PDA

View Full Version : Does a Pod Filter void your warranty

Bingo
21st September 2010, 03:58 PM
I still got around a yer of warranty and I want to install a pod replacing the stock engine can I do so without voiding egine warranty and stuff

Nurb608
21st September 2010, 04:18 PM
Will depend what goes wrong with your motor. If it can be linked to the pod filter, like a MAF sensor etc, then yes, it will be void.

Ooie
22nd September 2010, 02:28 PM
Aside from being illegal if they are not enclosed, as above they will only void your warranty if they contribute to the failure of another (associated) part.

On a side note... I used to love having a pod filter on my car.. until I realised how detrimental it was to my fuel economy!

On my Astra I was getting 12+ l/100km with the pod (heavy city driving) with the pod. Once I went back to the stock airbox I was suddenly getting 10l/100km with the same driving.

Nurb608
22nd September 2010, 04:43 PM
Aside from being illegal if they are not enclosed, as above they will only void your warranty if they contribute to the failure of another (associated) part.

No need for them to be enclosed on a fuel injected car, well in vic anyway, so long as they are a dry element type.

DIXIE
22nd September 2010, 04:49 PM
^^ indeed

plus the likelihood of a pod filter causing your entire engine to blow up (im trying to think of a worst case scenario that you'd claim under warranty) is pretty slim

i say do it if u want to.. it might use a bit more fuel, but they sure do sound good

Ooie
22nd September 2010, 04:50 PM
No need for them to be enclosed on a fuel injected car, well in vic anyway, so long as they are a dry element type.

Dont quote me, but AFAIK in NSW they need to be enclosed and/or have heat shielding.
Not to mention I'm pretty sure cops in NSW wouldnt bother about the disctinction between dry cotton vs other types

poita
22nd September 2010, 04:51 PM
in qld has to be enclosed too

Nurb608
22nd September 2010, 04:56 PM
Dont quote me, but AFAIK in NSW they need to be enclosed and/or have heat shielding.
Not to mention I'm pretty sure cops in NSW wouldnt bother about the disctinction between dry cotton vs other types

Quite possibly, i only know the Vic regs. We can't have an aftermarket intercooler and a pod filter together here, one or the other. Not that anyone pays attention to that, lol.

I'll try and find the WA regulations on them for the OP

EDIT: too hard basket, where's Chris or Shay? Pretty sure drys are ok in WA as well.

Shay
22nd September 2010, 07:59 PM
WA has the least strict rules of any state...
Any pod wet, or dry (i have put my car over the pits with an oiled K&N pod) is fine as long as its fixed. (and doesnt even need to be fixed that well to keep them happy)
Doesnt need to be heat shielded or anything, but its pointless to not shield...

And as Rory said, its only gonna void your warranty if it is the cause of the damage. Which is nearly impossible.

delemonte
22nd September 2010, 10:25 PM

I thought it just had to be fixed in place... but I could be wrong

poita
22nd September 2010, 10:41 PM
I thought it just had to be fixed in place... but I could be wrong

well as with everything the interwebz is an amazing place

have about 1000 different ideas about the law.

looked up the qld transport website, the document i found is from 1998, so not exactly current.

might contact them tomorrow

Shay
23rd September 2010, 01:44 AM
just say its enclosed... in the engine bay..... :lol:

actually that might not work for you pete, with that big hole :lol:x2

liam
23rd September 2010, 07:25 AM
In NSW filters must be enclosed to prevent fire hazard.

I didnt notice any major fuel change, initially I did but I think that was more me being easily excited and heavy on the rev's as I had turned my hairdryer into a grumbly V8 :P

Bingo
24th September 2010, 06:48 PM
Haha I just got the pod, but I have no way to install it cause I dont know anything about anyway when im going to get it serviced just put the stock back in haha.