PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about the New Astra?

extralarge
17th October 2004, 06:16 PM
New astra - bold styling and vastly improved interior.

Performance has been lost to all rivals - incl. mazda3, corolla, 1 series, 147, new golf, new audi a3. all achive 9.1 or below 0-100... astra is 9.7

audi a3's engine is the best of them all...

the standard engine size has been raised to 2.0l in this class. why the new astra a 1.8... they need to develop a new 2.0 or use a lightened version of the 2.2...

or properly tune the 1.8 - mazda new mx-5 has a tuned 1.8 delivering 118kw and healthy torque...

share your thoughts guys. as an astra owner i would like to see the astra succeed.

imad4u
17th October 2004, 07:44 PM
from the short drive i had... my view was it was under powered...

AndiesRefuge
17th October 2004, 07:52 PM
I've been dissapointed that they've removed all the features which made it such a good car.. and it really is a nofrills car now. I'm dissapointed. so i will be collecting my SV6 shortly

rjastra
17th October 2004, 10:16 PM
properly tune the 1.8 - mazda new mx-5 has a tuned 1.8 delivering 118kw and healthy torque

Actually its 107kw and 167Nm... hardly earth shattering....

I've been dissapointed that they've removed all the features which made it such a good car..

Like?????

sri22m
18th October 2004, 10:17 AM
What I saw at the motor show didn't inspire me to change cars.
I will a drive at the next Holden day at Oran Park on th 17th, and will let you know.

I did like the Ford Fesita ST, 2.0l. hmmm

OPC
18th October 2004, 10:58 AM
same here... the body is ok but the interior and console set up is shamefull :bang:

i dont think i would buy one even if it was turboed and producing 180kw

extralarge
18th October 2004, 11:12 AM
Actually its 107kw and 167Nm... hardly earth shattering....

sorry i may be wrong, but drive.com.au has an article on it. read up its 118kw for a 1.8l engine. bottom line is that anything over 100kw for a 1.8 is a good achievement.

the new astra is 1270kg with a 1.8L engine. the others with a 2.0L engine - incl. golf, bmw 1, 147 are all only 1250kg and with newer engines, more power, and reasonable weight are good competition to the new astra.

Seus
18th October 2004, 12:22 PM
could that be the new turbo mx5?

i can't understand why its slower
i thought they made up for the slight weight increase by lower gearing

and what did they take out of it?

rjastra
18th October 2004, 05:30 PM
orry i may be wrong, but drive.com.au has an article on it. read up its 118kw for a 1.8l engine.

The MX5 engine got "re-specified" for the 2003 MY and a drop in power was noted. In actual fact teh MX5 never ever made the claimed power figure of 113kw (not 118kw).

Now, if you actually drove one (which i have) you would seriously doubt that it even had 107kw. A seriously crap engine.

As for comparing the 1.8L Astra to the Alfa and Golf... so what? The GOlf that compares to the majority of the Astra range (on price and spec) is the piddly 1.6L 75 kw Golf. The 2L FSI version is priced up and past the Astra CDXi at $30K.

The Alfa 147 is a $36K+ car.

In its price range the Astra will have compariable performance to its major competitors.

tinter
30th October 2004, 10:13 PM
I don't like the rear tail light cluster...in particular the frosty opaque bit.
Rob.

dug74
31st October 2004, 12:17 AM
Well these are only the first lot of astra....they have been out in Europe for over a year now...so how about you all wait and see what else holden may be importing.

You may see some more sporty models/turbo model...with bigger engines, bodykits and panaramic windscreens ;)

I personally dont like it....but i have my mind set on a MY06/7 Corsa D Sri-T :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
31st October 2004, 11:55 AM
I see they're flogging the shit out of it on TV and print. "Astra la vista" seems like a catchy phrase however cheesy :P

Alfonzo
31st October 2004, 12:36 PM
Went and checked it out yesterday.

I'd absolutely love one! Such a lot of car for such a little price tag!

