PDA

View Full Version : New Volvo S60 T6 run in. 1800km, 2 days, flood and snow

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 11:26 AM
Not that many of you will be interested but I thought I would post this up anyway.

We (Volvo Car Australia) launched the new S60 on Friday at the international motor show.

I was given the keys to 1 of 15 that needed to be run in ready for various media people.

This one is going to Drive magazine later this week so I had to get the kms on it quick smart.

Saturday Morning picked up the car and headed from Sydney to Griffith via Forbes.

I encountered a bit of the flooding that hit that area. I arrived in Griffith around 16:30

had a bite to eat filled up with fuel and made my way to Wagga Wagga via Narrandera. Took a quick drive around town

and started again towards Tumut where I spent the night. I made it just in time as the Emergency services started clearing

all the debris from the flooding. Sunday Morning I made my way along the snowy mountains to Khancoban though to Jindabyne, Cooma then Sydney.

Through all those towns I drove through a decent amount of snow. All in all it was a good trip and the S60 behaved very well. Stuck to the wet

ice covered roads like sh1t to a blanket. I must say this vehicle is a great advancement for the Volvo brand. I pushed her hard thought the twisty passes

and not once did she want so slip and slide. The continental sports fitted on all fours do compliement the handling. 224kw and 440Nm all from a revvy 3lt turbo engine.

I get to do it all again. This time il head north west.

Check the pics here:

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/S60%20run%20in/

Nurb608
19th October 2010, 11:57 AM
Really like the look of these with the exception of the front grill and the interior.

gmonkey
19th October 2010, 11:57 AM
I do like volvos nowdays they are starting to look good and less pensionery.. I must say the facelift of the c30 is hot!!!!

gmonkey
19th October 2010, 12:01 PM
http://boza.com/images/volvo-c30/c30-world/2011-volvo-c30-rdesign-03_640.jpg

If only wasn't so over priced!

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 12:26 PM
For $65k, I would expect a better interior.

However, that may be what Volvo customers like.

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 12:31 PM
Working for the brand for 3 years now I can say yes they have a focus on changin the image of the brand.

We see a lot more young couples and youg execs buying our vehicles.

I have driven plenty of the C30 T5 R's and did a few trips running them in and are a a great european alternative to the likes

of 1 series and A3.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/PICT0050.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/PICT0049.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/PICT0054.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/PICT0052.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/PICT0053.jpg

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 12:33 PM
For $65k, I would expect a better interior.

However, that may be what Volvo customers like.

When you sit in it, its a diffrent situation. It is very scandinavian.

It is really not that bad with the black or 2 tone leather

Wraith
19th October 2010, 12:45 PM
Not that many of you will be interested but I thought I would post this up anyway.

We (Volvo Car Australia) launched the new S60 on Friday at the international motor show.

I was given the keys to 1 of 15 that needed to be run in ready for various media people.

This one is going to Drive magazine later this week so I had to get the kms on it quick smart.

Saturday Morning picked up the car and headed from Sydney to Griffith via Forbes.

I encountered a bit of the flooding that hit that area. I arrived in Griffith around 16:30

had a bite to eat filled up with fuel and made my way to Wagga Wagga via Narrandera. Took a quick drive around town

and started again towards Tumut where I spent the night. I made it just in time as the Emergency services started clearing

all the debris from the flooding. Sunday Morning I made my way along the snowy mountains to Khancoban though to Jindabyne, Cooma then Sydney.

Through all those towns I drove through a decent amount of snow. All in all it was a good trip and the S60 behaved very well. Stuck to the wet

ice covered roads like sh1t to a blanket. I must say this vehicle is a great advancement for the Volvo brand. I pushed her hard thought the twisty passes

and not once did she want so slip and slide. The continental sports fitted on all fours do compliement the handling. 224kw and 440Nm all from a revvy 3lt turbo engine.

I get to do it all again. This time il head north west.

Check the pics here:

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/Corzza2/S60%20run%20in/

Good write up CORZZA :)

Personally I don't like the look of this new S60 T6, IMO looks like a SAAB met with a sledge hammer at the end of the production line...

The C30 T5 looks much better o/a except for the rear end which IMO looks like an old model Megane again greated by a sledge hammer at the end of the production line...the top whack variant with around 300kw (not sure if Volvo are producing it or not ?) is a beast though...

Interesting how the 3.0ltr engine of the S60 T6 has the same output as the Volvo IL5 engine in the RS Focus...

gmonkey
19th October 2010, 01:07 PM
Good write up CORZZA :)

Personally I don't like the look of this new S60 T6, IMO looks like a SAAB met with a sledge hammer at the end of the production line...

The C30 T5 looks much better o/a except for the rear end which IMO looks like an old model Megane again greated by a sledge hammer at the end of the production line...the top whack variant with around 300kw (not sure if Volvo are producing it or not ?) is a beast though...

Interesting how the 3.0ltr engine of the S60 T6 has the same output as the Volvo IL5 engine in the RS Focus...

C30 coupe fixes that ;)

Vectracious
19th October 2010, 01:13 PM
don't mind the new Volvo's - the V70 T6 is a nice bit of kit - but didn't actually know about it at the time I bought the R36...

