PDA

View Full Version : its been 3months after i tryed to use 98 octane fuel and....

dmrmgl
23rd September 2010, 10:04 PM
i think its only the feeling of what im thinking but

engine noise is much smoother and quiet than before(when i used nomal ulp)

so i now am little worried about to return using nomal ulp.

hmmmmmmmm

think im addicted on 98 octane.

hazrd
23rd September 2010, 10:06 PM
well 98 octane burns cleaner and is much better for your engine.......

Vectracious
23rd September 2010, 10:10 PM
try a tank of normal ULP and see what happens. Your car is designed to run on it anyway so you won't damage anything - although your "seat of the pants meter" will have you convinced that normal ULP is shit and you have to go back to Premium ;)

hazrd
23rd September 2010, 10:14 PM
on the note of premium... the 98 was 1.36 at shell and safeway tonight... went over to the BP and paid 1.25 :l33t:

ChrisMaz
23rd September 2010, 10:20 PM
You guys got united in the east? Been using their 98 for the past few months. Excellent stuff and only 1.22 today.

Vectracious
23rd September 2010, 10:21 PM
on the note of premium... the 98 was 1.36 at shell and safeway tonight... went over to the BP and paid 1.25 :l33t:

grrr, paid 1.43 today - and was on Reserve - so it was $88.88 all up!!!

hazrd
23rd September 2010, 11:09 PM
grrr, paid 1.43 today - and was on Reserve - so it was $88.88 all up!!!

yeah i saw it was 1.29 for regular at a servo off warrigul road over east tonight, what gives!!

and my 45L tank only cost me $38 :)
from 1/4 though lol

Vectracious
23rd September 2010, 11:12 PM
yeah i saw it was 1.29 for regular at a servo off warrigul road over east tonight, what gives!!

and my 45L tank only cost me $38 :)
from 1/4 though lol

dunno - it is Thursday though - should have filled up yesterday....

metry
23rd September 2010, 11:54 PM
filled up both the astra and the lancer (well dad did) two days ago for 1.25 at mobil. weve only ever used 98 in the lancer since new. idk if its a mind over matter thing with performance but the only reason we run it is cause its cleaner. this girl once tried to convince me e10 cleans your engine... yeh right

Wraith
24th September 2010, 12:16 PM
i think its only the feeling of what im thinking but

engine noise is much smoother and quiet than before(when i used nomal ulp)

so i now am little worried about to return using nomal ulp.

hmmmmmmmm

think im addicted on 98 octane.

What you've described is the norm for most (but not all) cars that will run any 98 vs any regular unleaded...

There's got to be some difference or how else would the petro chem companies charge such a huge difference in price between the two and consumers be so willing to pay for it...

gman
24th September 2010, 02:52 PM
You guys got united in the east? Been using their 98 for the past few months. Excellent stuff and only 1.22 today.

Yep...I try to always use the Boost 98 or Premium 100 from United when it available. There is one near where I live that has Boost98 and one on the way to my mechanic that has the Premium100.

For an independant, I prefer it over any of the standard stations.

nuggz
24th September 2010, 02:56 PM
Yep...I try to always use the Boost 98 or Premium 100 from United when it available. There is one near where I live that has Boost98 and one on the way to my mechanic that has the Premium100.

For an independant, I prefer it over any of the standard stations.

really?
i've already strayed away from the independants for fear of them mixing stuff into the fuel
have i been wrong?

gman
24th September 2010, 04:20 PM
United is a small (read not Caltex/Shell/BP) independant fuel distribution company that uses good fuel stock and CSR ethanol for its bio-fuels.

The actual "independants" i'd be wary of but United is Number 1 on my fuel pick list. The Boost98 and Premium100 are excellent fuels and definitly make a difference.

nuggz
24th September 2010, 04:42 PM
United is a small (read not Caltex/Shell/BP) independant fuel distribution company that uses good fuel stock and CSR ethanol for its bio-fuels.

The actual "independants" i'd be wary of but United is Number 1 on my fuel pick list. The Boost98 and Premium100 are excellent fuels and definitly make a difference.

Very very interesting
i might give it a shot

HoldenAstra
24th September 2010, 05:05 PM
Not all #98 have the same quality!

Which brand do you trust? Shell,BP?Was there an investigation on TodayTonight a few months ago?

I just use V Power all the time.

sooty
24th September 2010, 06:23 PM
Not all #98 have the same quality!

Which brand do you trust? Shell,BP?Was there an investigation on TodayTonight a few months ago?