JasonGilholme
31st October 2004, 01:56 PM
"Astra la vista" seems like a catchy phrase however cheesy

Sounds Catchy..... IF I ever beat an astra in my corsa I'll be sayin that one :lol:

I personally dont like it....but i have my mind set on a MY06/7 Corsa D Sri-T

I'll be hangin for one of those ones too.

fob_sri
31st October 2004, 06:34 PM
I think the new Astra loses 2kw (so its back down to 90kw) due to having to meet EURO4 emissions? So that doesn't help, and it's heavier too...

Have you seen the 3 door though. That's a smart machine, they had it on Top Gear 24/10/04 and it looked pretty cool. They also tested the Monaro and loved it....

Also don't forget that the 1.8 is one of the larger engines available for the Astra, which seems to start at 1.4l AFAIK. Now that would be scary!

But I agree the 1.8 needs an overhaul, when compared to the variable valve timing engines from Japan (and even Korea). Not that I would want to see a Corolla engine in an Astra. Many of those engines don't have much power lower down, which at least the good ol GM 1.8 has ;)

As for the new Astra, I like it except for the rear light cluster. yuk. everything else, including interior is good. Well ok the front lights are a bit "me too" but everything else ;) But I couldn't see a temperature guage on the dashboard?

Just needs maybe a light turbo 2l, that would be nice, around 115-120kw.

joe
31st October 2004, 09:13 PM
stuff the new astra gimme the new vectra CDXI 3.2 hehe awsome car

Jass
1st November 2004, 08:01 AM
Dont like them, the Corolla, new astra and mazda 3 all look the same to me :screwy:

entice
1st November 2004, 10:29 AM
orry i may be wrong, but drive.com.au has an article on it. read up its 118kw for a 1.8l engine.

The MX5 engine got "re-specified" for the 2003 MY and a drop in power was noted. In actual fact teh MX5 never ever made the claimed power figure of 113kw (not 118kw).

Now, if you actually drove one (which i have) you would seriously doubt that it even had 107kw. A seriously crap engine.

As for comparing the 1.8L Astra to the Alfa and Golf... so what? The GOlf that compares to the majority of the Astra range (on price and spec) is the piddly 1.6L 75 kw Golf. The 2L FSI version is priced up and past the Astra CDXi at $30K.

The Alfa 147 is a $36K+ car.

In its price range the Astra will have compariable performance to its major competitors.

Rjastra...
I think you may have been in a 1.6L MX5..I used to own a 99 MX5 and had it for 4 years...way past the time the accountant had told me ..."it's time to go..." MX5 makes used of every bit of its available KW's, and has significantly better response and in gear tractability c.f. astra. Why did I hold onto it for so long? faultless car, lots of fun, makes use of every bit of its features.

Now, onto the new car...
How is it possible to argue with 6 airbags at 30K pricepoint? Sure it's been stripped of ESP and EBD, but most owners wouldnt have the faintest idea of where and when they come into play. the new interior quality and feel, and the central info headunit more than make up for the omissions. Get used to that central command centre, cos it's here to stay and the centre of infotainment and other things to come (eg sat nav that we sadly dont get here even as an option).
In short, I love the new Astra.. far better than the old one in every respect other than drivetrain..and that is only a matter of time. It's only sad that I couldnt convince my wife to go for it, rather than the drop top....

oh well, maybe in 2 years time we'll both get what we want...

CJB
6th November 2004, 01:30 PM
I think they are ugly, and the older astra's were much better... and that's just going by appearance. and, it looks like a slightly larger Corsa D... or the Corsa D looks like a smaller Astra... I don't like how they did that too... it like how Mitsubishi seemed to standardise their headlights for the Lancer and Magna... yuk

rjastra
6th November 2004, 06:29 PM
Rjastra...
I think you may have been in a 1.6L MX5..I used to own a 99 MX5 and had it for 4 yea

I have had long drives (multiple times) in a 1.6 NA, 1.8 NA, 1.8 NB8B and an SP.

