PDA

View Full Version : Damn Calibra Radiator

fuzznucket
28th October 2010, 02:39 PM
I dont know if anyone has read my thread on putting a C20LET into a Mk2 Vauxhall Astra.

we used a transplanted Rad from a Calibra, and about a week ago I had a hose blow off from the header tank, after I had shut off the engine. Replaced the hose and all was good till yesterday, when same thing happened.

I shut off the engine, big whoosh, and the rad seemed to have gotten itself a huge split in the side and lost all its coolant. It wasnt even a particilarly hot day and it went with quite a pop.

Its the kind of Rad that has the plastic sides, so I'm wondering if they are prone to blowing like that or if I potentially have another issue with the cooling system, given that the car hasnt driven around too much.

This is the radiator I have and we've got the hose running from the top into the turbo, then back out into the header tank. From the images I've seen around the web almost everyone has them running into the tank but I've never seen any fluid pumping through that hose, so I'm wondering if we havent stuffed up somewhere.

Also if anyone has any bright ideas on the best replacement I could sure use a pointer.

http://www.ozmedia.com/astra/radiator.jpg

poita
28th October 2010, 02:50 PM
i have a c20xe radiator here you can have for the cost of postage

fuzznucket
28th October 2010, 03:01 PM
i have a c20xe radiator here you can have for the cost of postage

Mate that would be exceptionally generous of you ... I'll PM you, as it could really get me out of a hole. I cant even drive it atm :)

I'll PM you.

Wraith
29th October 2010, 08:30 AM
I've had that happen on the bottom exit pipe of the rad on my V6 Cali...lucky the car wasn't running at the time, it popped after I'd parked...

What I found the prob was that the hoses are secured by those spring clips and they obviously don't do the job well, so I've replaced some of them with threaded ties instead, just got to be careful not to over tighten them because the fittings are plastic and those spring clips allow for expansion...

Havn't had a prob from any hoses popping off since doing the above...

As for above mentioned probs, you'd have to check with Cali T owners to see if all your pipes are on in the same manner to determine what's going on...

fuzznucket
9th November 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks Wraith,

I think its hooked up OK as far as I can tell, so I reckon the radiator was just knackered.

A few sites I looked at were saying that the ones with the plastic side tanks were a bit shit.

If anyone has a spare radiator (need one thats about 390mm deep as opposed to the above diagram) Then I'd be SOOOOOO grateful to buy it from you.

Cheers