PDA

View Full Version : Custom Headlamps

Jerram
16th October 2010, 11:29 PM
Has anyone around here worked with anyone to design custom lighting options for cars? Just asking because whilst the GM powertrain on my saab is quite easily tunable, the Saab built bodywork and electrics haven't inspired much in the way of upgrades for one reason or another (eg. the radio takes a DIN and 2/3 space - what on earth fits that?))

guy 27
16th October 2010, 11:33 PM
anything you want to customize can be done. just depends how much you want to spend.

is there anything in particular your trying to achieve?

gmonkey
17th October 2010, 12:07 AM
I tried to custom my headlights it was a massive fail.. Shit melted before I could get it opened

Jerram
17th October 2010, 09:29 AM
I tried to custom my headlights it was a massive fail.. Shit melted before I could get it opened

that's why am planning on a fully new job. Also the existing ones don't really have any potential anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any decent companies that do this kind of thing. The other thing I'm still sorting out is someone to create a Lexus ISF inspired rear bumper and exhaust assembly.

guy 27
17th October 2010, 10:02 AM
the best i have come across are cincity designs link (http://niccruz.com/cincity-designs/)
might be worth contacting them and seeing what they can come up with.

as far as rear bumpers go. you need to find someone who builds bodykits to make something up for you. won't be cheap though, full custom bars won't come under 1k.

Jerram
17th October 2010, 10:16 AM
the best i have come across are cincity designs link (http://niccruz.com/cincity-designs/)
might be worth contacting them and seeing what they can come up with.

as far as rear bumpers go. you need to find someone who builds bodykits to make something up for you. won't be cheap though, full custom bars won't come under 1k.

alright thanks for that.

yeah I was planning on being up for between 1-2k

scaifeys2.2mk4
17th October 2010, 08:26 PM
that's why am planning on a fully new job. Also the existing ones don't really have any potential anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any decent companies that do this kind of thing. The other thing I'm still sorting out is someone to create a Lexus ISF inspired rear bumper and exhaust assembly.
you know on an isf that the exhaust is fake, its not even connected to the rear pipes

Jerram
17th October 2010, 09:24 PM
you know on an isf that the exhaust is fake, its not even connected to the rear pipes

yep. doesn't mean that an emulation has to be fake though

MatsHolden
18th October 2010, 10:49 PM
Hey mate, on the custom headlights... you would be looking at some serious dollars to have a custom set of headlights designed from scratch and manufactured. Unless you found a company that was willing to take on the costs of design and tooling if they see a market for the headlights. Otherwise you'll be looking at thousands.

Jerram
18th October 2010, 11:22 PM
Hey mate, on the custom headlights... you would be looking at some serious dollars to have a custom set of headlights designed from scratch and manufactured. Unless you found a company that was willing to take on the costs of design and tooling if they see a market for the headlights. Otherwise you'll be looking at thousands.

Hahaa I think the headlights as used on my car had a total production run of 5 years (94-98) before the 900NG changed over to the 9-3. Also for some reason there was no aero model in the 900NG range, and the cost of any variant from that model is these days less than 10k (average price is around 5) so I doubt there's going to be much of a market. I did figure that if I was going to be serious about it it would cost "enthusiast" money.

It's a bit silly really I have the usual dilemma of how much I'm prepared to spend versus how much I really should save for other things like house, a potential year in Melbourne, better car in general etc.

MatsHolden
19th October 2010, 12:57 PM
You'd be looking at $20k plus. Definately have to be some sort of enthusiast (crazy bastard) to spend that on a set of headlights. lol

Wraith
19th October 2010, 01:15 PM
It's a bit silly really I have the usual dilemma of how much I'm prepared to spend versus how much I really should save for other things like house, a potential year in Melbourne, better car in general etc.

I'd be thinking either get another better car or definitely the house rather than the custom big $$$ modifications on your existing car ;)