The engine is a boat anchor (except the SP). It's heavy and breathless.
Even devout MX5 owners agree that the engine is the week link in the car.

astra_city
6th November 2004, 10:04 PM
1.8 MX5 isn't the best engine but it wasn't tooo bad performance. We owned a 99 mx5 a few years back now, which I unfortunately never got the chance to drive, but that beat commodore's falcons pretty easily.
But of course the main thing with them is the handling!

With the new astra, I think it's a good car. I don't feel in anyway like my model is an inferior car however - probably less refined inside and NVH - but the handling wouldn't be a whole lot better and it's slower, which are the two things that are important to me. Still, I'm guessing it'd be a more accomplished car and hopefully it sells well against the mazda 3 and 'rolla.

NUTTTR
7th November 2004, 12:56 AM
The new 1.8 is listed as 90kw, it's not, they made it 90 on normal unleaded.... it still does 92 on premium......
We've got one coming in 2 weeks (Fiancee's car) we ordered it, deposited... Silver in colour with flaps, mats, tints, etc :) Good price too, only the CD model so nothing exciting, but that stupid front grill needs to GO and it needs colour coding and the stereo!!!
To be honest, it's not the fastest car on the road but is VERY driveable, as in, a/c on, 3 people in the car and you don't notice it, it still goes ok!!! 3/4 people in the old astra with a/c made it slow... The gearing (final drive) has changed to 3.9 i think which is ok, means it's easier to drive and still feels very powerful.. (for a heavy car with a 1.8L!) however the car is substantially quieter inside than the astra g.... sure, i have an exhaust, mags and stereo, but the H is seriously quiet inside compared to the G... I was surprised!!! The stock suspension feels nicer too, not as bouncy (like when you go over a speed bump in the astra g you bounce then usually bottom out on the second bounce!) this has much nicer stock suspension... Handles well (well, ok i guess for stock) on 15" steelies it comes with (mags will be on the list too!!)...
Personally, not 100% a fan.... the basic model's seats are much nicer to sit in... it does bring the car into another class and a good advancement from the G!! However, i love my G SRi and i very much doubt i'd trade my car for one at any time!
Aaron
P.S. rear visability out of the astra H for lane changing, etc is worse than the 3 door g with the big spoiler! makes it hard to park :(

Tom76
7th November 2004, 01:58 AM
I think the new Astra offers a very good value for your money, but it's really a shame that the best feature about it, seemingly isn't available over there - the IDS+ chassis.

A comparision between the Astra, Audi A3, BMW 1 and a few other cars had the Astra as winner, because the chassis (IDS+) is on par with the BMW 1 (driving characterics are quite similar), despite the Astra being a front-wheel-drive. And it's WAY cheaper than the BMW.

I also like how the steering gets more direct and the pedal gets more responsive when the IDS+ mode is activated. And overall the car gets so stiff that it barely bends when cornering. It's really a blast to drive.

Compared to this the normal Astra (which hasn't a bad chassis either), drives like a ship on rough sea.

I didn't own an Astra G with an improved chassis, but people who did claim that the Astra H IDS+ can be compared to an Astra G with a 60/40 chassis.

blackSRi
7th November 2004, 03:45 AM
I am quite disappointed with the new Astra, mainly with the high price tag and lack of IDS+ and/or factory-lowered suspension, and no 2.2L.
(Although climate control, curtain airbags, 6 stack CD and trip computer are great, don't get me wrong).
I have to replace my leased SRi in the next 6 months and the fact there's no 3 door model now is a pain (bar the covertible). In my book the expensive CDXi 1.8L 5-door H ($30,383.50 RRP* + on-road costs* - I incl mudflaps in the price) is not a good replacement in my book.
I mean I have to pay same price as my SRi - probably more (than fleet price for a SRi or even a SRiT) and lose my handling, lowered suspension, 2.2L motor, full size alloy spare and stock mudflaps.
Losing those don't make up for the cabin 'fruit' unfortunately, the 'drive' is why I got an SRi back in 2002 - the traction and torque is great in the 2.2 and 2.0T - shame they aren't replaced with a model with a slightly bigger motor. If Ford (Focus) and even Peugeot have models with 2.0L and good kW, why can't Opel/GMH?

