PDA

View Full Version : Valet parkers - idiots!

BEK-46P
28th September 2010, 11:36 AM
This proves that placing any amount of trust in so-called valet parkers can be a dangerous thing:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/IMG00078-20100927-1444.jpg

They clipped the front bar. Fortunately, they're happy to pick up the tab, at the expense of me shopping for two quotes :prrr:

Scrapped all the way to the glass, is this an entire respray or just a local buff?

btm
28th September 2010, 12:12 PM
surprised they even accepted responsibility!

BEK-46P
28th September 2010, 12:20 PM
Only after a 24 four investigation! WTF?!

btm
28th September 2010, 12:21 PM
must be on cctv somewhere?

metry
28th September 2010, 12:30 PM
my mate used to work for a vallet parking company. he reckons they treet the cars like shit. when no ones looking of course

btm
28th September 2010, 12:39 PM
http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/28/winnipegjoyride.jpg (http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/28/winnipegjoyride.jpg)

BEK-46P
28th September 2010, 12:47 PM
http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/28/winnipegjoyride.jpg (http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/28/winnipegjoyride.jpg)

lol!!!!

JohnBu
28th September 2010, 01:06 PM
my mate used to work for a vallet parking company. he reckons they treet the cars like shit. when no ones looking of course

I expect nothing else... Still, I use them sometimes. I hope they crash mine into a wall and write it off.

Wraith
28th September 2010, 01:13 PM
I would NEVER even think of passing any of my cars over to a vallet parking person of any kind at any place !!!

I've rocked up to several places where they vallet park for you and if they havn't let me park and retrieve it myself, I've left and gone elsewhere !!! that's it no questions about it...

I suppose for people who couldn't care less or have a car that's worth wrecking or it's a company car then fair enough...

metry
28th September 2010, 01:30 PM
I expect nothing else... Still, I use them sometimes. I hope they crash mine into a wall and write it off.

hahahaha. i wouldnt trust them. my car would go in and the wheels would come out with more scratches on them

hazrd
28th September 2010, 02:25 PM
I would NEVER even think of passing any of my cars over to a vallet parking person of any kind at any place !!!

I've rocked up to several places where they vallet park for you and if they havn't let me park and retrieve it myself, I've left and gone elsewhere !!! that's it no questions about it...

I suppose for people who couldn't care less or have a car that's worth wrecking or it's a company car then fair enough...

+1

i stayed at a hotel in QLD for work where the parking was valet only. luckily i was in a rental car because the way i saw him drive it off and up the ramp scared the crap out of me, and it wasnt even my car!!

ChrisMaz
28th September 2010, 02:42 PM
Valet parkers are still less dodgy than some of the stories I've heard from Mechanics and panel beaters taking performance cars for a "test"

gmonkey
28th September 2010, 02:47 PM
Valet parkers are still less dodgy than some of the stories I've heard from Mechanics and panel beaters taking performance cars for a "test"

like a certain yellow lambo?

ChrisMaz
28th September 2010, 02:49 PM
like a certain yellow lambo?

Not just that. I'd rather have someone speed in my car than be dropping skids around balcatta...

delemonte
28th September 2010, 02:55 PM

True that.. Especially workshop apprentices taking the cars out!

MAD-16V
28th September 2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSGb0YDsrU

maloo97
28th September 2010, 05:56 PM
My experence with talon bars, if you scrap it all the way through to the glass and repaint, you will always see where it was and will later on down the track crack even more. Best bet is to take it back to them at kirrawee and get them to sort you out with the best options, specially if your not paying for it.

steinmetz
28th September 2010, 06:23 PM
I made the mistake of pulling into a car park once in a hurry that was valet only and caved in due to time constraints and handed over my keys.

I can tell you, the next hour was absolute torture thinking of all the nasty things I would do to my nice car, if I were in their shoes.

In the end I left my meeting early and went back and retrieved the car around 2 hours earlier than what I told them to expect and parked it elsewhere, after giving it a thorough going over first.

Fortunately nothing was wrong.......Won't make that mistake ever again.

But as stated, I have just as much apprehension handing over the keys to a mechanic and or a panel beater...It's one of those things where you really need to "know" someone to get it done without the customary rape that comes along with having a nice automobile serviced.

