PDA

View Full Version : eBook reader

Vectracious
17th October 2010, 05:17 PM
with the dollar at parity with the US dollar - I want to get a ebook reader - probably the Kindle (because its the one I've heard most about) - anyone else have other recommendations on what to get???

And I'm not interested in an iPad so don't suggest that....

poita
17th October 2010, 05:21 PM
check out Sony also

we had a couple at work and they where overpriced for what they did.

but yer some of the kindles have wifi so you can d/l books via your network

hazrd
17th October 2010, 05:23 PM
have bought a kindle the other day for the missus for christmas

was lucky that i held off lol
her dad has one and he stands by it... SHITS all over the ipad from an ebook perspective, because it can be read in any light. and u get over a months battery life (with wifi off) because it only uses the power to refresh the screen

had a play with his and its an awesome bit of kit

no idea how long it will take to get here though

Vectracious
17th October 2010, 06:40 PM
just ordered the kindle off Amazon. 139 + 20 for shipping to Aus. Delivery between the 20-25 October so about a week which isn't too bad.

hazrd
17th October 2010, 07:49 PM
just logged on and checked mine... between 22nd and 25th... fark... where am i gunna hide the thing for 2 months :lol:

dieselhead
17th October 2010, 07:53 PM
The Kindle is awesome for reading. Well, hat what is made for :) I got one months ago when it cost me just over A$300 delivered. The best part is Whispernet, the wireless broadband connection that comes with it and it is free of charge. It only takes a minute from the moment you purchased the book from Amazon to starting reading it. Have to watch your credit card though, so easy to spend on books using this thing :D

2002_XC
17th October 2010, 09:02 PM
i want one :cryin:

poita
17th October 2010, 09:12 PM
i want one :cryin:

See this cry for desperation Rory

oh btw where did you guys get yours from?

Ebay? Amazon?

hazrd
17th October 2010, 09:26 PM
Amazon.. Cheaper than ebay

eBay has the wifi only ones at the same price as amazons wifi+ 3G ones :crazy:

poita
17th October 2010, 09:30 PM
saw the wifi models for $139 on amazon, sound about right?

2 things i cant really find on the site.

do they have expandable memory ie sd card reader?

and do you have to pay for all the books? can you get them through any online stores, or amazon only?

is it a big range of books? the misses is half interested in one now

Vectracious
17th October 2010, 09:44 PM
I only got the wifi model, not the 3G/Whispernet model.

I figured you can fit 3500 books on the thing, I can download them at home, load them up and its good for a while.

Got mine direct from Amazon as well.

Also Pete, the new generation has a pdf viewer built in as well, and there is a program called Calibre that will convert any text you want into e-book format that you can read on the Kindle. So yes, you can buy the books on Amazon (which are about $10 compard to say $25 at Borders) or umm *cough* T*rr*nt *cough* and use calibre to convert.

poita
17th October 2010, 09:52 PM
hmmm its too close to calibra

no doubt it will be great to start with, yet too expensive

then as it ages goes to shit and costs you a fukin fortune! be enough of calibra bashing :lol:

OT: thanks pete, defin gonna look into it more. and with the aussie dollar being so awesome, might just splash out and get one.

btw how much they slug you for freight? *edit: nevermind. just saw $20*

SSS_Hoon
18th October 2010, 07:17 AM
I only just downloaded iBook for my iPhone I assume same sort of thing. Can the ebooks u buy for them be read on the iPhone via iBooks? As the ones for iBooks are all old and nothing new.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
18th October 2010, 09:18 AM
I only just downloaded iBook for my iPhone I assume same sort of thing. Can the ebooks u buy for them be read on the iPhone via iBooks? As the ones for iBooks are all old and nothing new.

SSS_Hoon

I think they're all different, because you can buy the kindle app for the iphone/ipad and download and read amazon books - also can get the nook app from Barnes & Noble and most likely the Borders app too. The kindle only runs Amazon stuff and you have to convert anything else manually to read on it.

