PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Dip Mk5 Rims (Black)

PS88
14th September 2010, 11:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WS14Jnyf5Q

Thinking of getting this done to my Front AH Grille.

Wraith
14th September 2010, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm, I'd want to be totally sure of the fact that - that coating will last before applying it to any of my rims or other exterior car parts...

Alot of pressure pack stuff you get over the counter isn't as good as getting it done professionally when it comes to exterior/heavy duty wear and tear paint/coating jobs...

As for the result not a fan myself, the original machined finish on those Golf rims looked 10x nicer in the 1st place :skep:

hazrd
14th September 2010, 05:57 PM
looks good

doing it to ur grille is less risky too, because with wheels, u could risk missing spots or not coating one wheel the same so it could turn out crap

jastra
14th September 2010, 06:35 PM
looks good! i would do that lolif you f it up you could always gett it off couldnt you?

liam
14th September 2010, 06:58 PM
Its really good stuff, 95% of the guys over at CLUBCJ lancer forums have sprayed their front end bits with this stuff (the bit between the grills to make it look more sporty)

PS88
14th September 2010, 07:08 PM
Yes if u fked up you can Rip it off. My next project to my Astra Grill ..

hazrd
14th September 2010, 07:20 PM
Definitely looking fwd to the pics :)

MAD-16V
14th September 2010, 08:12 PM
Pick up a set of pliers - You know that plastic stuff that's on the handle - That's what this stuff is.

We used to sell it at work - You can buy it in tins aswell and "dip" tools or whatever in it.

jastra
14th September 2010, 10:01 PM
Pick up a set of pliers - You know that plastic stuff that's on the handle - That's what this stuff is.

We used to sell it at work - You can buy it in tins aswell and "dip" tools or whatever in it.
so its quite thick then???

MAD-16V
14th September 2010, 10:57 PM
Depends on how it's applied - Spraying it in a few coats would still be quite thin.

When you use it as a dip you "dip" the item a few times to build it up to the desired level.

I don't really see how it would last very long on a set of wheels - You would really need to sand the surface of the wheel down so its quite rough to give the dip something to adhere to , Otherwise its like pouring wax onto a smooth surface - Eventually air will get under it and it will begin to peel or bubble.

liam
15th September 2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah I cant see why you wouldnt instead spray them black, unless the owner wanted the ability to peel it all off

Wraith
15th September 2010, 12:47 PM
Depends on how it's applied - Spraying it in a few coats would still be quite thin.

When you use it as a dip you "dip" the item a few times to build it up to the desired level.

I don't really see how it would last very long on a set of wheels - You would really need to sand the surface of the wheel down so its quite rough to give the dip something to adhere to , Otherwise its like pouring wax onto a smooth surface - Eventually air will get under it and it will begin to peel or bubble.

Interesting, that's exactly what my concern was in the 1st place - therefore not worth considering it for car rims applications...

Would work well on bits like the Lancer front bar as mentioned above though...

adam_92
15th September 2010, 12:59 PM
could look good on the right parts but i personally think he just ruined them rims

PS88
15th September 2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, that's why i am going to spray my Grille

skulless
14th January 2011, 05:06 PM
Is ebay the only place you can get this item? Shipping is so expensive given the dangerous item category, can we source it locally in brisbane?