PDA

View Full Version : 2002 TS Astra Sri - so loved but first problems

Glenn2199
19th October 2010, 11:24 PM
g'day everyone and thanks for letting me join your forum. i am the proud owner of a 2002 silver sri 5-speed with still only 62,500 km on the clock. i have kept it in immaculate nick.

i thought i should join this forum in aid of some advice. my car had it's first breakdown recently. the emission warning light came on and the car misfired and shook badly. so off to my trusted mechanic i went. he ran a computer diagnosis, cleared the warning light and checked the electrical system ( new plugs and filters installed and coil seems ok ). it drove perfectly afterwards but 2 weeks later the problem reared its head again.

he believes there could be a minute crack in the plastic inlet manifold causing the ECU to play up. it is a very expensive part and repair i fear. has anybody had a similar experience and should i post this thread in a more appropriate place ?

thanks for any help or advice in advance

guy 27
19th October 2010, 11:28 PM
Welcome to OA.

what fuel do you use?
if it contains ethanol it can cause the symptoms you described.

Where are you located?

Glenn2199
19th October 2010, 11:33 PM
hi guy..thanks for the welcome and quick reply..i have only ever put premium unleaded into her eg vortex..i am from sydney

guy 27
19th October 2010, 11:40 PM
see if your mechanic can read the fault code as that will help in diagnosing the problem.
needs be be done via obd-2 port.

a crack in the inlet manifold would cause issues all the time.

hope you can get the issue sorted out.

Glenn2199
19th October 2010, 11:46 PM
the first scan printout he showed me displayed ' misfire '. the second scan showed no error. thanks, i am so proud of this car and hope we can get to the bottom of it. am i correctly naming it the inlet manifold ? i was surprised to see it was made of black plastic.

btm
20th October 2010, 10:37 AM
hi glenn and welcome to the site

good to see another well looked after SRi in sydney... i just clicked over 60,000km in mine last weekend :)

good luck with the issues, hope you get them sorted out quickly and cheaply!

CNBLU
20th October 2010, 11:08 AM
Welcome to OA matey.

What was the code that came up?

glider
20th October 2010, 11:57 AM
the first scan printout he showed me displayed ' misfire '. the second scan showed no error. thanks, i am so proud of this car and hope we can get to the bottom of it. am i correctly naming it the inlet manifold ? i was surprised to see it was made of black plastic.

welcome and yes you are correct, the inlet manifold is plastic,

if you need a new one, try z22se.org, alot of the members on there have fitted the 2.4 manifold and may have their old manifolds still

metry
20th October 2010, 09:46 PM
welcome to oa mate. hope your car is all good again soon

Glenn2199
21st October 2010, 10:48 AM
thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice. i don't know if my mechanic still has the codes that came up during the first scan. i recall just seeing 'misfire' on the printout. the second time it was scanned no elecrtrical fault was found. i will give the sri a good run this weekend..fingers crossed..then might chase up an old manifold via the UK website

Glenn2199
24th October 2010, 03:24 PM
well the best laid plans have come undone again...fault returned about 30km into my drive on saturday. lost all power but warning light did not come on. i kept the motor running after i limped it home so the nrma could have a look but by the time they arrived the misfire had gone. looks like a trip to the service department at suttons or peninsular holden. does anybody have a preference for holden dealers or are they much of a muchness ?

daaaaavek
24th October 2010, 06:23 PM
yeh good to see another 2.2 TS owner here!

Damn .. I threw out my old 2.2 inlet manifold a few weeks ago, I've done the 2.4 conversion too. It would be interesting to see what codes it's throwing up.

Glenn2199
30th November 2010, 01:47 AM
after leaving my car with the holden dealer for a couple of days the problem was found to be the ignition coil pack, which was replaced. the scannet tech ii threw out the following code DTC-P-0300-Random Cylinder Misfire. so two weeks later and $900 odd poorer the sri has not missed a beat and seems to be her old self, touch wood ! the dealer believes the inlet manifold, ecu, sensors or pre-cat not to be at fault after all.

CNBLU
30th November 2010, 09:16 AM
$900 ouch!

it breaks my heart when I see shit like that.