PDA

View Full Version : QFM HPX Observation

JohnBu
15th October 2010, 05:49 PM
Finally installed the QFM HPX onto the front axle of my SRi Turbo a few weeks /1,000km ago, together with new brake fluid.

I purchased them 21 months ago on special- thanks Greg! I still have the rears that I haven't used.

They don't come with the brake wear sensor, however I reused my old ones and they fit into the new pads, which I thought was a nice touch.

Xpolsv57 gave me a hand- thanks Steve.

These replaced EBC Greenstuffs, which were terrible.

Ok, thoughts, they bite very well from cold and very smooth.. unlike the Greenstuff, which wouldn't bite until you rake harder and then lock up kicking in ABS.

I haven't tracked them, nor had spirited drives down a Mountain, so can't give my experience on fade.

So they bite well from cold and don't have much brake dust. The rears with the smaller OEM pads has alot more brake dust.

My only negetive is that they 'squeal' at low speeds before coming to a complete stop, we used ample grease, so I'm are unsure of the reason.. perhaps a track day may get rid of the squeal. The squeal doesn't sound like grumble of the pads, it may be the clips from the backing plate.

Apart from squeal, which I'm can't say is from the installation, or the pads, I highly recommended them for the price.

xplosv57
15th October 2010, 06:42 PM
Could also be due to not replacing the disc, the disc will have a small lip and until the pad has worn into the lip, it will squeal!!

Your method of getting rid of the squeal can be good and bad!!

Mine didn't squeal till my first squirt up mountain roads, then squealed for a couple of months till i tracked it, then went away!!

Nurb608
15th October 2010, 07:18 PM
Mine squeel if I haven'e used them hard for a long time. Just give it a couple of hard breaking cycles and it should get rid of it, but as Steve said, wear them into the rotors first.

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 09:58 AM
Seems the squeal has gradually improved, however I didn't use the car over the weekend, whereas I generally drive it every day. lol.

What pads you running Rory?

hazrd
19th October 2010, 10:36 AM
ive had the QFMs in the SRi for months now, and they only stopped squealing recently, they just need to be worn in a fair bit (probably doesnt help that the main driver is a hanny driver)... the bite on braking will improve even more when the squealing has completely stopped

now its time for rears, they have started squealing now :lol:

Nurb608
19th October 2010, 11:09 AM
What pads you running Rory?

No idea, ferrodos or however you spell it I think.

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 11:12 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Maybe I'll take it for a run down Mt Dandenong with a few hard stops.

PS, I did break in the brake pads, brake at 80kmh to a near stop, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

After the first braking attempt, I hear 'what the **** you doing?' from my beautiful fiancee.

gslrallysport
19th October 2010, 12:04 PM
QFM's are what's known as a high transfer pad. They rely on alot of their own material on the rotor for them to interact properly. Often it can take a little longer than ideal for them to shut up...

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 12:20 PM
Well, if that is the case, I'll should be happier with them over time Greg.

I don't really notice the squeal 99% of the time, it doesn't bother me too much.

The only time I notice it is when I come to the complete stop in my carparking spot as it is enclosed, and the noise will bounce off the walls.

I'd rather live with the noise than have the brake dust the OEM pads produce.

gslrallysport
19th October 2010, 12:22 PM
If it becomes too much of an issue, EBC make a stick on shim kit, similar to what comes standard on TRW/Remsa/EBC pads. It's $17.50 per axle set, and targets the exact problem, as squeal is caused by harmonics between the backing plate and the caliper itself.

Vectracious
19th October 2010, 12:51 PM
from my beautiful fiancee.

OT: does she read the forum and now you have earned brownie points ? :p

gslrallysport
19th October 2010, 12:52 PM
I thought exactly the same thing :p

sooty
19th October 2010, 01:38 PM
I had to really, really cook mine until they were completely shot and i had no pedal left (1st day of tassie)
After that their performance picked up substantially and i couldn't get them to fade at all, also the squeal has also reduced to almost nothing.

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 01:40 PM
OT: does she read the forum and now you have earned brownie points ? :p

naah I see what trouble women can cause if they join up the forum... Rory has never been the same since.

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 01:45 PM
I had to really, really cook mine until they were completely shot and i had no pedal left (1st day of tassie)
After that their performance picked up substantially and i couldn't get them to fade at all, also the squeal has also reduced to almost nothing.

so a bit like a woman, you gotta treat them mean so they know their place, before they improve and do what you want them to.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sWW_ML24mLM/RtMzT0NOdHI/AAAAAAAAAOA/ApYucLFtsNM/s400/woman+carrying+load.jpg

sooty
19th October 2010, 01:53 PM
so a bit like a woman, you gotta treat them mean so they know their place, before they improve and do what you want them to.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sWW_ML24mLM/RtMzT0NOdHI/AAAAAAAAAOA/ApYucLFtsNM/s400/woman+carrying+load.jpg

Pretty much, yeah :lol:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2po323q.jpg

Nurb608
19th October 2010, 01:56 PM
naah I see what trouble women can cause if they join up the forum... Rory has never been the same since.

Yeah, i'm whipped lol :p

hazrd
19th October 2010, 03:48 PM
I'd rather live with the noise than have the brake dust the OEM pads produce.

another thing you will enjoy
i clean the front wheels once in a blue moon

JohnBu
13th December 2010, 04:40 PM
Just an update,

seem the low speed squeal has disappeared.

I haven't used them down a mountain run yet, but seems like a great day to day pad.