I wish now I had got an SRiT back in June this year as the story from Holden is no firm map for 3 door models, maybe Oct 2005 for 3 door (don't know if it is a turbo or just a 3 door).
Anyway, it's difficult to get a 3 door in any other model with similar standard features like ABS to the SRi, everything close is over $30K. Shame I must say bye-bye to my SRi.

NUTTTR
7th November 2004, 10:09 AM
The CDXi can't be compared to the SRi, it's the current cdx equivalent.... and it's cheaper than the old version......
The sri 2.2L didn't come out the same time as the first astra either i believe... the SRi didn't come out till 2001!!! The Astra G was released in 1998!!! That's 3 years too, it's not any different to the last lot. Even if the SRi was coming in 5 months and you seemed keen on the CDXi, would the dealer try and move you a cdxi or tell you to wait for the sri? he'd try and move current stock! That said we got what i would consider an excellent price on the CD (pm me if you want to know what, i don't want to announce it :)) right after it's release.... I'm sure others could do better, but it's just been released and it's a good deal :)

The current astra's only compare to the 1.8 G's, not the turbos or the SRi's....

I'm confused why you'd compare the new astra to the ford focus... The 2L motor is nothing at all (in my books!) to brag about because the astra 1.8L is much nicer to drive! However we have gone and tested the corolla, focus (previously), sat in the golf (didn't like the design), lancer (same old thing), had a look at the others too, but nothing was quite the same as the astra... Features, driveability, interior that doesn't look like it's molded from the cheapest plastics they could buy from a plastic factory that closed down, etc :) Thats why i went with my SRi and the Fiancee went with the new CD...

Tom76
7th November 2004, 10:24 AM
Well there's a 2.0 with 125kw/170PS and a 2.0 Turbo with 147kw/200PS available over here (plus some great, state-of-the-art Diesel engines :mrgreen: ), so maybe they come over there later (when the 3-door is introduced?).

blackSRi
7th November 2004, 07:41 PM
You are right Nuttr, the 3 door Sri and CD were released at large mutli-year gaps between models - but for Holden/Opel to drop the upspeccd engines (and the whole G lineup) without a replacement for about a year is a bit harsh (I mean why not carry them forward for another year or so until the 3door H is available)?
Also, why could they not release a new SRi with the new H line-up? - missed sales in my book.
I compared the Astra H to the other vehicles simply on motor size and kW/Nm - the 1.8 H motor doesn't cut it for me.

In terms of interior, I have sat in the BMW1, mini, golf, 2.0 focus, mazda3 and Citroen c2 and renault megane sport and peugeot 180 Gti, and the BMW car interiors were great - but I would expect so for the $$$!
None compared to the quality of the Astra H interior for the price (maybe the Megane -it was at least as solid as the H).
But on motor they were all better.
Drivablility is to be determined - I haven't driven the H but on all account not having the IDS when it is offered OS is not so hot in the 5 door. Also, why not offer a 2.2L or T in the Astra H now, rather than wait to later? I am sure the demand is there, just like the demand for the 5 door.
If I want a flashy looking car without the performance I will go for the 5door H, otherwise I will likely now pick either a Focus or Mazda3 or a Peugeot. I took my mates 2.2 Vectra and the CD 1.8 Auto and both were not as sharp and were slightly underpowered for me.

NUTTTR
7th November 2004, 09:42 PM
Unfortunately, o/s they do have all the varients, it's just holden here decided we didn't want them... Unfortunately for us :(
They probably will miss sales, but this car is going to be a family car eventually so that's part (major) of the choice... We don't need to run our kids (one day) to school @ 100km's an hour luckily :)

rjastra
7th November 2004, 10:08 PM
There is no 2.2L version o/s... just the turbo versions. The vast majority have the 1.8 or lesser capcaity variants.

rjastra
7th November 2004, 10:15 PM
Shame I must say bye-bye to my SRi.

ummm, extend the lease... no reason to let it go is there?

