PDA

View Full Version : quality tinting around melbourne

vectra_
12th September 2010, 05:29 AM
wheres a good tinting place at melbourne...every shop that i went were really expensive...no less then 280...

is there a good tinting place around melbourne thats not too expensive...ive got factory tint but i want it darker....also whats the legal requirements for melbourne on tintin does anyone know ? (:

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 07:26 AM
also whats the legal requirements for melbourne on tintin does anyone know ? (:

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/my+car/car+safety/safety+equipment/window+tinting

Victorian roadworthy requirements - window tinting

VicRoads state that all motor vehicles manufactured after July 1971 are required to comply with Australian Design Rule (ADR) 8/00 - Safety Glazing Material. This rule states that:

Windscreens must transmit at least 75 percent of visible light in the primary vision area (which excludes a small area along the top of the windscreen, as detailed in ADR 8/00),
All other windows other than the windscreen must transmit at least 35 percent of visible light.
No window fitted with tinting film must produce a reflectance value of more than 10 percent (a typical value for untreated glass).
It is not permitted to add tinting to the primary vision area of the front windscreen.

Ask JohnBu for a contact - otherwise 250-280 is reasonable. Some places will do a darker tint, but get a picky cop and you'll get a canary.

ledgend
12th September 2010, 09:00 AM
Have been quoted $480 to do daughters vectra in country vic. There are new regulations coming in soon, aparently to do with how dark you can go. On our family bus it is as dark as you can get. might be going for a drive to ballarat or melbourne sounds a lot cheaper.

hazrd
12th September 2010, 09:54 AM
we got 20% put on the astra from a mob in hoppers crossing for $285

quality job too

vectra_
12th September 2010, 01:56 PM
does anyone have a pic of the darkest that you can go?

sooty
12th September 2010, 01:59 PM
does anyone have a pic of the darkest that you can go?

I think there are pics in my member's thread of darkest legal (35%) [search diesel145 if you're interested]
darkest you can go physically is like 5%, I think neeko has done a car in 5%

hazrd
12th September 2010, 02:47 PM
20% is in my sig

And if u wanna see 15% do a search in the members rides for my old Calibra... That was ridiculously dark

vectra_
12th September 2010, 06:35 PM
so under 35 is not legal am i right?

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 07:13 PM
yes

xplosv57
12th September 2010, 08:30 PM
also because you have factory tint, they charge alot extra to remove the original tint, if you're getting quoted $280 with removing the original tint, then thats a very good price!!

in some cases, if the tint is very light, in can be tinted over, but in most cases needs to be removed!!

vectra_
12th September 2010, 08:47 PM
how can i find out the percentige of my tint ? because i think its 35 % already im not sure....and i want it bit darker...

hazrd
12th September 2010, 09:23 PM
u would need a light tester for it i beleive, tint places might have it, but i doubt it

bartsisgod
12th September 2010, 09:35 PM
come down to geelong - A.M. TINTING, got mine done there for 300 dollars, 13% tint (illegal of course) they are also stocking 4% and 20% and all the legal options also

vectra_
12th September 2010, 09:46 PM
will i get a fine for illegal tinting? also problem with insurance ? ((:

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 09:56 PM
yes, you can get fined or your car unroadworthied, also if you are in an accident and are at fault, and the insurance company figures out you've put in illegal tint - your insurance will be cancelled and you will not be covered.

bartsisgod
12th September 2010, 10:02 PM
ive been pulled over by cops plenty of times for the car being too low (which has always just passed) and for dark tint but ive always maintained that it is "how i purchased" the car and it must be legal because it passed a RWC when i purchased it and ive never been canaried, maybe cops are dumb down my way but so must be aami, went in to tell them that i had 19s on the car, assessor comes out to sus the car and asked about the tint and i said the same thing and he didnt question it one bit. but yeah you would be running a risk...20% IMO would be passable

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 10:09 PM
yeah, you don't hear of people getting busted for "too dark tint" that often, but at the end of the day it's still illegal and you do run the risk of getting shafted by the cops or insurance.

vectra_
12th September 2010, 10:11 PM
i might call up my insurance company and ask :/

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 10:14 PM
why? do you think they will say - "yeah no worries, we'll cover you for 20% tint even though the Road rules say no darker than 35??" :p

vectra_
12th September 2010, 10:20 PM
lol i dont know ((: they can say its alright for us but you might get fines for it and get pulled over many times...

xplosv57
12th September 2010, 10:20 PM
why? Do you think they will say - "yeah no worries, we'll cover you for 20% tint even though the road rules say no darker than 35??" :p

lol!!

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 10:22 PM
allrighty then - let us know how you go :)

vectra_
12th September 2010, 10:24 PM
do they actually ask for your tint % ??? because last year i had an accident and they didnt ask me anything about it

Vectracious
12th September 2010, 10:27 PM
no, as far as I know they just ask if your car is tinted (this is for details of your policy) - they'll probably assume that its legal.

vectra_
12th September 2010, 10:33 PM
then it wont be a problem.. i guess