PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

SIMid
1st November 2010, 05:24 PM
My previous internet was hardwired through the phone line. I've moved out of my home and will be moving around a bit till I find somewhere to settle, so whats the best plan to be on? I heard Vodafone is sh*t and Telstra is expensive. Just surfing at home and getting online with my PS3 is the go atm.

I will also need a wireless router to go with the dongle. I haven't touched on these before so hopefully U guys can give me some recommendations. Probably wanna get hooked up by the end of this week, it's killing me having no access to the net. :(

hazrd
1st November 2010, 05:52 PM
ill let pete recommend a wireless bb router ... but i can recommend dodo internet when it comes to coverage. runs on optus iirc and its been really good for me. works well in rural areas too

willhouse
1st November 2010, 07:18 PM
So you're after mobile broadband? I had Virgin for a year and a bit, was good, no drop outs, good speed, uses optus network as well, so not bad coverage. Honestly wouldn't recommend dodo though, unless you enjoy sorting out monthly billing problems with foreigners! But that's just my (ongoing) issue! Not everyone is as unlucky as me!

poita
1st November 2010, 07:32 PM
besides the big 'T' everyone else piggy backs off the Optus network, so coverage wise stick with Optus/3/Dodo in your area.

Between those 4 its much of a muchness reception wise, after sales is a big difference.

dodo from my experience are the worst to deal with by a looooooong way.

im guessing your after a plan? because constant use, big amounts of data on prepaid will cost a bucket load.

as for wireless 3g bb router, look at the netcomm series. just be careful though, as not all routers work with all 3g modems.

all the manufacturers have a compatibility list on there websites last time i checked.

any other info just ask dude :)

willhouse
1st November 2010, 07:55 PM
dodo from my experience are the worst to deal with by a loooooong way

+1

I went with telstra prepaid for my iPad, seems fairly reasonable, but data usage for me is fairly low.

hazrd
1st November 2010, 09:45 PM
:luckily ive never had to contact dodo yet.... done everything online sofar.... prepaid anyway so dont care :)

Vectracious
1st November 2010, 11:00 PM
everyone bags Telstra for being expensive - but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. I got a prepaid Telstra wireless dongle, because none of the others (and I mean NONE) had 3G coverage out in Berwick - which is hardly "the sticks" in Melbourne.

chrissn89
1st November 2010, 11:23 PM
I have dodo wireless broadband, never had an issue with them and they're cheap, I live out in the country and can't get Adsl so have to have wireless 3G. I have it connected to a NetGear MBR624GU and it works amazing a great combo. Only issue with wireless 3G broadband Might be the ping speed could be alittle slow for online gaming.

Alix
2nd November 2010, 06:58 PM
I heard Vodafone is sh*t and Telstra is expensive.(

That's pretty much dependant on where you are, and which carrier has coverage in your area. For instance, my Virgin (=Optus network) phone gets crappy signal at work, but my Vodafone wireless whatsit gives me a full 5 bars of 3G. There are three networks: Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone/3. Check their webpages to see who has coverage where you plan to be living.

For a comparo of data plans, check here (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/10/planhacker-australian-prepaid-3g-broadband-deals/) (with latest Telstra price updates here (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/10/telstra-changes-data-allowances-for-prepaid-mobile-broadband/)). Oh, and Harvey Norman has 20% off recharges (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/11/harvey-norman-has-20-off-prepaid-recharges/) for the next couple of weeks too (all networks).

ROCCO
2nd November 2010, 07:15 PM
everyone bags Telstra for being expensive - but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. I got a prepaid Telstra wireless dongle, because none of the others (and I mean NONE) had 3G coverage out in Berwick - which is hardly "the sticks" in Melbourne.

Berwick....TOORAK OF THE SOUTH EAST

Vectracious
2nd November 2010, 09:28 PM
Berwick....TOORAK OF THE SOUTH EAST

people in Berwick certainly like to think so..... :rolleyes:

and don't get me started on Harkaway!!!! :p

SIMid
5th November 2010, 04:02 PM
I ended up getting the Telstra Ultimate Wireless. So I will test it tonight. But they told me in the shop I dont need a Router, just plug it into the USB and then, plug the LAN from the PC to the PS3 ......... hope it's not a lie!!

So no more downloading :(

From +100Gig to 7Gig, should be enough for emails and COD Blackops. :)

Vectracious
5th November 2010, 06:04 PM
just plug it into the USB and then, plug the LAN from the PC to the PS3 ......... hope it's not a lie!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - not having a PS3 I can't say for sure but somehow I don't think it will work.....

chrissn89
5th November 2010, 07:14 PM
I ended up getting the Telstra Ultimate Wireless. So I will test it tonight. But they told me in the shop I dont need a Router, just plug it into the USB and then, plug the LAN from the PC to the PS3 ......... hope it's not a lie!!

