PDA

View Full Version : Advice on panel replacement + Hello

stbishop
18th October 2010, 12:41 PM
Hey guys,

I've been looking around here for a few weeks and thought that this would be the best place to get some advice on replacing a couple of panels for my TS astra.

Unfortunately it's not covered under insurance as it was my mate who dinged it and he only has CTP (even though he makes more than enough to get proper insurance) and I don't know where I stand on my insurance as it was partially my fault that it got dinged.
We were racing to a mates house (Not speeding, I'm not that stupid, just seeing who knew the fastest route) and I went to over take him, he tried to turn a corner as I was pulling around him unfortunately my brakes locked up a little and I couldn't stop in time and he hit a fender with the tray of his ute, luckily he pulled away as soon as he realised what was happening so it's a dent in the panel rather than complete distruction.

For an idea of impact force, the indicator on that panel is still intact with a hairline fracture that doesn't run the length of the palstic cover.

I need to replace the front bumper and a the left fender, it's a sedan if that make any difference and I was wondering what route I should take. I just spoke to a panel beater and he said at least $1000.00 for the panels alone, plus labour, plus paint as it would need to be blended to adjacent panels (ie. Passenger door, bonnet, right fender).

Is there any chance that a wrecker would be able to supply me with undamaged panels?

Anyone else had this problem before?

Anyone know how much labour would be involved in just removing and fitting the panels (As in, number of hours)?

Would my brother and I be able to replace the panels, or would that be illegal?

Also, I'm in WA in case that has any impact.

And, Hi. Sorry that I couldn't have a happier first post.

guy 27
18th October 2010, 12:57 PM
first of all we need to know what year and model car you have.

you can replace anything you want on your car you like as long as it is done correctly.
I would suggest getting a manuel for the car so it will give you a better indication on how its all put together.
the only thing i would be worried about would be if the crumpel zone has been damaged.
if you can post some pics up we should be able to guide you along the way.

as for getting panels, you can either go to the wreckers and get second hand or in most cases for a couple of $ more you can get brand new aftermarket panels. I have found that some wreckers ask more than new aftermarket parts and panels.
Don't be put off by aftermarket panels. they are fully adr compliant. Only thing i have found with them is they are a thinner metal so won't be 100% as strong in the event of an accident but will still be fine.

as for paint. thats going to be the tough one. You might get lucky and find the parts your after from the wreckers in the right colour of your car otherwise you will need too get it done professionally. maybe find someone who will do it for cash for cheaper.

btm
18th October 2010, 03:36 PM
just to clarify... if the accident was his fault, and he only has CTP insurance... doesnt this mean you're coverd under his policy???

metry
18th October 2010, 07:27 PM
CTP as in compulsory third party insurance only covers any damage done to the person not their belongings. for instance if stbishop recieved a broken arm from the incident he would be covered.

AfterBurner
18th October 2010, 07:31 PM
He means CTP only, not 3rd party insurance, in other words...

stbishop
18th October 2010, 07:43 PM
first of all we need to know what year and model car you have.

you can replace anything you want on your car you like as long as it is done correctly.
I would suggest getting a manuel for the car so it will give you a better indication on how its all put together.
the only thing i would be worried about would be if the crumpel zone has been damaged.
if you can post some pics up we should be able to guide you along the way.

as for getting panels, you can either go to the wreckers and get second hand or in most cases for a couple of $ more you can get brand new aftermarket panels. I have found that some wreckers ask more than new aftermarket parts and panels.
Don't be put off by aftermarket panels. they are fully adr compliant. Only thing i have found with them is they are a thinner metal so won't be 100% as strong in the event of an accident but will still be fine.

as for paint. thats going to be the tough one. You might get lucky and find the parts your after from the wreckers in the right colour of your car otherwise you will need too get it done professionally. maybe find someone who will do it for cash for cheaper.

It's an '03 TS Astra CD Sedan, Silver if that makes any difference.
I am rather confident that the crumple zone wasn't damaged but as I've never really had any experience I will accept that it's a possibility.

I'll post pics tomorrow, there's bad lighting where the car's parked at this time of day anyway, and it hasn't had a wash since last wednesday so it's not looking too good.

EDIT: In regards to the painting any chance there's a painter here in Perth?

CTP as in compulsory third party insurance only covers any damage done to the person not their belongings. for instance if stbishop recieved a broken arm from the incident he would be covered.

That's correct. He's rediculous. If he wasn't a good friend I'd be sending him a bill and then taking it to court if he didn't pay, as it stands I'll probably get him to fork out half or so seeing as he makes more money than I do.

guy 27
18th October 2010, 07:52 PM
ok sweet. will help you out further when you post some pics up.
from what you have written. could you take a pics or, guards, front bar, bonnet, headlight mounts, reo bar (its up the top behind the front bar) and the crumple zones (inline with the reo bar underneath the headlights)

just remember that the ts astras are all the same up to the a pillar. so if you go to the wreckers. any parts of a 98-04 ts astra will fit. you should be able to find the parts in silver easily as its one of the most if not the most common colour out there. might help save you in painting.

kabel
18th October 2010, 08:32 PM
Plenty of painters in Perth for you to choose from.
You could always remove and re-fit new panels yourself and then have final paint done by others,may save you some money.

stbishop
19th October 2010, 03:53 PM
ok sweet. will help you out further when you post some pics up.
from what you have written. could you take a pics or, guards, front bar, bonnet, headlight mounts, reo bar (its up the top behind the front bar) and the crumple zones (inline with the reo bar underneath the headlights)

just remember that the ts astras are all the same up to the a pillar. so if you go to the wreckers. any parts of a 98-04 ts astra will fit. you should be able to find the parts in silver easily as its one of the most if not the most common colour out there. might help save you in painting.

I wasn't entirely sure what you wanted pics wise so I got a couple from different angles which I'll put here:
Here's the Whole panel - As you can see the bonet wasn't affected, if you want the engine bay I can show that.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00070-1.jpg
From the front left
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00064-1.jpg
Same spot but I moved the car for different lighting, not sure which picture was better so you've got both
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00069.jpg

Next to the panel
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00065-1.jpg
From behind
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00067-1.jpg
From in front
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00068.jpg
Bumper is shifted image here
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/mebwire/IMG00071.jpg

guy 27
19th October 2010, 03:59 PM
ahh, thats not bad.

i thought you had front end damage.

just pop down to the wreckers and get another guard in the same colour.
its only a couple of bolts holding it in.

i can't really tell but is the headlight damaged or just the cover?

as for the bumper. its just popped off the clip thats on the guard. once you put another guard in it should line up pretty well.

stbishop
19th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks, I thought so too but as I said, I've no experience in the area so it's good to check these sorts of things.

It's just the cover, not the head light. I was considering removing them both but it's cheaper to replace covers than headlights if a stone is thrown up on the free way. Incidentally that recently happened exept the rock flew in my window and hit me in the head.

Yeah, the clip on the guard broke so there's a small self-tapping screw through the middle of the bumper's clip and then into the plastic of the guard, it was hanging off when I got home, I was quite depressed.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

guy 27
19th October 2010, 04:10 PM
the headlights are plastic, not glass. so they will just chip rather than crack if they get hit by a stone.

you can replace the guard yourself in a couple of hours, with some basic tools.

stbishop
19th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks.

I'll see if I can find a silver astra at a wreckers somewhere in perth then.