PDA

View Full Version : Dr Karl does Drag Cars!

poita
20th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Part One

I have never really understood drag cars - until recently, when I actually got a chance to have a decent look at them. To the uninitiated outsider, they look like a poorly-assembled pile of crap. The reality is very different.
It all began on my Triple J Show radio show when, in answer to some question about acceleration, I made some comment about how the "Funny Cars" could accelerate really fast, and get up to a few hundred kilometres within 10 seconds. Very quickly, while I was still on air, I got a few emails telling me how I was underestimating the cars. Later, I got an email inviting me to come out to see the drags at the Western Sydney International Dragway.
There are many categories of drag cars, but the most impressive are the so-called "Top Fuellers". They're the ones with the supercharged 500 cubic inch Hemi engines, huge 36"Goodyear slicks at the back, and skinny bike wheels at the front. When they take off, they become the fastest-accelerating piloted vehicles known to the human race. They generate 5G on take-off - and 7G in slowing down, if both parachutes are deployed at the same time. In a decent start, by the time the back wheels get to where the front wheels were, they're already doing 100 kph. In less than 5 seconds, they are travelling at half the speed of sound - about 500 kph. My lame estimate of "within 10 seconds" was very weak.
There is so much acceleration, and so little weight on the front wheels that they don't steer the Fueller by touching the ground - they steer it by behaving like a rudder in the wind! In fact, the front wheels are a few centimetres off the ground for the first 60 metres. This helps transfer the weight to the back for better traction - but it does make steering at lower speeds (when the wind velocity is still low) a lot more difficult.
The back tyres cannot stick properly to the ground until they have been warmed up. So the very impressive crowd-pleasing burnout before each car does a run is not just to look good - it's essential. The marshalls lay down some water in front of the starting area. The cars blip the accelerator as they pass through the water, pop the driving wheels loose, and continue spinning as they slowly trundle up the launch pad, with huge billowing clouds of light blue smoke coming off the tyres. Then they stop, and with the aid of a guide in front of them, reverse as closely as possible along the track of the rubber that they laid down on the launch pad. The huge back tyres run at about 4 psi - and it's the 9.5 mm of tread that have to be heated, cleaned, and softened to the consistency of chewing gum by the burnout. This heat/clean/soften treatment gives them huge grip. The tyres will survive only 4 - 6 runs - a little over 3 km. That's a lot worse than the mileage you would expect from the tyres on your car.

As the tyres scrabble for grip at take-off, the massive centrifugal force makes them simultaneously taller and skinnier - the tread width shrinks from 18" to about half of that. In fact, during the take-off, the inside of the tyres gets ahead of the outside - so the sidewalls wrinkle. The inner diameter of the tyres is held fast to the rim of the wheel by a "beadlock", which holds it tightly to stop it from spinning on the rim. Occasionally, the colossal 6,000 HP doesn't get fed smoothly down the drive train through the tyres onto the track - and then the tyres can shake with up to 21G of violent lateral harmonic vibration. In this case, the Fueller can be wrecked, and the driver forced unconscious.
Normally, the take-off pad (roughly the size of a tennis court) is made from bitumen laid on concrete, while the rest of the track is made from concrete. So there is a join between the bitumen and the concrete. In the early days, somebody noticed that a dip was developing at the front of the track, at the same rate that a little hill of bitumen was growing at the back. The forces generated on take-off by the increasingly-powerful Fuellers was enough to force the heavy bitumen/concrete launch pad backwards!
The marshals at the take-off line are very obsessive about the condition of the track. It has to have the right amount of rubber on it - and definitely no oil. If an engine blows up and spills oil on the track, everything has to stop until the oil is cleaned up.
Nothing happens without the engine, and I'll talk about that next time...

http://www.drkarl.com/the-karl-collection/karl-in-the-car/drag-cars-part-1

poita
20th September 2010, 03:25 PM
Part Two

The whole Drag Car thingie is quite amazing - both to the senses, and to the brain. For example, by the time the back wheels get to where the front wheels were, a Top Fueller is doing about 100 kph. A few seconds later, it's doing half the speed of sound. It gets to 160 kph in less than 0.8 seconds - about 11 seconds faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo. Along the way, between 0.5 and 0.7 seconds, the Top Fueller shoves the driver/pilot into the seat with 8Gs of force - so an 80 kg driver suddenly "weighs" about 640 kg. That 8Gs of acceleration is about 5Gs more than the astronauts suffer in a Space Shuttle launch. In fact, a Top Fueller would have to be the fastest accelerating piloted vehicle ever built.

