises as they (KIA) are designed by the same person who designed most of the recent Audi range...

Also according to some reviews I've read (and I concur having driven some of them myself) alot of this current KIA range drive better than their Hyundai related vehicles ;)

willhouse
4th November 2010, 11:38 AM
Thats a nice looking wagon you have! Im jealous!

btm
4th November 2010, 11:56 AM
sounds the goods!

imay
4th November 2010, 12:06 PM
That's right Ange, design team is led by Peter Schreyer(?) who was the main pen behind many of the current Audis. You can see the similarities of the Sportage with the Audi Q5 and Q7 in so many areas - at considerably less $$$.
I quite like that the shape of the front and rear windows is carried over in so many other aspects of the design. Something a bit different.

Another nice touch: Heated front seats (a nice carry over from the convertible) with the driver's seat also cooled! A point my wife feels quite cheated with, and full electric adjustment on the driver's seat (bit of a gimmick that I feel doesn't necessarily give the same ease of positioning). No memory setting, unfortunately. Back seats (I have been told - I don't plan on spending much time there!) are very comfortable too, which is a nice touch.
Storage nooks in the interior are a bit scant compared with other makes in this market, but that will just encourage me to keep it neat and tidy.
Smart key with push button start, I initially thought was a bit gimmicky too, but have quickly adjusted to it and like the feature - except when I keep grabbing for a key that isn't in the ignition barrel!
Negatives: Huge A pillars, but I am used to the impairment of around-corner-vision after the vert. Small back window also falls into this category.
Rear view camera image appears in the rear view mirror on Reverse + reversing sensors to help out too.
Still playing with it, so I'm sure there are other nice bits and pieces that I will find along the way.

The Sorento was also looked at but decided against it as it was just too big for what we wanted, and we don't need the "full" 4WD ability. While picking it up I was also checking out the new Cerato hatchback. For $26k (up-spec model) drive away it's a great car too.

Did all the comparisons in this model range prior to deciding. The good raps it received at the Sydney Motor Show by other makes' representatives also was a plus. The Hyundai ix35 was our next in line choice, but the styling, while different, to me is a bit dated. The ride and handling (although improved I believe with the MY11 model) is still nowhere near the Kia. Value and features for $ makes it a very worthwhile look for anyone in this market. A few months ago I wouldn't have given Kia the time of day. But a friend of mine bought the older run-out model and I was suitably impressed even with that.