They may as well add it in on the work sheet instead of "road test"

should read....."rape test conducted......passed"

poita
28th September 2010, 06:27 PM
I think I've said about this before

A guy sent his highly worked XR6T Ute into a local dealership/mechanics to have some warranty repairs done.

He had a data logging gps unit fitted to the car that they where unaware of.

When he got it back he checked it, had been redlined from 1st-4th gear and was doing over 160 in a 60 zone.

A few people lost there jobs and he now has a lot over them.

Never took it to the police, he could of ****ed them hard if he wanted

metry
28th September 2010, 08:40 PM
my mechanic takes me with him. he lets me service my car. well he sits next to me as i do everything

delemonte
28th September 2010, 11:21 PM
Makes me shiver...

JohnBu
29th September 2010, 09:53 AM
my mechanic takes me with him. he lets me service my car. well he sits next to me as i do everything

win/win for the mechanic... doesn't have to get dirty & will get paid more as you will inevitably take longer than he will. if charged by the hour.

JR
29th September 2010, 10:59 AM
i've seen my front bumper smashed into the kerbside, right infront of my very own eyes!!
was getting new tyres fitted at a bridgestone tyreshop, while i waited at the reception lounge. job done, they drove the car out to do some checks, then came back to park out the front of the reception. ofcourse the tool didn't care about the car's low bumper & the high kerb - literally drove the bumper into it!! thank goodness my bumper is abs plastic - it simply flexed out of shape. however in the process, it snapped off the mountings in the wheel arches, & there were 2 slits under the lower front (on the inside).
at first they denied it, but when i took them outside & showed them damage, they reluctantly agreed to get it plastic welded.

btm
29th September 2010, 12:08 PM
so many dodgy people out there!

adam_92
29th September 2010, 12:26 PM
not all mechanics thrash the customers cars. i agree there are a LOT of them that do but im an apprentice mechanic on my p's and iv never abused a customers car. it might look as though we are abusing them sometimes when on roadtests but there are some things that we have to do to check wheel bearings for example. we are suppost to jerk the car left and right on the road and then that looks like were dicking around and swerving all over the road haha...

chrissn89
29th September 2010, 01:56 PM
I have a friend that works at an auto electrics. When they fix or do work to an ABS unit they have to do a road test. They head out of town and drive half on the road/Tarmac and half on the grass/gravel, and have to do an emergency stop. This tests out the ABS and to make sure its working on all four channels it must be done twice on both sides. Yes you could test it via the OBD2 port but, a real life test is always better, as we know computers do not always tell the truth.

scaifeys2.2mk4
29th September 2010, 04:12 PM
those guys actually did a good job of not hitting anything

liam
29th September 2010, 04:17 PM
There was a guy on AON that had a road angel car camera fitted that the mechanics apparently didnt see.

In the 'road test' the mechanics took the car out and did burnouts ect ect absolutely abusing the poor car. He got home viewed the footage and forced the dealers to buy his car (At a stupidly high price) and get him a very very good deal on a brand new car he was after anyway.

And a few heads got removed

mr corsa
30th September 2010, 12:10 PM
and the moral of this story if you let a idiot drive your car then your the idiot aswell!

lee
13th October 2010, 11:36 PM
I have a friend that works at an auto electrics. When they fix or do work to an ABS unit they have to do a road test. They head out of town and drive half on the road/Tarmac and half on the grass/gravel, and have to do an emergency stop. This tests out the ABS and to make sure its working on all four channels it must be done twice on both sides. Yes you could test it via the OBD2 port but, a real life test is always better, as we know computers do not always tell the truth.
That's fair enough; it'd be crap to find out they don't work when you need them the most. But the idea of someone unnecessarily thrashing my car behind my back makes me nervous...

kirssn
15th October 2010, 09:25 AM
not all mechanics thrash the customers cars. i agree there are a LOT of them that do but im an apprentice mechanic on my p's and iv never abused a customers car. it might look as though we are abusing them sometimes when on roadtests but there are some things that we have to do to check wheel bearings for example. we are suppost to jerk the car left and right on the road and then that looks like were dicking around and swerving all over the road haha...

apprentice mechanics shouldn't be road testing vehicles full stop.

metry
15th October 2010, 10:28 AM
apprentice mechanics shouldn't be road testing vehicles full stop.

i agree to a certain extent. because unless they do it themselvs how will they learn? i think that the mechanic should go with the apprentice so their not on their own in the car