PDA

View Full Version : yet another opel ends on a tow truck!!!

adam_92
29th October 2010, 09:45 PM
well guys it was my turn this time. the gsi ended upon a tow truck today and its not going anywhere for a while!!! i was driving from repco to my work and the car was lacking power. it would only do 15kmh in 1st gear and i managed to get to 30kmh in 3rd then i got to the lights and it cut out and wouldnt start again. i managed to push it onto the side of the road and opened the bonnet for a look and realised the harmonic balancer was on about a 25 degree angle when it should be straight so either the harmonic balancer rubber has perished which is the best scenario or the crankshaft has snapped which is the worst case and will need rebuilding or a new engine... the joys of owning an opel

hazrd
29th October 2010, 09:46 PM
got a photo?
might aswell add it to the collection

dont u dare steve...

adam_92
29th October 2010, 09:52 PM
i cant upload the pics. i cant find the wire for my phone haha. if i pic message u can u upload them 4 me ?

hazrd
29th October 2010, 09:53 PM
lol yeah ok
pm coming through

adam_92
29th October 2010, 10:00 PM
thanks mate. pics sent

xplosv57
29th October 2010, 10:01 PM
dont u dare steve...

=)

not good news mate, fingers crossed its only the balancer!!

hazrd
29th October 2010, 10:04 PM
ouch mate, nasty as
+1 on what steve said!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/hazrd/dobba1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/hazrd/dobba2.jpg

adam_92
29th October 2010, 10:06 PM
yeah i hope so. i wanted to rebuild and modify the engine but just not this soon and its not exactly how i planned hahaha

xplosv57
29th October 2010, 10:07 PM
looks like the balancer rubber has perished like you said

cheap and easy fix!!

adam_92
29th October 2010, 10:15 PM
i hope it is but im not too sure if it is just that. when you get in closer and have a good look it looks like the whole pulley has come away so either the bolt has stripped the threads or the crankshaft has fukd

auzvectra
1st November 2010, 10:21 AM
sorry to say, but there is no rubber on the pulley :(.

the pulley is bolted strait thru to the timing pully too, so it it's that loose then the timing pulley is too.

if ur lucky it's just thrown the timing out a lil and u havent done much damage. but isn't too likely.

the bolt may have come loose n the keyway got chopped out, i would say knowing this type of engine that just the pulley has come loose and the crank angle isnt picking up the signal, as the gsi and the x18xe take the crank signal from around the rim of the pulley ;). u might be alright :D.

let me know if u want the size of the crank bolt.