PDA

View Full Version : Steel braided brake lines/hoses. Yes or No?

droodles
13th September 2010, 04:47 PM
Ok I've put this thread here because it would apply to all types of cars.

Steel braided brake lines/hoses, are they worth it? And does anyone here have a kit installed?

Reason that I'm asking is because mechanics and modders alike say that they do give increased responsiveness in braking and that they are MUCH better than the standard rubber hoses.

Old-Fashioned ‘rubber’ brake hoses traditionally fitted to cars and motorbikes have a relatively short reliable life.

The estimated life of a typical ‘rubber’ brake hose is 6 years, then, they can become safety hazards.
Imagine brake hoses as arteries in the human body. A person could live a normal life with hard and restricted arteries, but it’s when they exert their heart to some stress that symptoms arise…the same applies to brake hoses.

Brake hoses could appear OK but it’s when they are subjected to extreme pressures in an ‘emergency stop’ is when they need to be in good condition to handle this stress.

Most braking systems with boosted assisted brakes obtain pressures of approximately 1500psi.

http://www.braidedhoses.com.au/whybraided.html

poita
13th September 2010, 04:51 PM
ive done mine, but that was along with high performance fluid, and slotted rotors

made a difference overall, just not sure how much the lines attributed to it

guy 27
13th September 2010, 04:53 PM
How often are you driving your car that hard that would require braided lines?

To be honest I would upgrade disks and pads and leave it at that unless your going to track your car more than a few times a year.

Another thing (hopefully someone else can clarify) is that they need to be ADR approved.

poita
13th September 2010, 04:54 PM
yer ADR approval is required.

goodridge lines from the uk are im pretty sure

Nurb608
13th September 2010, 05:09 PM
It's a big yes from me, and do the fluid at the same time to something like a GP600 quality.

ROCCO
13th September 2010, 06:00 PM
Nurb have you done yours?? If so where did you get your get and how much?? I've been wanting to do this to my H for sometime...I have slotted rotors and upgraded pads just wanting to finsih it off with hoses and gp600 fluid

Nurb608
13th September 2010, 06:05 PM
Mine came with my brake upgrade kit. Don't use the cheap ones or the "Hell" ones ;)

droodles
13th September 2010, 06:16 PM
How often are you driving your car that hard that would require braided lines?

To be honest I would upgrade disks and pads and leave it at that unless your going to track your car more than a few times a year.

Another thing (hopefully someone else can clarify) is that they need to be ADR approved.

Well my Astra is basically a daily driver. It gets me to uni and back plus weekend trips out. So I hardly ever track it. It's just I find that I have to really APPLY my pedal when I want to stop.

I know that changing the rotors and pads would greatly improve braking power but I'm wondering if the brake hoses would also make some sort of considerable improvement in braking response/power.

guy 27
13th September 2010, 06:29 PM
as its a daily driver, new fluid and change the pads to hpx or bendix pads.
if money isn't too much of an issue then maybe some slotted disks.

try that out first before going to braided lines.

Also does your car have ABS? reason i am asking is that the non abs cars have smaller disks and can be upgraded to improve braking.

Nurb608
13th September 2010, 06:36 PM
Slightly different response than guy's, braided lines will improve pedal feel if that's what you are after. Upgrading the pads and rotors will allow you to brake alot better but brake feel will be the same.

droodles
13th September 2010, 06:50 PM
as its a daily driver, new fluid and change the pads to hpx or bendix pads.
if money isn't too much of an issue then maybe some slotted disks.

try that out first before going to braided lines.

Also does your car have ABS? reason i am asking is that the non abs cars have smaller disks and can be upgraded to improve braking.

I'll get some new brakes once these current ones are done. They're only about 5,000-6,000 km old.

Yeah my car does have ABS, don't all Astras do nowadays?

bender
13th September 2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah my car does have ABS, don't all Astras do nowadays?

nope the ts city didnt have anything like that

and it was an 04 model