PDA

View Full Version : Iphone4 version 4.1

SSS_Hoon
7th October 2010, 06:04 PM
just wondering if anyone is using the new 4.1 update?

have read that some are having troubles with it, and not sure if i should update to it yet or not. As i recently updated the optus carrier settings and now am having troubles with it losing network coverage and 3g coverage.

SSS_Hoon

chrissn89
7th October 2010, 07:01 PM

have read that some are having troubles with it, and not sure if i should update to it yet or not. As i recently updated the optus carrier settings and now am having troubles with it losing network coverage and 3g coverage.

SSS_Hoon

My 3GS is on 4.1 and i updated the 3mobile carrier settings and my phone is getting better reception now with less signal dropouts. I say update away if your not unlocked or jailbroken

Vectracious
7th October 2010, 07:08 PM

SSS_Hoon

are you holding it the correct way so you don't get signal dropout??

here's a pic of Steve himself showing how to hold this amazing piece of tech

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/Forum%20Pics/how-to-hold-an-iphone-4-23164-1279424924-42.jpg

poita
7th October 2010, 07:11 PM
havent heard of any problems at all.

i know a few people who have done it and are fine.

greenpois0n, that is all

SSS_Hoon
7th October 2010, 07:25 PM
lol, the first 2 weeks was fine.

and its not to do with the arieal as it happens when just sitting there on the table not being held at all. will just come up saying that i have lost network, then when it comes back on its full bars again. and its only been since i went to optus 8.1 (i think it is)

read on a few forums that ppl have had it freeze and brick on them when tring to update to 4.1.

is it possible to go back down in carrier settings anyone know?

SSS_Hoon

poita
7th October 2010, 07:45 PM
very very very hard to revert to an eariler baseband

as this process was part of the jailbreaking process

Kimme
8th October 2010, 05:44 PM
I thought the carrier settings update was purely to do with daylight savings? (I'm assuming, because it happened on Sunday)

SSS_Hoon
8th October 2010, 06:06 PM
nah its not, as i got mine about 2-3 weeks ago now.

and ever since then keep getting, you have no network coverage message, lose all coverage then it comes back again.

SSS_Hoon

ROCCO
11th October 2010, 05:46 AM
Not hard to spot the Blackberry fanboi in this thread now is it?? stick with 4.1 and jailbreak using limera1n...thats what i've done...works great.

SSS_Hoon
11th October 2010, 06:24 AM
I won't be jailbreaking it lol. I'm on 4.0.2 now. From what I read 4.1 cannot be jailbroken yet. What is the benefits of it anyway, don't really wanna stuff up my warranty on it.

SSS_Hoon

btm
11th October 2010, 09:31 AM
i am on 4.1 and struggle with optus 3G access from my office in the middle of the freaking CBD!

SSS_Hoon
11th October 2010, 10:12 AM
Did u update the optus carrier settings to 8.1 I think it is? Ad that is when my 3G network coverage issues started and I not on4.1 yet.

SSS_Hoon

btm
11th October 2010, 11:39 AM
yep carrier 8.1

poita
11th October 2010, 12:53 PM
I won't be jailbreaking it lol. I'm on 4.0.2 now. From what I read 4.1 cannot be jailbroken yet. What is the benefits of it anyway, don't really wanna stuff up my warranty on it.

SSS_Hoon

limerain is the jailbreak for 4.1 as said above

SSS_Hoon
11th October 2010, 04:35 PM
8.1 sucks. Want to revert back to the 7.* I had before. Cannot see a way to do it though.

As for limerain yeah I searched and figured it out, last I checked greenpoison was going to be the biz. But now delayed. I won't be doing it anyway, not for at least 12 months anyway when the warranty is up.

SSS_Hoon

ROCCO
11th October 2010, 05:30 PM

SSS_Hoon

You read wrong:

http://www.limera1n.com/

Snotty
11th October 2010, 07:10 PM
howcome no one here has mentioned the alarm problem.
the sunday daylight savings came in the alarm didnt work at all.
then from monday the time would be right (ie 6:30am) and the alrm would be set for 6:30 but the alarm would go off at 5:30 an hour early.

took me a couple of days to realise it was doing it - i thought i was dreaming it!

poita
11th October 2010, 07:18 PM
has nothing to do with 4.1

mines still on 3.1.3 and done that

Snotty
11th October 2010, 08:05 PM
Ive never had the problem before and all news websites/forums i checked seem to suggest this problem is only new.

Gus
12th October 2010, 08:53 AM
me and the mrs have had the daylight savings alarm prob with iphone 4 and 3gs both running 4.1.whens the fix coming for this? 4.2?
i have also noticed since the carrier update that the 3G signal on my 3gs drops out ocassionally for no reason, I'm with 3 and never had this problem before where i live.

poita
12th October 2010, 08:56 AM
as said above, i have the daylight savings issue and have 3.1.3

and its not just iPhone, it was all smart phones affected

people here at work all got done (yay for working in a nerd store) N97 Mini, Samsung Galaxy, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 all had the problem

btm
12th October 2010, 08:56 AM
me and the mrs have had the daylight savings alarm prob with iphone 4 and 3gs both running 4.1.whens the fix coming for this? 4.2?
i have also noticed since the carrier update that the 3G signal on my 3gs drops out ocassionally for no reason, I'm with 3 and never had this problem before where i live.
yep, i'm getting the alarm and 3G signal problem too!

