PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Opel Owner and Member

mrbe
9th October 2010, 02:17 PM
In the space of 3 weeks, my wife went from seeing an AH coupe in a local dealer and saying "That looks ok", to now owning one bought from interstate. It was delivered last night by a car carrier to a dealer for the rego to be converted and a service before we drive it. She's very excited.

I used the site heaps in those 3 weeks to research what to look out for. Thanks guys. Now that we're owners, I've joined to stay in the loop.

My mum's owned a couple of Astras (the TR was a piece of sh^t that I couldn't talk her out of buying). The TS has been trouble free other than the in-built ignition barrel drama and the timing belt maintenance costs. My 90 year-old grandmother has a 2001 TS with 31K and it has been trouble-free also, but (fortunately) it gets next to no use which helps its longevity.

The announcement of Opel returning to Australia is great news. It should help with resale on all our cars and give us hope of new cars in the future.

The family car is a 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0R that we bought as a demo with 2K on the clock. It has 110K on it now and had the front diff bearing replaced last week - the joys of AWD ownership. It will get replaced in the next year or two.... a 2012 VXR AWD Insignia perhaps :)

sooty
9th October 2010, 02:23 PM
Welcome to OA mate

guy 27
9th October 2010, 02:42 PM
Welcome to OA

metry
9th October 2010, 05:25 PM
welcome to oa, 2001 astra with 31k on the clock. very nice. i bought my 2002 astra off an old lady and it had 57k on the clock and i though that was decent

CNBLU
9th October 2010, 05:47 PM
Welcome to OA, congrats on the purchase

mrbe
9th October 2010, 08:41 PM
welcome to oa, 2001 astra with 31k on the clock. very nice. i bought my 2002 astra off an old lady and it had 57k on the clock and i though that was decent
It's green with auto. Someone will buy it one day for their kid as a first car. I'd hate to think how gummed up the motor is. It still has the original tyres on it ; they'd be harder than bitumen.

mrbe
9th October 2010, 08:49 PM
Welcome to OA, congrats on the purchase
Thanks. Reeeeeally wanted a manual, but we probably won't keep this one for too long, so the auto was the best bet cos it's more appealing to P-plate drivers who haven't got their manual licence (it's a dumb NSW law that first year driver's have to do their test in a manual if they want to drive a manual car). It's MY07.5, 1st reg'd March 2008 so still has some factory rego, tinted, 22,000km, silver CDX auto for $16000 + transport & new rego. I like that it has a timing chain. Dealer is doing the 2 year service as it hasn't seen a mechanic for 12mths and then we'll get another service before the warranty expires.

metry
10th October 2010, 01:30 PM
mines auto but mainly cause dads said it had to be cause my grandma occasionally drives my car much to my distaste ofcourse

mrbe
10th October 2010, 09:15 PM
mines auto but mainly cause dads said it had to be cause my grandma occasionally drives my car much to my distaste ofcourse
Love the rims - really suit it

metry
10th October 2010, 09:58 PM
thanks mate. yours all standard?

btm
11th October 2010, 09:10 AM
congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site!

mrbe
11th October 2010, 10:22 PM
thanks mate. yours all standard?
Completely. Wife wanted a sunroof, but they're rare as. There's one going in Sydney fairly cheap on carpoint, but it's a manual. It started at $17.5K and was down to $14.5 the last I looked.