PDA

View Full Version : OMG OMG OPEL to come back to Aus with FULL lineup!!

MitchSRi
1st October 2010, 09:38 AM
Source: http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-shock-astra-back-to-oz-20101001-15zp0.html (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-shock-astra-back-to-oz-20101001-15zp0.html)

GM's German brand plans an Aussie invasion - including a return of the Astra small car.
Holden is set to face an enemy within after General Motors' European arm, Opel, said it was planning to bring a full range of its models to the Australian market.

The production version of Opel's stunning GTC Paris (http://news.drive.com.au/paris-2010) concept car is expected to be one of the vehicles that forms part of an Australian Opel line-up if the German auto giant successfully completes plans to enter the local market.

The GTC previews the Astra coupe, which will go on-sale in Europe late 2011, and could be in a showroom near you in 2012.

Opel chairman Nick Reilly said the plan was for a full line-up of Opel models from the mini-Meriva people-mover to the Ampera plug-in hybrid to be offered to the Australian public.

There has been speculation Opel would enter the Australian market since GM decided to hold on to the brand rather than sell it off as part of its bankruptcy plans. Reilly said he hoped to have a deal finalised and announced this year with sales commencing toward the end of 2011.

"I am optimistic we will re-enter the Australian market," Reilly told Drive. "We are putting some fine details to it, we want to do it right because we want to be there for the long term.

"We have to finalise distribution and the model range, but the intention is the complete product portfolio."

Various Opel models have been previously sold as Holdens in Australia, but they have been gradually replaced by GM-Daewoo product from Korea. While cheaper to source, the Korean cars also brought with them a significant technical and quality drop.

Reilly, however, denied that coming to Australia would tempt away disillusioned Holden small car buyers. He nominated Volkswagen as Opel's logical, key rival, in terms of premium image and pricing.

He said the Astra - once a big seller for Holden - would be Opel's most popular model here.

"Opel is well known in Australia, it's a German brand, it's got German heritage with German engineering, people value that and we have got some great looking cars. We are not there to compete with Holden, we are there to compete with other imports."

Reilly would not be drawn on the details of Opel's Australian distribution plan and how closely it would be related to Holden.

"It is a completely different brand and it would be a separate business," is all he would say.

Reilly is driving Opel's international expansion as it strives to regain profitability in the post-bankruptcy GM world. It has also recently announced export deals to Israel and Chile.

The GTC is a very accurate depiction of the Astra coupe (actually a three-door hatch), with only a few motor show flourishes such as 21-inch wheels.

The show car was powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged, direct injection four-cylinder engine producing 213kW and driving the front wheels via a six-speed manual transmission.

The chassis has also come in for treatment with wider tracks, an updated version of Opel's mechatronic FlexRide suspension and a limited slip diff.

Opel chief designer Mark Adams said the GTC was "the most sporty and dynamic interpretation of Opel's design language yet".

"With this car we wanted to create the most emotional Opel."

The other reveal on the Opel stand was an Astra Sports Tourer station wagon, boasting up to 1550 litres of carrying space.

Poll: Would you consider an Opel instead of a Holden?
Yes, the German cars will be better than those Holdens built in Korea.
74%
Yes, but only if the Opel cars are not comparatively expensive. 21%
No, I'd prefer my car to wear a Holden badge. 2%
No, I'm not familiar with the Opel brand. 3%

AWESOME News!!!! bring it on Opel!!

poita
1st October 2010, 09:45 AM
WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yes im excited

JohnBu
1st October 2010, 09:53 AM
that would be interesting.. I'm still unsure why GMH doesn't import them.

The Insignias were used in the Amazing Race episide laste night.

Calibrated
1st October 2010, 10:00 AM
verrrry niiiice. i liiiike :D

Feelinlucky75
1st October 2010, 10:02 AM
Just melted at the description of the GTC :D

poita
1st October 2010, 10:02 AM
that would be interesting.. I'm still unsure why GMH doesn't import them.

The Insignias were used in the Amazing Race episide laste night.

Cause it's cheaper to source Daewoos

btm
1st October 2010, 10:06 AM
looks like it will actually happen!

gman
1st October 2010, 10:16 AM
In the SMH too:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-shock-astra-back-to-oz-20101001-15zp0.html

poita
1st October 2010, 10:32 AM
In the SMH too:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-shock-astra-back-to-oz-20101001-15zp0.html

lol open both links, only difference is the logo at the top left

hazrd
1st October 2010, 10:38 AM
This is good news for OpelAus too ;)

HoldenAstra
1st October 2010, 10:55 AM
good good good...............

gman
1st October 2010, 10:55 AM
lol open both links, only difference is the logo at the top left

I know, but I can't bear to read a Melbourne based paper ;)

Definitely!!!

btm
1st October 2010, 10:59 AM
can we start dreaming yet?

http://com.opel-microsites.com/opc/

JohnBu
1st October 2010, 11:23 AM
Cause it's cheaper to source Daewoos

I suppose money talks...

poita
1st October 2010, 11:33 AM
can we start dreaming yet?

http://com.opel-microsites.com/opc/

painfully slow to load

ChrisMaz
1st October 2010, 11:36 AM
Interesting results with the poll at the bottom. Seems the majority of readers have some basic knowledge of Opel.

metry
1st October 2010, 11:59 AM
itd be sweet if we got OPCs

gman
1st October 2010, 12:00 PM
I suppose money talks...