So no more downloading :(

From +100Gig to 7Gig, should be enough for emails and COD Blackops. :)

Hmmm you might need a cross-over cable looks like a blue network cable but is normally red and it wired differently, I could be totally wrong tho.

hazrd
5th November 2010, 10:50 PM
normal lan cable will be fine, but u will have to enable internet sharing on the host computer ie the one that has the wireless modem plugged into it

SIMid
8th November 2010, 11:39 AM
Well, Telstra has screwed me. This wireless modem is not compatible with the new 3G Wireless Router I had bought. And there is nothing out there atm that I could use this wireless device. So they are going to swap me over to their wireless router option. I hope the speed is fast enough ............. :(

http://www.netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/28620/21_BigPond_Spec_Sheet.pdf
This is what they are going to send me to me.

Anyone interested in buying a Netgear 3g Wireless Router?? Brand new, used once! Literally..........

AfterBurner
8th November 2010, 12:24 PM
You need a special type of modem router that takes a SIM card (best way)... U can get a modem that takes the USB plugin, but that will prolly be flakey, seen em on the bay btw...

I can sort u out with the relevant modem if u PM me... All u do is stick in ur SIM & bobs...

SIMid
8th November 2010, 04:04 PM
I can sort u out with the relevant modem ...

Too late now, they are going to post this Netcomm one out for me. Let's see if this POS will work. If not, then I'll PM you for advise.

Thanks. :)

AfterBurner
8th November 2010, 04:20 PM
Did they advise the model#?

Is it actually Telstra or Bigpond, sounds like a funny question but there is a difference...

Prolly a 3G9WB or 3G21WB (If Bigpond) or 3G9WT (Telstra)...

SIMid
8th November 2010, 05:03 PM
The link I posted above is meant to be the router I am suppsoe to be getting. But the girl on the phone said that it had no Ports at the back, and the specs said it does. Typical Telstra, they have no idea of their product. :(

AfterBurner
8th November 2010, 05:05 PM
linky no worky...

poita
8th November 2010, 05:59 PM
works fine for me mate, its a 3G21WB

AfterBurner
8th November 2010, 06:11 PM
works fine for me mate, its a 3G21WB

Weird, i tried again & nogo... using FF 3.6.12

maybe my acrobat plugin no worky with FF update...

Worked when D/L'd, all good...

poita
8th November 2010, 06:14 PM
im using same version

must be the awesomeness of ubuntu that allows me to see it /sarcasm

Vectracious
8th November 2010, 10:03 PM
I've got a Billion ADSL modem/router at work with a USB slot for a 3G modem - plugged in my Telstra dongle and mucked around with a couple of settings and worked no problem..... :?:

J
30th November 2010, 10:08 AM
Good day everyone!

Sorry to jump into the thread like this, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new thread about the same thing...

My girlfriend is moving to a new apartment with no ADSL, so she will have to get mobile broadband. Now I am a tech noob, so I am guessing she will need to purchase a USB stick-like modem to get the internet?

In terms of the details: she is using a Mac laptop running Snow Leopard, so hopefully no hardware compatibility issues! She already has a mobile phone plan with 3 (with her iPhone 3), so perhaps she can get better bundled deals if she gets the mobile BB through them as well? She doesn't use that much each month: emails, web surfing, Youtube videos...

So, over to the experts: what are the best and hassle-free deals out there for my girlfriend? Thank you very kindly in advance!

Ice
30th November 2010, 10:20 AM
I've got a Billion ADSL modem/router at work with a USB slot for a 3G modem - plugged in my Telstra dongle and mucked around with a couple of settings and worked no problem..... :?:

Pete, he said he was a Tech Noob, haha

I do like that they have that feature now, it was a long time coming. I used to do it through my laptop and f**k was it complicated.

Ice
30th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Oh Yes, sorry where was I !

J that should be fine, I think most dongles are compatible with MAC. So see what you can get with 3. ide get a prepaid first as they are somethign like $50 and see if your happy with the signal. You tried Dodo ? they seem to cover alot of areas other dont and their packages are pretty good.

AfterBurner
30th November 2010, 10:29 AM
Good day everyone!

Sorry to jump into the thread like this, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new thread about the same thing...

My girlfriend is moving to a new apartment with no ADSL, so she will have to get mobile broadband. Now I am a tech noob, so I am guessing she will need to purchase a USB stick-like modem to get the internet?

In terms of the details: she is using a Mac laptop running Snow Leopard, so hopefully no hardware compatibility issues! She already has a mobile phone plan with 3 (with her iPhone 3), so perhaps she can get better bundled deals if she gets the mobile BB through them as well? She doesn't use that much each month: emails, web surfing, Youtube videos...

So, over to the experts: what are the best and hassle-free deals out there for my girlfriend? Thank you very kindly in advance!
Y not use the iphone tethering???

Ice
30th November 2010, 10:47 AM
Y not use the iphone tethering???

does it have it for the iPhone 3 ? and its unlikely it would have a big data plan as only recently have they come in with larger capacities to actually make it worth while.

AfterBurner
30th November 2010, 10:52 AM
Tethering available on all networks AFAIK..

