PDA

View Full Version : Australian International Motor Show 2010

mrbe
11th October 2010, 11:14 PM
This year is Sydney's turn to host the AIMS. Sept was a record month for carsales and 2010 looks to be the biggest year for new car sales. Hopefully that means Melbourne and Sydney will go back to both having a show each year.

The exhibitors list has been published. Not sure if it's finalised, but looking at it quickly there's no Ferrari, Bentley, Fiat, Citreon, Alfa.

It starts this Friday. Shame Opel won't be there. Or will they....

Haven't picked a day to go yet, but will definitely go.

http://www.motorshow.com.au/

traveltravel
12th October 2010, 01:50 AM
im going on my day off on friday if can be bothered.

i think id have more fun going to a dealer and test driving the cars rather then having a look and paying for the privilege

Greg K
12th October 2010, 07:50 AM
no BMW by the looks of it too...

Wraith
12th October 2010, 08:26 AM
I'll be attending this year, quick trip up from Melb. :)

Pity not all the brands will be there :(

metry
12th October 2010, 09:16 AM
its better than no show at all. last year was the first year of my life that i didnt go cause it was in mekbourne

MatsHolden
12th October 2010, 10:49 AM
So the manufacturers kicked up a stink about there being two major Motorshows each year in Australia and boycotted until they changed it to alternating between Melbourne and Sydney... Now they've alternated it they still don't turn up. What a joke.

Wraith
12th October 2010, 01:06 PM
So the manufacturers kicked up a stink about there being two major Motorshows each year in Australia and boycotted until they changed it to alternating between Melbourne and Sydney... Now they've alternated it they still don't turn up. What a joke.

That's what I was thinking too...:skep:

It may still be a case of GFC post recovery Matt ??

mrbe
12th October 2010, 10:22 PM

You wouldn't think so with Sept 10 being the best ever month for new cars sales. I think it's pure rationalisation. I read when they first went to alternating shows that some maker spend up to $1M on the Show and wanted to have one showcase event each year. I really do hope that this list is incomplete due to the slackness of the organisers, which always seems to be their trademark. I'm going midweek during the day because it's a bit of hassle from 5pm on, and I wouldn't dream of a weekend.

We don't have all the makers in our nearby our town, so this is the place to see them all in one go. So long as they're all there.

Wraith
13th October 2010, 08:27 AM
You wouldn't think so with Sept 10 being the best ever month for new cars sales. I think it's pure rationalisation. I read when they first went to alternating shows that some maker spend up to $1M on the Show and wanted to have one showcase event each year. I really do hope that this list is incomplete due to the slackness of the organisers, which always seems to be their trademark. I'm going midweek during the day because it's a bit of hassle from 5pm on, and I wouldn't dream of a weekend.

We don't have all the makers in our nearby our town, so this is the place to see them all in one go. So long as they're all there.

I'm hoping the same...

Need to go to Sydney for other business reasons, but a complete International Motor show car list would be nice for an interstate trip effort :)

MatsHolden
13th October 2010, 12:15 PM

Possibly mate, but I mean if Holden and Ford can get their act together, surely the likes of Ferrari could get something there. Maybe it is just a case of the organisers being slack and missing some off their list as mrbe said.

JohnBu
13th October 2010, 02:02 PM
They (Ferrari) prob can't justify the cost vs benefits.

If you had the means to purchase a F458 and were in the market for that type of car, you'll prob go to the dealer and test drive one... I don't think not having one in the Motorshow wouldn't reduce sales when your waiting list is a few years.

People who buy new Ferraris are repeat buyers.. Generally speaking, first time Ferrari owners generally buy second hand because they 1- can't afford a new one, or 2, can't be bothered waiting years to be on the waiting list.

This doesn't apply in China, where the rich are mega rich, and would order one at the motor show because owning one is a sign of wealth.

Anyway, I haven't been to the motor show in years.. if I was looking at a car, I'd just go to the dealer and test drive one.

Wraith
13th October 2010, 05:35 PM
They (Ferrari) prob can't justify the cost vs benefits.

If you had the means to purchase a F458 and were in the market for that type of car, you'll prob go to the dealer and test drive one... I don't think not having one in the Motorshow wouldn't reduce sales when your waiting list is a few years.

People who buy new Ferraris are repeat buyers.. Generally speaking, first time Ferrari owners generally buy second hand because they 1- can't afford a new one, or 2, can't be bothered waiting years to be on the waiting list.

This doesn't apply in China, where the rich are mega rich, and would order one at the motor show because owning one is a sign of wealth.

Anyway, I haven't been to the motor show in years.. if I was looking at a car, I'd just go to the dealer and test drive one.

Agree with the above...