And bullsh*t walks.... ;)

Wraith
1st October 2010, 12:05 PM
WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yes im excited

Oh yeah +1

I want an AJ GTC :thumbs:

CNBLU
1st October 2010, 01:32 PM
Me thinks I should start saving for a new vxr :)

Jerram
1st October 2010, 01:36 PM
or an OPC Insignia. I wonder what the pricing will be though.

mind you though - for us tuners and modifyers out there - if they prove to be popular, we'll see an abundance of selected spares come onto the market at good prices when they start getting written off. (eg. High Feature V6 engines, wheels etc.)

gmonkey
1st October 2010, 03:12 PM

how do i buy shares??

poita
1st October 2010, 03:14 PM
how do i buy shares??

you cant buy them, you have to earn them

1 share for every worthwhile post you've made on the forum.
so will be giving out like 5 shares maybe

gmonkey
1st October 2010, 03:18 PM
5/4566

yeh that does sound about right..

poita
1st October 2010, 03:22 PM
i meant forum wide :p

delemonte
1st October 2010, 05:01 PM
Exciting stuff! :)

lol... :p

PrincessPeachey
1st October 2010, 05:57 PM
Hell yeahhhhhhh!

hazrd
1st October 2010, 06:06 PM
you cant buy them, you have to earn them

so u would get none? :p

adam_92
1st October 2010, 06:07 PM
i really hope this does happen... now to modify and rebuild the gsi or start saving for a new opel... lol

tomtom
1st October 2010, 07:21 PM
I just read and was about to come and post!!!

:D:D:D:D

gmonkey
1st October 2010, 07:43 PM
im applying for a sales person job as soon as i hear of dealerships being setup :)

GTA900
1st October 2010, 08:24 PM
im applying for a sales person job as soon as i hear of dealerships being setup :)
Yeah +1

Me too : )

mmahle
1st October 2010, 08:28 PM
Awesome news!!!!!
When they come out next year, I'll order a GTC thankkkss!!

metry
1st October 2010, 11:40 PM
now im torn. evo or gtc. decisions

Vectracious
2nd October 2010, 12:27 AM
will have a serious look at the Insignia when the lease on the Passat is up...

ChrisMaz
2nd October 2010, 12:29 AM
OPC sports tourer you must buy ;)

Vectracious
2nd October 2010, 12:38 AM
yeah, dont mind the wagon, but IMHO the sedan looks better. But will prob get another wagon again coz of the kid(s) and the business - had to transport about 50 packets of toilet paper between stores the other day..... :rolleyes:

ChrisMaz
2nd October 2010, 12:42 AM
Agreed on the sedan. But both look stunning. I imagine the boot capacity would be almost the same as the passat.

gmonkey
2nd October 2010, 01:11 AM
id be going wagon... after seeing it in the metal i dont like the rear tail-lights on the insignia look very hyundia/kia .. the wagon wouldnt id imagine :p

poita
2nd October 2010, 05:57 PM
yeah, dont mind the wagon, but IMHO the sedan looks better. But will prob get another wagon again coz of the kid(s) and the business - had to transport about 50 packets of toilet paper between stores the other day..... :rolleyes:

you need two for the business right?

Jeenous
2nd October 2010, 08:37 PM
elasticity = 80 to 120kl/h in 7.1seconds??? surely not so slow..???

GreyRex
3rd October 2010, 06:09 AM
Well... I just spent the day at the Paris Motor Show & I can honestly say the current/new Opel line-up is pretty impressive. Sat in... played with... touched every model. The Insignia OPC (to me) was a BIG surprise... Audi build quality, great Recaros. Was there in a black wagon
Took waaaay too many pics

Feelinlucky75
3rd October 2010, 10:25 AM
Well... I just spent the day at the Paris Motor Show & I can honestly say the current/new Opel line-up is pretty impressive. Sat in... played with... touched every model. The Insignia OPC (to me) was a BIG surprise... Audi build quality, great Recaros. Was there in a black wagon

And where are they???? upload please :D

Vectracious
3rd October 2010, 04:31 PM

Nice one - love Paris - and even better - going at a time when the motorshow is on!!! Enjoy the holidays Ben and make sure you post some pics up when you get home :D

Vectracious
3rd October 2010, 04:32 PM
you need two for the business right?

only if I had to carry 100 packets of toilet paper :p

xplosv57
3rd October 2010, 07:58 PM
yay for Opel coming to Aus, hopefully my resale value goes up cos i got opel badges on my Astra.........

personally wouldn't buy one, but if i was given a choice, id take the Insignia VXR!!

dieselhead
3rd October 2010, 09:57 PM
Damn, why isn't Opel already here? I said it before, if VW can shift Polos and Golfs at premium prices, surely Opel can sell some Corsas and Astras. Or they could do what Renault does and bring only top shelf VXR spec cars.
I would have seriously considered buying the new Astra VXR a few moths ago. Problem is, after driving the Clio RS 200 for a few moths simply no other car would do handling wise :)

Good to see hot hatch competition is about to get even hotter. We all win in the end!

SIMid
3rd October 2010, 10:58 PM
We all win in the end!

+1

Hoss
4th October 2010, 02:57 PM
Thank God for Opel. The GTC looks a sweet thing