NUTTTR
7th November 2004, 10:29 PM
There is no 2.2L version o/s... just the turbo versions. The vast majority have the 1.8 or lesser capcaity variants.
Damn :(

01CDsedan
8th November 2004, 10:37 AM
I had a quick drive of an AH CDX at a dealer last weekend and will be having a longer drive at the Drive Day next week, but here's some thoughts.

The best part of this car is the interior - miles ahead of the old one. Everything feels good, looks good, and works well. The seats are better too.

The exterior looks much better in real life than it ever could in pictures.

The performance is about the same - more weight, but a taller diff ratio to counter that. Unfortunately it means fuel economy will be worse.

On-road feel is pretty similar, except the AH has significantly better steering. More direct, and the much nicer, smaller new steering wheel helps with that too. Handling seems about the same.

I don't think it would be worth trading up from a TS Astra for - in my case, I got quoted $14k as a tradein for mine and I couldn't justify spending that much again for a car that is a bit better but not heaps better - but if you were looking for something in the small car class you'd definitely consider it.

NUTTTR
8th November 2004, 10:50 AM
Surprisingly (according to several dealers) there's a huge amount of orders going in for astra h's with g trade-ins.... aparantly people have been waiting for this new model and they all want to trade up? Dunno!

Anonymous
8th November 2004, 06:29 PM
NUTTER ive tried to pm you but it wont work can you pm me the deal you got on the astra thanks

blackSRi
8th November 2004, 06:51 PM
rjastra, no reason yet no, but I wanted to change over to a new Astra in Jan.
I can only extend my lease for 6 months more (Jan - June 2004) 3 years is my max. I may extend now in Dec but I will have to replace one pair of tyres at least as they weren't included originally on the 2 yr lease and are worn (=$$$).

Nuttr - it's like the T, a few people traded up to the T from the SRi (wish I had done so now - didn't know how soon the T would be dropped).

twinky
8th November 2004, 10:07 PM
I can't get over how huge those headlights are.

Spewin they didn't retain the shape of the G hatchback. I love the arse of it.

Anonymous
9th November 2004, 08:36 AM
yea just about the only hatch that didnt look like a hatch! :P thats what i love about the G

Hotty_Smurf
10th November 2004, 09:09 PM
does the new astras come in the sedan shape? and also what do you think of HBD body kit?

BassyAstra
10th November 2004, 11:28 PM
If you talking about this http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modelaccessories?aid=20641&&modelid=26001&bitmask=1

It looks alright.
How about those 18"s for 2g.

NUTTTR
10th November 2004, 11:30 PM
wow, for 1K that bodykit is cheap!

BassyAstra
10th November 2004, 11:40 PM
too rite! im gonna get it! (when i get some cash) :oops:

NUTTTR
10th November 2004, 11:44 PM
I might buy it for my fiancee's car, she'd hate me for doing it, but it'll make the car look classy...... It needs mags too :(

Anonymous
10th November 2004, 11:59 PM
i would put mags first then bodykit :D but thats just me

BassyAstra
11th November 2004, 12:06 AM
i would put mags first then bodykit but thats just

Mine came with 16"s

Tom76
11th November 2004, 02:45 AM
Honestly you need those 18" wheels to fill it out without lowering it extremely. Take a look at the pic in my signature. It's factory lowered by 15mm and has 17" wheels, and yet they look SO small...

:?

BassyAstra
11th November 2004, 10:27 AM
I do agree with you on that one, what size wheels can the new astra accomadate up to?

Hotty_Smurf
11th November 2004, 06:31 PM
ok, so im guessing it does come in a sedan shape.... :bang:

NUTTTR
11th November 2004, 07:31 PM
ok, so im guessing it does come in a sedan shape.... :bang:

nope :(

BassyAstra
11th November 2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah it does.
Astra H Wagon (http://www.opel.com/images/promo_astrasw.jpg)
That pic is crazy small, just go to www.opel.com - its on the main page.