But as a generalisation I'd say most peeps are going for a good sticky nose just because we're car enthusiasts and want to see all the latest/greatest irrespective of buying them or not :)

metry
13th October 2010, 07:02 PM
its good cause you can go to each brand see what they have to offer, see concept cars in the flesh and make judgements on them. like i personally enjoy looking at the ferraris there even though i cannot and probably will never be able to afford one. but as previously said the cost benefit for ferrari wouldnt be good. because it already has an established name, prestige etc shame they wont be there though. thats the best thing bout the motorshow, the fact that it has cars for every budget. one minute your looking at a hyundai getz/i20 and the next your eyeing an artwork.

Houdini
13th October 2010, 08:23 PM
the megane 250 will be there - say no more

liam
13th October 2010, 09:45 PM
Looks like Im going XD

Wraith
14th October 2010, 01:29 PM
the megane 250 will be there - say no more

woohoo great stuff, one of my favourite 'want to see' recent cars that and hopefully Alfa will show up with the new Giulietta...

Any appearance (even pics) of the new upcoming 135M Beemer would be nice too :)

GreyRex
15th October 2010, 11:31 AM
woohoo great stuff, one of my favourite 'want to see' recent cars that and hopefully Alfa will show up with the new Giulietta...

Any appearance (even pics) of the new upcoming 135M Beemer would be nice too :)

The Megane is a great looking car... especially in 'that' yellow. I honestly didn't think anything of it until I saw it in Paris. Interior's a bit so-so (the leather trimmed dash in the Gordini Clio Sport was much nicer), but the Recaros are insane - you can barely move in them, and they're set nice and low too

The Alfa Giulietta is a bit more main stream... would be interesting to see how many Golf Gti sales it might take. Like many Alfas the rear looks horn... front was ok-ish

The 135 M Sport was previewed in Paris, but not at the Motor Show... sneaky - http://www.caradvice.com.au/85989/bmw-1-series-m-coupe-reveals-more-in-paris/

Ice
15th October 2010, 11:53 AM
that 135M looks hot and its not even fully uncovered.

Milesy
15th October 2010, 08:23 PM
Looking at some of the press today it looks like a pretty uneventful show this year with nothing really all that exciting. No show cars and nothing we didn't already know about.

I agree with the comments on the Renault Megene coupe. Looks awesome and looking at the side on shots, from the B pillar back it is pure AH Astra coupe....even the lights look similar. I love it!

Wraith
16th October 2010, 10:38 AM
The Megane is a great looking car... especially in 'that' yellow. I honestly didn't think anything of it until I saw it in Paris. Interior's a bit so-so (the leather trimmed dash in the Gordini Clio Sport was much nicer), but the Recaros are insane - you can barely move in them, and they're set nice and low too

The Alfa Giulietta is a bit more main stream... would be interesting to see how many Golf Gti sales it might take. Like many Alfas the rear looks horn... front was ok-ish

The 135 M Sport was previewed in Paris, but not at the Motor Show... sneaky - http://www.caradvice.com.au/85989/bmw-1-series-m-coupe-reveals-more-in-paris/

Thanks heaps for the link Miz :)

135M breaking cover - WOW :eek6: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting to see this thing since it was 1st announced ages ago, agree with ICE just from those sneak pics it definitely is going to look HOT and have the performance and kit to match !

Pumped guards with wider track, far better front and rear end fender treatment, better rear view mirrors, quads, M specific bespoke interior, LSD ediff, 7spd DCT, at least 250kw/500nm and 'around' 0-100km/h in 4.5sec with so much more potential...aaarrrrrgggghhhhh I'm wetting my pants :o

No surprise either the RS 250 Megane looks hot always loved this thing too, if it's good in pics it's usually better in real life :)

Spewing the new Alfa Giulietta might be a no show in Sydney would've loved to eyeball it too in the metal...

Now I'm hanging out to see a white 135M in the metal :cornut:

kirssn
16th October 2010, 11:36 AM
well with the change in alternate melbourne/sydney motorshows, Shannons have pulled the plug entirely on their involvement and no longer have their biggest auction as part of the motorshow - they have permanently moved their auction because the contracts for the next 8 to 10 yrs have been written.

having said that, we actually prefer not having to travel into sydney for work any more, preferring the motorex option for our major auction.

Wraith
16th October 2010, 03:17 PM
well with the change in alternate melbourne/sydney motorshows, Shannons have pulled the plug entirely on their involvement and no longer have their biggest auction as part of the motorshow - they have permanently moved their auction because the contracts for the next 8 to 10 yrs have been written.

having said that, we actually prefer not having to travel into sydney for work any more, preferring the motorex option for our major auction.

It is unfortunate the Aust. Int. motor show will be different and lesser of an event it has always been in the past, it's one event I've been religiously going to each year...looks like that won't be the case from now on though :(

Only going to attend this one next weekend because as said I'll be there in Sydney for other reasons at that same time, otherwise I wouldn't bother travelling interstate just for that, will have to do with attending every 2nd year in Melbourne with whatever is there on show...