Amazon has only about 300,000 titles available for Australia (compared to about 600,000 + titles for US), but apparently there's ways around that and you can get access to the US range - just have to change a couple of settings on it...

dieselhead
18th October 2010, 04:54 PM
There is a free app for iPhone on Amazon. From what I know, any book you buy can be read on up to 6 different devices, including Kindle, PC and iPhone if you wanna.

Vectracious
22nd October 2010, 09:56 AM
Kindle just arrived - looks pretty well built and the eInk tech they use on the screen really does make it look like paper.

Problem is I just found out I need glasses which are going to take a week, so wont be able to start using it until then!!!!!!!

hazrd
22nd October 2010, 10:01 AM
1. ur an old bugger :p
2. how the hell did you get yours before me?!?!

edit .. scratch that

Date
October 22, 2010

Time
08:33:00 AM

Event Details
Out for deliverysoon :)

poita
25th October 2010, 10:32 PM
so thoughts Adz?

since pete cant even see his

poita
25th October 2010, 11:40 PM
meh you took too long to reply :p

just bought one, $168inc postage.

and a pretty pink case for $11 from ebay

Vectracious
26th October 2010, 08:42 AM
I love it Pete - although I think I will need to get a case for it as well - the screen looks like it could get hit/damaged quite easily.

Have already bought a couple of books and am reading on it (got my glasses yesterday) - although Stav got a hold of it and bought a book too - might have to just get her one as well....

2002_XC
26th October 2010, 09:08 AM
i hate you all!! :p

poita
26th October 2010, 10:28 AM
I love it Pete - although I think I will need to get a case for it as well - the screen looks like it could get hit/damaged quite easily.

Have already bought a couple of books and am reading on it (got my glasses yesterday) - although Stav got a hold of it and bought a book too - might have to just get her one as well....

awesome to hear. btw cases are like $15 from ebay

it's cheap, buy yourself one. its not like its a $1500 manifold :p

2002_XC
26th October 2010, 11:22 AM
awesome to hear. btw cases are like $15 from ebay

it's cheap, buy yourself one. its not like its a $1500 manifold :p

childcare sucks every last cent out of my bank account dude, and seriously, the only time i have to read is on the train

hazrd
26th October 2010, 11:43 AM
so thoughts Adz?

since pete cant even see his

meh you took too long to reply :p

just bought one, $168inc postage.

and a pretty pink case for $11 from ebay

lol, 68mins to reply, and i was asleep at the time :p
havent powered it on yet, not sure i want to because it will sit there for 2 months and might bugger it, but i like the feel of it, its light, and looks great

will probably get her a case aswell because as pete said, it looks like it could break easily when dropped

Rory - i hope you are reading this.....

dieselhead
26th October 2010, 01:51 PM
Kindle just arrived - looks pretty well built and the eInk tech they use on the screen really does make it look like paper.

Problem is I just found out I need glasses which are going to take a week, so wont be able to start using it until then!!!!!!!

So why don't you increase the font size then? One of the advantages of e-readers is that you can do that. Heck, you can even get the damn thing to read to you while doing the dishes, ha ha ha!
I love mine to bits. Don't worry guys, these are sturdy little buggers, they won't break easily. They're no iPads you know... :D

Vectracious
26th October 2010, 09:33 PM
So why don't you increase the font size then? One of the advantages of e-readers is that you can do that. Heck, you can even get the damn thing to read to you while doing the dishes, ha ha ha!
I love mine to bits. Don't worry guys, these are sturdy little buggers, they won't break easily. They're no iPads you know... :D

good to hear that they are well built so dont have to worry about breaking them easily... :)

poita
2nd November 2010, 08:16 PM
well mine still hasnt arrived yet, sent them an email

they sent me a "we are sorry your shipment has been delayed" email

and have refunded my freight charges ;)