This all happens thanks to the mighty engine. The engine's layout is "based" on the old (but great) Chrysler 426 Hemi engine. It was called a "hemi", because it had a hemispherical combustion chamber, which had advantages in getting the raw fuel and air into the chamber, and in dumping the burnt products of combustion out. Today's Top Fuellers share the Hemi's arrangement of 8 cylinders in a 90o V-configuration, and the relatively low-tech two valves per cylinder, pushed by pushrods running off the low-mounted camshaft.
There are three major differences to the engine, to get it to deliver some 6,000 horsepower (about 4,500 kW).
First, the engine is built from scratch, with people making their own crankshafts, pistons, etc. The parts are super-duper in their metallurgy, and have clever design tricks. For example, 6,000 HP will actually twist the crankshaft by about 20o. So the designer can grind the cam lobes offset from the front to the rear, to bring the actually valve timing close to what it should be.
Second, to give a little boost, the Top Fuellers can open the engine up a little to 500 cubic inches. That's about 8.19 litres.
Third, to give a really big boost, a huge supercharger stuffs the air/fuel aerosol into the engine. This blower is so big that it takes the horsepower of a regular 426 Hemi just to run it. It rams about 3,000 cubic feet (about 85,000 litres) of air/fuel into the engine each minute. That is such a huge volume being shoved in over such a short period of time that it is almost liquid (from the pressure). The cylinders run on the edge of "hydraulic lock". In fact, if a spark plug fails too early, the unburnt liquid fuel will build up so quickly inside the cylinder that it will explode the cylinder head, or explode the engine block into pieces. The engines have catch-belts and Kevlar carpets to stop the flying parts from hitting the driver or spectators.

Actually, the spark plugs usually fail about halfway into a 5-second pass. They are totally consumed. To get them to fire, while they are almost drown in a sea/mist of fuel and air, each spark plug is fed with enough current to run an arc welder - 44 amps. The current comes from huge dual magnetos, the size of small buckets. So why don't an engine explode when the spark plugs are eaten? After a few seconds, the engine is so hot that it is "dieseling" from both the stored heat/compression, and from the red-hot glowing exhaust valves (about 760oC).
Of course, the engines wouldn't run on something simple and cheap like petrol. Petrol is a mixture of various hydrocarbons. These hydrocarbons are chemicals, each made up of a string of carbon atoms joined together, and surrounded by hydrogen atoms. In petrol, the carbon chains range from 4 to 12 carbon atoms. There are no oxygen atoms in the chains. If you want to burn petrol, you have to add oxygen in the ratio of 14.7 parts of oxygen to one part of petrol.
But Top Fuellers run on 90% nitromethane (CH3NO2), and 10% methanol. Notice that the nitromethane ($38 per litre) carries two oxygen atoms in each molecule. So you need less oxygen from outside to burn it - 1.7 parts of oxygen. The flame front burns at around 3,900oC. Nitromethane burns slowly, so the timing is set at about 50oBTDC (Before Top Dead Centre) as compared to 5-10oBTDC in your street car. The fuel doesn't all get burnt inside the engine, which accounts for the flames squirting out of the exhaust pipes.
To get that 6,000 HP, there's one more factor - horrendous amounts of fuel. The Top Fuellers burn fuel faster than a 747 Jumbo jet - about 3-40 litres per second. They would empty your car's fuel tank in 20 seconds.
But then you have to get that power down to the ground, and that's what I'll write about next time...

