PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade your laptop HDD to SSD!

dieselhead
12th October 2010, 07:52 PM
Just got an 120 GB Patriot Inferno in my tiny Aspire 1410 notebook. ATTO test shows 268 MB/s write and 283 MB/s read speed. Everything starts and closes in an instant, the battery seems to last longer and the thing is dead quiet now. What's not to love? The pricetag maybe, cost me $299 but if you ask me, is worth it.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/PatriotInfernoxps1.jpg

Snotty
12th October 2010, 08:13 PM
ive been considering an ssd for my desktop. stupid question i have no idea about these things now. but will they work with standard sata interfaces or do you need to have something special, my machine is about 3 years old but still does the job fine.

dieselhead
12th October 2010, 09:39 PM
It should work all right, however it might limit speed if the mobo is too old. Better to check a few forums before you buy an expensive SSD. On the other hand, if my tiny lappie can reach these speeds then any desktop with SATA II posts should be able to :)

poita
12th October 2010, 09:52 PM
send me a 500gb one an i'll give it a go :p

still not convnced on SSD tbh

dieselhead
12th October 2010, 10:02 PM
You don't need 500 GB in a lappie, do you? :) If you're still not convinced, run the test on yours and then compare the figures. Speed is simply amazing. Google Earth for instance starts almost instantly now, so do all Office applications and the web browsers. All of this on a notebook powered by a dual core celeron running at 1.2 GHz.

lee
13th October 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm eventually going to swap the optical disk drive in my Macbook Pro with an SSD, and use that as a boot drive. Near instant boot and launch times are very attractive!

poita
13th October 2010, 01:21 PM
i do actually, since i dont use a desktop anymore.

using close to 300gb

MAD-16V
13th October 2010, 04:09 PM
SSD drives are the future, So much faster!! and dead silent!

But at the moment they are massively overpriced

Give it another year.

dieselhead
13th October 2010, 04:28 PM
My SSD cost me way more than the notebook, ha ha! However, I needed one for my peace of mind and of course, for the speed. So many HDDs fail in laptops due to either heat or killed by shocks. An SSD is imune to both, so is worth having even before speed is taken into account. And because it runs cooler, the laptops internals are a bit cooler, too.
I'll do a few videos with the Aspire starting, opening Google Earth and say Office and shutting down. So much fun to watch I tell ya! :D

MAD-16V
13th October 2010, 04:57 PM
I actually just purchased one of Toshibas new Satellite notebooks - It has this tech in it called 3d shock sensor - If the hard drive inside the notebook detects vibration or is bumped , The hard drives head is moved away from the platter to avoid damage.

Very cool tech - I find myself bumping it just to get the message pop up to say - Hey dont do that! :)

poita
13th October 2010, 05:04 PM
yer mine has that MAD, i disabled it though :lol:

diesel the reason im still stand offish (besides price) is the read write life of them

lee
13th October 2010, 05:14 PM
Give it another year.

People have been saying this for about 3 years ;)

dieselhead
13th October 2010, 05:20 PM
Bugger waiting when you get it doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlSsOzGq6M

... and reading Google News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjSITAyiXiY

mania
13th October 2010, 07:48 PM
Have had an SSD in my computer for a while now.. make a bigger single difference then any other single upgrade I've done in years..

So good being in windows a few seconds after pushing the on button.

lee
13th October 2010, 09:44 PM
So good being in windows a few seconds after pushing the on button.

How fast are your bootup times?

delemonte
14th October 2010, 11:08 AM
diesel the reason im still stand offish (besides price) is the read write life of them

+1... And just as a warning to anyone out there using a SSD as their system drive, make sure you don't have a Page File setup on it or you can say goodbye to that portion of sectors within a very short time!

They are brilliant for some scenarios but for the moment I'm not ready to embrace them fully...

mania
14th October 2010, 12:34 PM
How fast are your bootup times?
Just timed, 20s from post to end of starcraft 2 loading screen (to prove it's not vista's fake quick load where it then takes ages once the desktop's shown..).. with a bit of time in there being me entering my password. Resetting isn't so much the chore it used to be..

gmonkey
14th October 2010, 12:57 PM
Just timed, 20s from post to end of starcraft 2 loading screen (to prove it's not vista's fake quick load where it then takes ages once the desktop's shown..).. with a bit of time in there being me entering my password. Resetting isn't so much the chore it used to be..

U play Starcraft 2???!! :D

lee
14th October 2010, 03:25 PM

Sounds pretty good! We had a MacBook Pro set up at work with an SSD in it. We were getting 16 second boot times, from cold start to opening Safari :D

mania
14th October 2010, 03:40 PM
I imagine firefox would be similar, give or take a sec ;). And yes gmonkey =p

dieselhead
27th October 2010, 10:01 PM
have a look at how disproportionate that disk performance is :)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eBNN6aOqjCk/TMgTJIcN_qI/AAAAAAAAEY8/_zcweeRELPc/Fullscreen%20capture%2027102010%20102339%20PM.jpg

poita
27th October 2010, 10:12 PM
lol thats some crazy shit

Ice
27th October 2010, 10:29 PM
Meh ! who needs it when the rest is like this ;)

photoshop and apps like that open almost instantaneously or not enough to bother me. Having said that, those HDD speeds your showing are fantastic !