Houdini
18th October 2010, 10:14 PM
The Megane is as awesome in the flesh. And came in bang on the surmised budget with the sign showing $45K and change drive away. That'll stir up the Golf GTI buyers. But you know what really rocked my world.........The Range Rover Evoque:
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/438394/2030329/Images/Explore/All_Explore_L538_11MY_explore_03-420x210
2 litre Turbo 4 cylinder

liam
18th October 2010, 10:30 PM
Oh I cant wait to see that! Im going friday just about to book the tickets :)

Wraith
19th October 2010, 08:36 AM
The Megane is as awesome in the flesh. And came in bang on the surmised budget with the sign showing $45K and change drive away. That'll stir up the Golf GTI buyers. But you know what really rocked my world.........The Range Rover Evoque:
http://www.landrover.com/imagery/global/438394/2030329/Images/Explore/All_Explore_L538_11MY_explore_03-420x210
2 litre Turbo 4 cylinder

Once again couldn't agree more about the Megane...!

For what it is and what its worth, how could one go for a manual Gti vs the RS 250...

Just wish it had the option of a twin clutch trans...

Reno should be getting onto these as it would improve many of their current line up, just go and steal it all from the Nissan parts bin :D

JohnBu
19th October 2010, 10:06 AM
For what it is and what its worth, how could one go for a manual Gti vs the RS 250...

Build quality, resale, dealer network, class/perception... there's alot of older guys who own/would drive a GTI, but not a Megane.

Not many younger people can afford a new Megane.

Having said that, I'll take the Megane over the GTI.

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 11:32 AM
I will work a couple of shifts.

Wraith
19th October 2010, 12:54 PM
Build quality, resale, dealer network, class/perception... there's alot of older guys who own/would drive a GTI, but not a Megane.

Not many younger people can afford a new Megane.

Having said that, I'll take the Megane over the GTI.

Very true John, alot is based on reputation and a little bias, unfortunately as these newer model Renos really do have 'most' of the goods over their direct competition...

Even Peugoet is picking up their act and newer models are going to be significantly better, I'm hanging to closely inspect the new RCZ...just on aesthetics alone, that is one super gorgeous car !!!

I will work a couple of shifts.

To try and buy yourself a RS 250 Megane ? I say do it :D

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 01:14 PM
To try and buy yourself a RS 250 Megane ? I say do it :D

haha I will be working shifts at the show.

But yeah the RS is a great piece of french engineering

Wraith
19th October 2010, 01:19 PM
haha I will be working shifts at the show.

But yeah the RS is a great piece of french engineering

Oh, I see, might see you there then - will be there on Sunday :)

CORZZA
19th October 2010, 03:03 PM
I may be working then.

Go check out the C30 T5 R

BEK-46P
19th October 2010, 07:45 PM
I went on Sunday. Fairly disappointing, no BMW, no Ferrari. For some reason, Mazda had their entire range of boring cars...

dieselhead
19th October 2010, 08:32 PM
Very true John, alot is based on reputation and a little bias, unfortunately as these newer model Renos really do have 'most' of the goods over their direct competition...

I would defy anyone to search the forums worldwide for some reliability issues with the RS Clios for instance. The 197 model has been on the market for over 3 years now, the 200 is more than a year old now in Europe. Then go do the same excercise on Opel, Ford, BMW and what not and see what you get. My Clio was built and felt like an AK-47, meaning perfectly fit for purpose with minimum fuss. So, I'd say whoever bangs Renault Sport (don't care about Renault much myself) for reliability issues should check their facts before talking. Even in F1 Renault wins more accolades for reliability than most, ha ha!

Heh, you can tell I miss my little feisty bug... Replacement should be here by the end of the month though :)

Wraith
20th October 2010, 08:42 AM
I may be working then.

Go check out the C30 T5 R

Will do :)

I would defy anyone to search the forums worldwide for some reliability issues with the RS Clios for instance. The 197 model has been on the market for over 3 years now, the 200 is more than a year old now in Europe. Then go do the same excercise on Opel, Ford, BMW and what not and see what you get. My Clio was built and felt like an AK-47, meaning perfectly fit for purpose with minimum fuss. So, I'd say whoever bangs Renault Sport (don't care about Renault much myself) for reliability issues should check their facts before talking. Even in F1 Renault wins more accolades for reliability than most, ha ha!

Heh, you can tell I miss my little feisty bug... Replacement should be here by the end of the month though :)

Bang on Diesel, Reno have come a long way :)

JohnBu
20th October 2010, 09:50 AM

I'm only going by my research when I was cross shopping the 172 with my Astra Turbo.

The 172 had issues with the suspension strut and an engine component which made the engine go bang randomly. The 172 interior was atrocious which also faded quickly, the rubber on the steering wheel also wore very quickly and many were replaced under warranty- I can't see this improving with age.

I've seen the new 200 and they are certainly built better.

In terms of reliability with new french cars, it's like an Alfa, they may be much more reliable than in the past, but the stigma, and hence low resale value will retain- fairly or unfairly, that's the way it goes.

I suppose that good for me, if I wanted a 2 yo 200 or 250 trophee :)