http://www.drkarl.com/the-karl-collection/karl-in-the-car/drag-cars-part-2

poita
20th September 2010, 03:25 PM
Part Three

Getting a Top Fueller Drag Car off the line is very difficult. The driver has no fancy computer technology to help him or her.
By the way, one of the attractions of getting into the sport as a family is that you know where the kids are on a Saturday night - they're in the garage, helping rebuilt the car. And depending on the family, and each person's skills, just about anybody in the family could be the driver. There is a computer in the car, but its job is only to gather data. There is no computer helping the driver.
Just as another aside, part of the reason that a crim-kiddie can sometimes outrun the cops, even though the cops have a lot more training, is that their car is equipped with all kinds of fancy electronics, such as Electronic Stability Control. When an amateur driver is pushing one of the modern hot cars really quickly, they don't see that inside the computers, all kinds of circuits are working the brakes and transmission really hard to stop the car from spinning out. But when they do finally go out of control, they are usually travelling stupidly fast - which is why they suffer such horrible injuries as the car smashes into the landscape, or an innocent bystander's vehicle.
But the drag car drivers have no such electronic assist. They do have a (relatively primitive) mechanical computer in the clutch, to help them get off the line. Drag racing is an expensive hobby. If nothing blows up, and all you to do is the essential rebuilds and maintenance, a single run will cost you $1,000 per second - $5,000 is typical. So there's a lot of pressure on everybody to make sure that when it's time for the car to do a run, that it actually does the run, and doesn't waste everybody's time, hard work and money.
They're trying to put down 6,000 HP through the gearbox, clutch and tyres onto the road. The enormous tyres do absorb some of the shock by wrinkling up on take-off - but there's a limit to what they can do. The gearbox is nothing like a regular car gearbox - all it has is forward and reverse. The clutch is the key.
The clutch is a centrifugal clutch, that locks up in some 20-or-so separate pre-adjusted stages. These stages are set up by the mechanic on the day, to suit the driver, car, weather, track etc. A wrongly-set up clutch can easily lose a run. The clutch gets to be fully locked up about two-thirds of the way down the track. The clutch gets really hot in a few seconds, reaching temperatures up to 1,000oC. And of course, to protect the bystanders, race officials and driver, the clutch is inside a "bullet-proof" clutch "can".

The tyres don't generate full grip until they're warmed up. That's why part of the ritual of every Top Fueller run is to run over a puddle of water just in front of the drag strip, and pop the tyres loose so that they spin up a huge cloud of white smoke. As they spin, the tyres get hot enough to grip properly. Then the driver stops (say) 50 metres up the strip, and a crew member guides them backwards, hopefully exactly along the same hot rubber strips that they laid down a few seconds earlier. And then they do the Christmas-tree traffic-lights amber-green thingie and vanish down the strip.
I was lucky enough to be invited to stand in Shrapnel Alley. Right between where the cars take off are two one-metre high walls of very thick concrete, about one metre apart. If an engine blows up, I was supposed to dive down between the protective concrete wall (as if!) and watch the shrapnel whistle overhead.
One at a time, each drag car would slowly barrel past me, spitting flames from the exhaust and covering me in white rubber smoke. They burnt so much fuel, that the exhaust gases would physically push me over away from them. Then they'd reverse back and set themselves up for the actual run - which was always a complete surprise to my senses.
Of course, I had earplugs in each ear, and covered my ears with my hands - but still the sound made my chest reverberate like a beaten drug. The blast of the sound was very physical - there was no room for thinking or analysing. That's me in the hot pink Barbie shirt on the right of the photo, covering my ears as the tremendous torque of the engine lifts the front wheels off the ground and twists the body.
When I got home, the family asked what all the hundreds of black spots on my face were. It took me a while to work out that they were bits of tyre rubber smoke that had condensed into black particles all over my face.

http://www.drkarl.com/the-karl-collection/karl-in-the-car/drag-cars-part-3

gman
20th September 2010, 04:12 PM
Drag cars are an amazing example of physics in practice....

Physics Professors in the 60's said that Top Fuel dragrace cars would never go faster than 9 seconds, when this was broken it was 7 seconds....A NASA scientist did the maths and said they are the bumble bee of the automotive world as they just simply shouldn't be as fast as they are as the maths just doesn't add up. They even looked at the effect the exhaust gases exiting the engine had in adding extra downforce to the chassis increasing grip!!!

It turns out that most of the extra "time" is in the tires and the effect of stiction, which makes all the difference and is almost impossible to correctly account for or calculate.

Drag tyres (wrinkle walls) that "grow" under load and effectively store energy by winding up and releasing it as the car moves down the track make a huge differnece in the way the torque is transferred to the surface, while the tyre compound and effect of stiction in the tyre increase the effective co-efficient of frition in the tyre beyond what the outright number should be...

All that aside, love Dr Karl and his way of looking at things... :)

poita
20th September 2010, 04:21 PM
They even looked at the effect the exhaust gases exiting the engine had in adding extra downforce to the chassis increasing grip!!!

Funny you mention that.

Was watching the drags on OneHD the other night, and this came up.

Some of the teams are experimenting with exhausts that come out at different angles to add propulsion from the exhaust

They reckon with the right development they think another .5sec can be taken off the times, if not more

kabel
20th September 2010, 09:26 PM
Good stuff !

Wraith
21st September 2010, 08:40 AM
Can absolutely relate to the above article...

Was heavily involved myself in amateur drag racing in my younger days to the point it almost consumed me until I got out, it is a totally intoxicating and addictive thing not to mention massively expensive, could only imagine the experience of pro top fuelers...

I'm a big fan of and watch the new free to air TV stations which regularly show the all the top drag racing of all the top categories :)