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj123/hoppe777/MISC/Win7exp.jpg

poita
27th October 2010, 10:34 PM
not bad for $1k ;)

http://i53.tinypic.com/24ordp4.jpg

Ice
27th October 2010, 10:48 PM
bloody 5.9 is pissing me off and bringing down my average....thinking of striping my hard drives just for the f**k of it.

poita
27th October 2010, 10:50 PM
hahahahaha

thats why i bought a laptop, got sick of a desktop and trying to get the next best thing all the time.

come on aussie dollar, rise some more. makes the ssd worth looking at, kinda.....

Ice
27th October 2010, 11:01 PM
hahahahaha

thats why i bought a laptop, got sick of a desktop and trying to get the next best thing all the time.

come on aussie dollar, rise some more. makes the ssd worth looking at, kinda.....

i know what you mean.....but its fun and you get a sense of achievement out of it :) with a laptop its easy but boring and spending money is fun :)

just purchasing another 2 500 gig hdd's and am going to do Raid 10

Shadow110
27th October 2010, 11:12 PM
ive got a macbook white latest model and love it to bits for light movie work.
an iMac 21" for heavy movie making.
and an oldie acer for gaming.

i worked in computer sales for 3 years and not once did any computers have SSDs, it was only an option for elite mac pro (the desktop models). and even then the cost was waaaay too much
for alot less u could have got velociraptor drives which from memory can spin up to 15 000 rpm.

poita
27th October 2010, 11:22 PM
i been doing it for...... now i think of it fukin too long lol

there is a 2 or 3 toshiba's and a handful of sony's in the line up and thats about it

lee
28th October 2010, 07:21 AM
I'll probably have a 128GB SSD in the next couple of weeks, as a guy from work is selling it to me for $200. It'll be a while after that before it's properly set up, though. I'll post pics as its happening.

i worked in computer sales for 3 years and not once did any computers have SSDs

Now the MacBook Airs have them as the only available means of storage, and the 11.6" one is the same price as the MacBook. Times are changing!

dieselhead
29th October 2010, 05:16 PM
SSD RAID 0 anyone? 2 X 60 GB OCZ Agillity 2 (Sandforce controllers):
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_eBNN6aOqjCk/TMpyR0Sq-AI/AAAAAAAAEZk/6B1huReapTA/Fullscreen%20capture%2029102010%2053044%20PM.jpg

Best $300 I have ever spent on computer upgrade.

Shadow110
30th October 2010, 10:10 PM
I know the Maccys have Ssd in the new ones, I only left like 3 months ago lol.
Even the first air had an option.
I just believe it's more about cost at the moment. Mass manufacturers are all about the dollar at the end.

poita
30th October 2010, 10:13 PM
I know the Maccys have Ssd in the new ones, I only left like 3 months ago lol.
Even the first air had an option.
I just believe it's more about cost at the moment. Mass manufacturers are all about the dollar at the end.

its the consumer's fault also. they want the best but dont want to pay for it.

expect it to be the fastest thing on the planet for under $500

kinda like expecting to buy a veyron with a budget for a scooter :lol:

Shadow110
30th October 2010, 10:18 PM
Hey my scooter is faster than a veyron. It's usually stuck in 3rd when I go past.
My macs are happy with their standard hard drives for now and when I gets me 27" iMac
I'll consider sdd

bornwild
2nd November 2010, 10:06 PM
Even though I can get a lot of them for less than half price, they're still too freakin expensive. However, just use a 60Gb SSD for the OS and use optical HDDs for storage and that's cost-effective.

MAD-16V
3rd November 2010, 05:11 PM
Even though I can get a lot of them for less than half price, they're still too freakin expensive. However, just use a 60Gb SSD for the OS and use optical HDDs for storage and that's cost-effective.

Less than half price? - Count me in for a few hundred units.

poita
3rd November 2010, 05:14 PM
for less than half price i'll have a few too

Calibrated
18th November 2010, 10:02 AM
please enlighten me as to where you can get a 120Gb Patriot Inferno for circa $150. i'll take a few hundred of them.

delemonte
18th November 2010, 11:11 AM
Groupbuy? I'll have a few...

poita
18th November 2010, 04:31 PM
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/NOODLESJOE/1ad51a60.jpg

Ice
18th November 2010, 09:46 PM

dude, seriously ! group buy, ill take 4 !

Calibrated
23rd November 2010, 12:20 PM
he clearly doesnt want to be part of this amazing group buy.

Ice
23rd November 2010, 01:27 PM
So when are we getting them ?

poita
23rd November 2010, 01:35 PM
refer to my previous post

and

General Information
Last Activity 3rd November 2010 10:49 PM

Ice
23rd November 2010, 02:58 PM
refer to my previous post

and

oh so he ran off with them all ? oh man !

dieselhead
23rd November 2010, 03:52 PM
Very disapointing to see so many comments off topic. Really disapointing indeed.
By the way, the 120GB Inferno is down to $249 at MSYs if anyone interested. I thought it was worth it at $300, more so for $50 less :)

metry
23rd November 2010, 08:23 PM
my friend has 2 ssds in raid 0. i have a normal 7200rpm hd. i have a better cpu, graphics card, ram and mobo and his comp is way quicker than mine. im keeping ssds in mind when i go for my next build hopefully next year. i never thought the type of hd you had made such a difference.