PDA

View Full Version : Racing - Car Setup

Ooie
6th October 2010, 04:14 PM
Hey Guys,

So after spending the weekend with a couple of mates down at Wakefield, I have decided to get into a bit of track racing myself.

Obviously im looking at time attack sessions on tarmac tracks, so I wanted to get some insight from those of you who have done a bit of racing as to what sort of mods I should do and in what order?

I would prefer to get the car handling right before I go chasing more power so...

Tyres, bracing, suspension mods.. Give me ideas please.

ChrisMaz
6th October 2010, 05:03 PM
Eibach pro-kit Springs.
Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks
KU31 Kumho ecsta sports

Thats what I'm running, has improved my boats performance on the track a shite load.

For the Astra, I'd say whiteline Rear anti-roll bar. Shocks Koni (yellow adjustable) /Bilsteins (B8's) and Eibach springs. And take your pick from all the decently priced performance tyres that are around. Oh and LSD if you've got money to pour into the car.

I'm sure the Astra guys will give you more specifics.

gman
6th October 2010, 05:32 PM
Off the top of my head and excluding engine mods, for an Astra G I would do the folloowing:

Tyres: R compounds if you can afford them. Falken Azenis, Toyo R888's, Federal 595's on spare rims

Brakes: QFM A1RM's or at a minimum HPX pads from GSLRALLYSPORT. Good brake fluid and braided lines if the budget allows and slotted rotors can help as well. Do not get drilled IMHO, as they can crack and fail badly.

Suspension: Rear sway bar, Koni or Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs at a minimum. From there the other Whiteline suspension gear such as caster bushes, rear camber plates and front Swaybar links. IMHO, I would not do the front swaybar itself as you'll get more understeer in a G. You can also get other bushes for the front arms from Powerflex in the UK.

Misc: Front Strutbrace, Powerflex engine mount insert, a 4 point harness (makes a huge differnece being held firm in the seat), fuel pump (always in any car) and never run less than 1/3 tank to avoid fuel surge, heat is a killer so if you have extractors wrap them in heat wrap, good oil and an oil temp and pressure gauge, oil catch can if you hve a crank case breather to stop oil contamintion of the intake.

Ooie
6th October 2010, 09:20 PM
Cheers Gman.

Tyres will be my first point of call.
Looking to get a second set of rims and fit tyres to them.

What size/offset do you recommend?
I'm guessing sticking with a 17" would be best, but 17x?

gman
6th October 2010, 09:43 PM
17 x 7's for a 205 to 225 width tyre...