Most mobs now supply 1GB, is that sufficient??

hazrd
30th November 2010, 11:16 AM
Only 3GS has tethering afaik

And some networks charge for it. I looked into it for mine and Optus want to charge $9.90 a month for it lol

AfterBurner
30th November 2010, 11:35 AM
Jailbreak FTW!!!

chrissn89
30th November 2010, 04:52 PM
Quick question for you guys, seriously considering The Bigpond Liberty 7Gb with a Bigpond Elite Network Gateway. Now ive read a few articals saying that these routers over heat.... does anyone know if thats the real case? Also with Bigpond if new data plans come out like for example 12gb for $39.95/mnth are you able to switch to them or are you stuck with the current ones for the 24months?

AfterBurner
30th November 2010, 05:08 PM
Quick question for you guys, seriously considering The Bigpond Liberty 7Gb with a Bigpond Elite Network Gateway. Now ive read a few articals saying that these routers over heat.... does anyone know if thats the real case? Also with Bigpond if new data plans come out like for example 12gb for $39.95/mnth are you able to switch to them or are you stuck with the current ones for the 24months?
Checkout whirlpool forums Chris, wealth of knowledge there re. broadband/plans etc...

Alternately, ring 'em up, u can generally Upgrade plans but not Downgrade, then again, Telstra are generally not very forthcoming when it comes to helping out a customer, once they have ur business, that's it as far as their concerned...

If u switch to a more expensive plan that may work, but defo can't go cheaper, even if it offers more bandwidth/cap etc...

AFAIK Telstra has the fastest infrastructure atm, although Optus & 3/Voda are also in the midst of upgrading their equipment too...

metry
30th November 2010, 05:20 PM

im with telstra and they let you change your plan at anytime aslong as it is with them. for us we were paing 59 for 12gb a month. once they released the new plans i just went on upgraded to 50gb a month for the same price. im still in my contract but you can only change once each month

chrissn89
30th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Okay thank you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrissn89
30th November 2010, 09:08 PM
Anyone know when Bigpond will update the 3G21WB router?

Vectracious
30th November 2010, 11:39 PM
Quick question for you guys, seriously considering The Bigpond Liberty 7Gb with a Bigpond Elite Network Gateway.

I've had my Thomson TG782T which is what Bigpond send you as their "Home Network Gateway" wireless router - and you can seriously cook a BBQ on the sucker.....

chrissn89
30th November 2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah I've been reading up on all the over heating/cooling issues they have with there wireless routers. I guess as long as they give you at least a 12month warranty it should be alright, a 24month warranty would be good tho as its the length of the contract. Some of these routers are running at or above 80 degrees and are just cooking the internal components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vectracious
30th November 2010, 11:51 PM
I think its only a 1 year warranty on the unit - but I'm not too fussed about it if it goes - Dad can get me another one pretty easy.

I just make sure I dont leave anything on it and it has plenty of ventilation around it to keep it as cool as possible.

AfterBurner
1st December 2010, 07:50 PM
I've had my Thomson TG782T which is what Bigpond send you as their "Home Network Gateway" wireless router - and you can seriously cook a BBQ on the sucker.....
I have the same rooter but with TPG (unlocked it FTW!)

I stand mine vertically & just checked it now & it's cool as a cucumber, slightly heated where the power goes in though - but not hot...
Weird... Is urs sitting flat Vectracious??

Vectracious
1st December 2010, 08:18 PM
I have the same rooter but with TPG (unlocked it FTW!)

I stand mine vertically & just checked it now & it's cool as a cucumber, slightly heated where the power goes in though - but not hot...
Weird... Is urs sitting flat Vectracious??

yeah - I have it sitting flat - have just turned it over onto its side - will see how that goes. :)

Greg K
2nd December 2010, 09:25 AM
sorry if I am asking a question that has been covered already, but can I plug in my 3/voda 3G HSDPA USB stick into a USB router, and enable a secure wi-fi connection to my Mac and laptop? Instead of plugging the USB stick from one device to another?

Cheers
Greg K

AfterBurner
2nd December 2010, 09:29 AM
easiest way is to put the SIM into a 3G wireless modem/rooter...

Not sure if u can share via the USB port, iirc it's only for network HDD or similar...

Greg K
2nd December 2010, 09:39 AM
easiest way is to put the SIM into a 3G wireless modem/rooter...

Not sure if u can share via the USB port, iirc it's only for network HDD or similar...

cheers mate. I'll look into it.

AfterBurner
2nd December 2010, 09:48 AM
I may be able to help u out with 1...

PM me.

Vectracious
3rd December 2010, 08:00 PM
well have turned the Bigpond/Thomson BBQ sideways and running very cool now - as you said Afterburner, a bit warm where the power goes in but a massive improvement from before. Too bad they don't make a little cradle for them to sit in so they don't tip over easily....

AfterBurner
4th December 2010, 07:57 AM
Good stuff...

My colleague @work knows how to unlock them FTW!.. Im running mine on TPG, lol...

brc
7th December 2010, 12:46 PM
Telstra have lowered there prices to compete.

If you want quality and coverage I would highly recommend telstra.

I have been with Optus/3/Soul/Vodaphone

Them
All.