I just use V Power all the time.

there's about 400,000 threads on this forum regarding which fuel people use, have a quick search and you'll find them, we don't need another one :)

HoldenAstra
24th September 2010, 08:55 PM
haha............
never mind

Vectracious
24th September 2010, 11:11 PM
What you've described is the norm for most (but not all) cars that will run any 98 vs any regular unleaded...

There's got to be some difference or how else would the petro chem companies charge such a huge difference in price between the two and consumers be so willing to pay for it...

There is a difference in the fuel - whether it's worth 13c/L in a car designed to run on 91RON is debatable.

Jeenous
25th September 2010, 11:14 PM
i run the cali on 98 and if i run std fuel it chews it and doesnt rev out very well but the chips are meant to have 98 fuel.
i find bp is the best with caltex a solid 2nd. V Power is good but i find the quality must vary because my ltrs/100klm changes to do the same trips.

vectra_
26th September 2010, 02:54 PM
in general i fill it up with vpower 98 but yesterday i filled up with shell 95, and there was a huge difference between them...

rjastra
28th September 2010, 01:27 PM
in general i fill it up with vpower 98 but yesterday i filled up with shell 95, and there was a huge difference between them...

Oh really ;) I find that hard to believe

tomtom
28th September 2010, 07:54 PM
i use caltex day to day. because i shop at woolworths hehe...

:)

I'm pretty sure someone posted an article about the different octanes of fuel that pointed how using 98 on a car designed to run 91/95 is a waste as the octane refers to the fuel's resistance to compression... so if your car (lets just make a scale up here out of 10...) is rated to compress the fuel up to 2/10... but you put in fuel that can resist compression of 9/10....that aint gonna do anything but burn your wallet unless you can make your motor compress the fuel more before igniting (which i'm guessing would result in more power).

I've never put 98 in my car only 95 (as recommended by the user manual for better performance).

*shrug*

droodles
29th September 2010, 06:19 PM
Is it ok to have half a tank of 91 fuel and then fill up the rest with 95/98? Or would that explode?

sooty
29th September 2010, 06:24 PM
Is it ok to have half a tank of 91 fuel and then fill up the rest with 95/98? Or would that explode?
that's fine mate

droodles
29th September 2010, 07:21 PM
that's fine mate

oh good, cause I thought about trying out higher octane fuel but I thought I'd have to drive the car till the tank was near empty and then fill it up LOL

hazrd
29th September 2010, 07:37 PM
i use caltex day to day. because i shop at woolworths hehe...

:)

I'm pretty sure someone posted an article about the different octanes of fuel that pointed how using 98 on a car designed to run 91/95 is a waste as the octane refers to the fuel's resistance to compression... so if your car (lets just make a scale up here out of 10...) is rated to compress the fuel up to 2/10... but you put in fuel that can resist compression of 9/10....that aint gonna do anything but burn your wallet unless you can make your motor compress the fuel more before igniting (which i'm guessing would result in more power).

I've never put 98 in my car only 95 (as recommended by the user manual for better performance).

*shrug*

Woolies staff discount everytime I fill up FTW

I can tell u though Tom, we always put 98 in our 2.2, ur right u don't notice the performance, but I tell u what, we put 95 in it a few weeks back, and lost about 40 odd kms of fuel consumption!!!

jlgu
3rd October 2010, 11:57 AM
I found that you notice the performance and consumption difference, only when you drive the car hard. noise level does drop significantly when higher octane fuel is used

droodles
22nd October 2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah...after going from 91 to BP 95 I've noticed the economy has been a lot worse. I filled it up on Wednesday and the needle has already moved down quite a notch, it's a bit past the white line on the fuel gauge.

lee
26th October 2010, 12:42 AM
In my stock TS 1.8 Astra, I don't notice a massive difference between 98 and 95, but if I use 91, i get about 30ks less out of the tank . If your car is modified at all, higher octane fuel is a must.

ChrisMaz
26th October 2010, 12:53 AM
I'll be using 91 from now on. I want it nice and loud :lol:

tomtom
26th October 2010, 10:18 AM
Woolies staff discount everytime I fill up FTW

I can tell u though Tom, we always put 98 in our 2.2, ur right u don't notice the performance, but I tell u what, we put 95 in it a few weeks back, and lost about 40 odd kms of fuel consumption!!!

I bought all my groceries yesterday on purpose in hopes of racking up some nice points to get a fuel discount. When i checked out, I realized I left my card at home. FML.