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 01:21 PM
The Volvo is not everyones cup of tea. But they are picking up here in Aus. Around 5000 sales a year is not too shabby.

Last month we outsold Lexus and peugot by 60 odd cars and more for peugot.

They have come a long way and I know the brand image is changing slowly. We see more young couples and execs buying these cars and its a great advertisment for the Volvo brand.

@ wraith yes sir the Polestar C30 with 300killer wasps is on the cards. ;)

Ice
19th October 2010, 01:57 PM
Really like the look of these with the exception of the front grill and the interior.

so which part of it do you like ??? haha

Ice
19th October 2010, 02:04 PM
nice pics and write up Corzza :) I myself am a Volvo man and have had three ! probably helps that the old man had 2 XC70.

Good to see some positive comments about the car. I bet it was a treat to drive :)

If i had the money ide definately buy a Volvo, their pricing is really good compared to the other Euro's out there.

Nurb608
19th October 2010, 02:05 PM
so which part of it do you like ??? haha

lol, the exterior minus the grill :p They are definately growing away from the old "box" shape that they kept for so long.

Ice
19th October 2010, 02:20 PM
lol, the exterior minus the grill :p They are definately growing away from the old "box" shape that they kept for so long.

well the 98 C70 was their first effort at getting away from that image. Boy what a good car that was....when new that is, haha

gmonkey
19th October 2010, 03:43 PM
I still remember when the s60 came out (think was s60) it had a a 2wd and awd variant and I loved the car and wanted the awd version but what didn't make sence was the 2wd one had higher psi than the awd one meaning more power and it was fwd?! :S made no sence to me

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 04:02 PM
I am not aware of that.

I know the 2004 model S60R had 220kw and it was AWD

There was no 2wd with that sort of power

Wraith
19th October 2010, 05:59 PM
Despite these new models not exactly being my cup of tea, (although I do like parts of them, just not o/a) I do agree with some of you guys in that Volvos have indeed come a long way and will only get better just like most other brands...certainly even other not so popular Euro companies like Renault and Peugoet are starting to produce good looking as well as good performing cars :)

If the rear of the C30 gets a similar update bettering it like Reno has done with the new RS 250 then it'll be a winner IMO, I definitely wouldn't say no to that 'Polestar' variant, it sounds like its got the goods to knock off any other production hot hatch curently around !!!

hazrd
19th October 2010, 06:09 PM
nice write up
nice car

definitely come a long way since the big old 240 :)

gmonkey
19th October 2010, 06:17 PM
Yep just remembered what it was the s60awd had 154kw and then the s60r had 220 and both were same engine and interior looked same and everything but $30k difference :p

guy 27
19th October 2010, 06:45 PM
definitely come a long way since the big old 240 :)

the 240 was a tank though. my old one took so much to kill.
as long as the new ones are built as well they will be an amazing car.

I love the styling on them now. they look really elegant and don't look like they will age quickly.

hazrd
19th October 2010, 09:29 PM
i agree
too bad theyre a bit out of the general price range though :(

CORZZA
20th October 2010, 07:13 AM
Still the Volvo is cheap amoungst its Euro competitors & Lexus.

I suppose you could say they are bang for buck if you are looking for a Euro. The Volvo offers as much as the benz, bmw etc the only thing it lacks is the monster

engines those brands offer.

Ice
20th October 2010, 09:34 AM
Still the Volvo is cheap amoungst its Euro competitors & Lexus.

I suppose you could say they are bang for buck if you are looking for a Euro. The Volvo offers as much as the benz, bmw etc the only thing it lacks is the monster

engines those brands offer.

In Europe, BMW, Mercedes and Volvo are all priced roughly the same..its just for whatever reason the 2 big boys (probably because they can) decide to put massive price hikes on their car prices.

Wraith
20th October 2010, 01:06 PM
In Europe, BMW, Mercedes and Volvo are all priced roughly the same..its just for whatever reason the 2 big boys (probably because they can) decide to put massive price hikes on their car prices.

It's all a case of local or individual car market reputations and marketing/milking brands based on that !!!

Here in Australia, you simply can't shake off the prestige 'vale' established for Euro brands like BMW, Merc, or Audi...they're always going to be priced as high as they are, despite quite alot of their lower end model range actually being rubbish or not very good at all, the upper models are fantastic though, but clearly over priced that fact is so obvious from their massive depreciation rates...same old if they can get away with it, why not :p

Ice
20th October 2010, 01:26 PM
It's all a case of local or individual car market reputations and marketing/milking brands based on that !!!

Here in Australia, you simply can't shake off the prestige 'vale' established for Euro brands like BMW, Merc, or Audi...they're always going to be priced as high as they are, despite quite alot of their lower end model range actually being rubbish or not very good at all, the upper models are fantastic though, but clearly over priced that fact is so obvious from their massive depreciation rates...same old if they can get away with it, why not :p

very true, by putting a higher price on it alot of people think they are getting the best when in actuall fact the quality gap is closing fast. Your really paying for exclusivity..and you know what ! if I had the money ide buy a BMER too.