2002_XC
12th October 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm running 4.1 and not having any issues

AfterBurner
12th October 2010, 10:13 AM
A friend of mine complained to no end re 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 F/W..

Apparently 4.1 has been fixed... for Signal... Read here (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/detailed-analysis-of-iphone-4-signal-strength-dropoff/) for details...

Im running 3.1.3 (soon to Limera1n 4.1) no alarm problem with mine... Maybe only affects the other states... :prrr:

lee
12th October 2010, 10:42 AM
The alarm thing is a bug relating to the way iOS deals with daylight savings time. It only affects recurring alarms; once-only alarms aren't affected.

AfterBurner
12th October 2010, 10:45 AM
Mine goes off same time every day...

lee
12th October 2010, 10:49 AM
Did you set your alarm to go off every morning before DST came in?

poita
12th October 2010, 10:52 AM
A friend of mine complained to no end re 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 F/W..

Apparently 4.1 has been fixed... for Signal... Read here (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/detailed-analysis-of-iphone-4-signal-strength-dropoff/) for details...

Im running 3.1.3 (soon to Limera1n 4.1) no alarm problem with mine... Maybe only affects the other states... :prrr:

3G or 3GS ?

chrissn89
12th October 2010, 11:01 AM
I just did the Limera1n JB to 4.1, seems to be working. Now to buy all those apps.

AfterBurner
12th October 2010, 11:31 AM
3g or 3gs ?

3gs

AfterBurner
12th October 2010, 11:32 AM
Did you set your alarm to go off every morning before DST came in?

Sure did, been using it for months, otherwise I'd b late 2 work
everyday. :)

poita
12th October 2010, 11:33 AM
damn you, was half asleep last night and farked my 3G

didnt read the very bottom fine print saying its not supported.

now have 4.1 and no jb :( makes me a sad panda

lee
12th October 2010, 12:07 PM
Sure did, been using it for months, otherwise I'd b late 2 work
everyday. :)

That'll be the problem. Apple forgot that some places in the world have daylight savings time. Try creating a new recurring alarm for the right time :)

Snotty
12th October 2010, 08:20 PM
my alarm still has the problem after i did a full factory reset and i started from scratch - i have just set my alarm for an hour later. im scared that one day its going to fix itself and it'll go off an hour late.
i did the full restore because i couldnt get any data to download over 3G/gprs. wifi was fine. which is also a common problem

lee
12th October 2010, 10:02 PM
my alarm still has the problem after i did a full factory reset and i started from scratch

I've heard rumours that Apple are about to release a patch for this issue. Maybe for the meantime, try setting a once-off alarm. That seems to work fine for me

btm
13th October 2010, 07:43 AM
yeah, the once off alarm works fine, its just the reoccurring alarm with the problem. to make sure it doesnt just fix itself on me, i set a reoccurring one an hour later than normal, and also a once off at the right time... better to be safe than late!

AfterBurner
13th October 2010, 07:44 AM
***YAY... GREENPOISON has been officially released...***

For my brother Jailbreakers... WILL do IOS4.1 etc...

btm
13th October 2010, 08:11 AM
iphone n00b... what is greenpoison??

Neeko
13th October 2010, 01:25 PM
updated the iphone last year for the first time in a year today :)
from 3.0.1 to 4.1!!

Tried out limera1n but didnt change a thing. Just gave Greenpois0n a go and looks promising!
Restarting now.

..... Works!! Woot

jastra
13th October 2010, 05:47 PM
how do you update the carrier settings?

poita
13th October 2010, 07:04 PM
dont

i lost 2 bars of reception with mine

SSS_Hoon
13th October 2010, 08:20 PM
Carrier settings are sent over the air or via iTunes. Check for updates on iTunes if there is one available it will show up. I kept getting SMS type messages saying new carrier settings do u want to download. And everytime I went on iTunes same thing. Finally gave in an updated now I wish I hadn't. I been looking for a way to revert to old one but no luck.

SSS_Hoon

poita
13th October 2010, 08:25 PM
i found a way to revert back to them.

had to restore teh phone to a previous backup

then decline when it asks if you want to update

jastra
13th October 2010, 08:52 PM
Hmm I'm thinking it may have already done it without asking cuz I don't remember it and it's not asking and my Internet is really shit on my phone...

poita
14th October 2010, 09:43 AM
finally got it to work, just had to use a pc with xp installed

worked first go

AfterBurner
14th October 2010, 09:44 AM
Happy dayz...

Neeko
15th October 2010, 11:55 AM
Found the best 2 apps yet on Cydia. Don't come cheap but are (to me) worth spending the money on.

PWNTOOL - Allows you to use your iPhone as a normal USB stick. Upload Pics,Videos and Music by simple drag and drop without the need for synchronising. The second you access you pics or ipod it'll update the media library and work straight away.

iRealSMS - Just a replacement for the default messaging app on the iphone. Gives you a million more useful features like being able to send, reply or call while your in any app, even the lockscreen. Can even read out txts while your driving and your listening to the music playing on your iphone.

Both are available for free trial atm.