PDA

View Full Version : Track day preparations?

J
2nd November 2010, 10:13 PM
Good evening everyone.

Just bought myself a day at Wakefield for $69. Not sure if it's a good deal, but for anyone interested, the deal ends in less than an hour:
http://spreets.com.au/deal/Sydney/recreation/768/69-deal-for-180-value-street-racing-just-got-legal-at-wakefield-park-raceway-drive-like-you-mean-it-and-learn-how-to-really-handle-your-machine-for-just-69-unlimited-vouchers/?utm_source=spreets&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=spreets_newsletter_Sydney

Anyway, I thought I'd post this up for the benefit of other track day noobs like me! So, over to the track day pros: besides making sure my car is well serviced and tuned, and armed with a full (?) tank of fuel, are there any other things I need to know, or preps I should do? Will my normal brake pads and clutch and tyres hold up to the punishment, or should I look into replacing them or swapping them for dedicated stuff, before the day?

Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks!

bornwild
2nd November 2010, 10:35 PM
If you're looking for a bit of fun and learning then your standard car will be fine. If you're looking to break records....new tyres, clutch, brakes & pads, fuel, oil...roll-cage(!).

But yeah...make sure you use the premium fuel stuff.

ChrisMaz
2nd November 2010, 10:44 PM
Can't believe you Easterners can hit a PROPER track for so cheap :(

As above. If its your first time just make sure its tuned, spark plugs changed, coolent topped up, oil etc. And tyres pumped up as well. Normal brakes will be fine but you may find them fading as you go along. Would be better off in the long run going for some pro-street / semi track pads and rotors.

Wouldn't really bother going for dedicated track items until you've been once, and see how you go. But I guarantee you'll get the bug and want to go again :D

sooty
3rd November 2010, 12:01 AM
Just as a random aside for when you're actually there, after you come off the track, try not to use you handbrake, either park on a flat surface or chock the wheel. This stops the very unlikely albeit possible occurence of your brake pads fusing to the disc :)

gman
3rd November 2010, 07:07 AM
Pulling on the handbrake after a run can warp or crack the disc too if they are hot enough and you pull the handbrake on. Do a quick cool down drive around to keep the air moving through everything.

Check tyre pressures cold and hot to make sure your not ending with 60psi+ hot temps.

IMHO I would definitely go for new brake pads, HPX from GSLRALLYSPORT on here would be the best an cheapest option. Change out the brake fluid too. Wakefield is a tight track with some hard braking, best to make sure they work.

If you have a Gerry can for fuel (you can buy one for $30) then run about half a tank of fuel and top it up. Loose the spare tyre and jack, and take all the loose stuff (CD's, empty bottle etc) out of the car.

If you can, get yourself a decent helmet. The renters are pretty scungy!!!!

As this is your first time, best advice, take it easy, have fun and be ready to want to go again!!! :)

Worry about the more expensive stuff later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulyJ
3rd November 2010, 07:18 AM
As what Glenn said.
Once thing to remember, its a track day, not a race.
Yeah you'll push your car and have duels with some people, but remember that you have to drive your car home.
You dont want your first experience ending up on a tow truck.
Have fun, and use this as a learning experience. You'll be suprised as to how much you will learn about the car, and more importantly yourself.
Yeah you can get the car ready by making sure everything is fine, but you need to do the same for yourself.
Have a good night sleep, eat something decent in the morning and keep yourself hydrated.
You need to be alert 110% of the time. Last thing you want is your mind wandering for a split second and something happens.

Have a good time mate