NUTTTR
11th November 2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah it does.
Astra H Wagon (http://www.opel.com/images/promo_astrasw.jpg)
That pic is crazy small, just go to www.opel.com - its on the main page.

Um, that's a wagon, not a sedan....
It has a sedan form i think, but it's not here!

BassyAstra
11th November 2004, 08:54 PM
Ahh ok, :bang:
Looks like one, confusion.

Tom76
11th November 2004, 11:51 PM
I do agree with you on that one, what size wheels can the new astra accomadate up to?

The biggest that Opel is offering are 18" wheels (which look almost the same as my 17" just bigger, so that they fill out the thing).

Here's a 2.0 Turbo with 18" wheels: 2.0 Turbo (http://astrah.gn24.de/astrah.htm)

And here's an Opel prototype to test the OPC engine (it also features some OPC parts and is lowered quite a bit...) :twisted:

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/2576/OPC_Prototype.th.jpg (http://img85.exs.cx/img85/2576/OPC_Prototype.jpg)

I think those are 18" wheels as well.

NUTTTR
11th November 2004, 11:59 PM
they desperately need lowering..... 17's would fill nicely with a 15" drop on the suspension, lol!!! They are WAY too high IMHO (like at least 3-4" in the front) - when i say this i mean higher than they should be as stock..... the 15" steelies (coming on the financee's car) look absolutely shockingly small and horrible :( I've gotta get mags, however, she will kill me, so it's been nice knowing you all! lol

NUTTTR
12th November 2004, 12:00 AM
*AWESOME* check the video link on the page with the astra h turbo!!! it has a full start up screen and all !!!! *WOW*

Anonymous
14th November 2004, 12:26 PM
heyya NUTTTR this ones for you :D

just did a quickie its not very good but it gives you a pretty good idea how good it would look :P

Anonymous
14th November 2004, 07:48 PM
that looks pretty nice!

if i bought a new astra h, it would have to be in sports form, and all mods would be sports orientated. 8)

BoostedAstra
15th November 2004, 12:15 PM
I agree with Jose, they all look the same....

Rather a G any day of the week

Tom76
16th November 2004, 12:35 PM
Some further input to the wheel issue. Here's a comparision pic of my Astra H with summer wheels (17") and winter wheels (15"). I guess there wasn't really any need to mark them on the pic :lol:

http://www.njimko.de/pics/kocsi01.jpg

ABS
22nd November 2004, 11:56 PM
Nope there are no plans for a sedan in this series. It will be 3dr hatch, 5dr hatch, wagon and convertible only.

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 02:04 AM
After driving the fiancee's one tonight a fair distance the steering is weighted funny, it is quite light initially and then heavier, it drives well, small steering wheel is good :) The car accellerates surprisingly fast for a 1.8 that's so heavy, i was impressed... very tractable and in 4th accellerates pretty well too!!! Engines noisier but car is overal quieter (road noise with turbo mags, lowered, etc, in my car makes a stark contrast!), it is pretty easy to drive, gearshift a little notchy... No power below 2krpm really (all 1.8's i'd guess?) whereas the 2.2 has power from 900rpm!! :) Suspension isn't bouncy and wavey either like the old astras :)
Aaron

Namus
24th November 2004, 09:49 PM
to me the new AH astra looks like a pulsar q or mazda 3 with TS astra chassis, engine etc...

Reckon they should have tweaked the engine a bit though....

Tom76
30th November 2004, 10:28 PM
*AWESOME* check the video link on the page with the astra h turbo!!! it has a full start up screen and all !!!! *WOW*

Appearantly the startup logo can be switched to either Opel, Vauxhall, Holden or Chevrolet with any Astra H. This pic is from a german Astra H:

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/7861/LogoHolden.th.jpg (http://img109.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img109&image=LogoHolden.jpg)