PDA

View Full Version : New Subaru WRX Launch in Melbourne Thursday 9th September

JohnBu
8th September 2010, 09:41 AM
To celebrate the new Subaru WRX and Subaru WRX STI, Subaru seek performance enthusiasts like you to join in this exclusive, invite-only unveiling. Join your fellow dedicated Subaru performance enthusiasts as part of an exclusive guest list in either Sydney or Melbourne to celebrate the launch of the new Subaru WRX and Subaru WRX STI.

SUBARU INTERACTIVE @ DOCKLANDS
99 LORIMER STREET, DOCKLANDS
DATE: 9TH SEPTEMBER
TIME: 6:30PM - 8:30PM

I can't make it and have 2 tickets to offer someone if they want it.

Let me know if you are interested.

JB

poita
8th September 2010, 12:08 PM
very generous of you mate

hope someone snaps these up

hazrd
8th September 2010, 02:38 PM
just gave steve the heads up, he might be keen, so pretty much gone pending his answer...

xplosv57
8th September 2010, 02:39 PM
yeah ill go, for sure John!!

hazrd
8th September 2010, 02:40 PM
fark me that was quick :lol:

xplosv57
8th September 2010, 02:41 PM
fark me that was quick :lol:

LOL i just got your message haha, cheers!!!

JohnBu
8th September 2010, 02:48 PM
and they are gone...

Wraith
9th September 2010, 12:10 PM
Well done John...

I'm looking forward to seeing these in the showroom, as the base WRX will now have the same 'wide body' as the STI...

Wonder if Mitsu will do the same with the Ralliarts, ie. same body as the Evos...

poita
9th September 2010, 01:13 PM
Well done John...

I'm looking forward to seeing these in the showroom, as the base WRX will now have the same 'wide body' as the STI...

Wonder if Mitsu will do the same with the Ralliarts, ie. same body as the Evos...

i hope not, it just makes it easier for the wannabes to have evo's and sti's

JohnBu
10th September 2010, 08:20 AM
I do like the wide body.

Anyway, it's shameful if you tried to mock up your car to something it's not.

Anyway, Steve, how they they look like in the flesh?

Wraith
10th September 2010, 09:46 AM
i hope not, it just makes it easier for the wannabes to have evo's and sti's

Either way, the WRX will now have the STI's wide body and I agree with John they look the better for it and also they will benifit from better handling with the STI's wider track...the base WRX now has the power to really stand out, so why not make it look the part as well :)

Now if only Subaru would pull their finger out and start fitting a twin clutch trans (which they could easily do as they have em in their ralli cars) on the WRX range, then things would get really interesting !!!

Maybe there'll be a body enhancement to the STI's in future to keep that variant distinctive and ahead...

I do like the wide body.

Anyway, it's shameful if you tried to mock up your car to something it's not.

Anyway, Steve, how they they look like in the flesh?

I agree, I like the look of the current STI and the same body on the base WRX makes it far more attractive...no need to mock em up, they'll be OEM that way so no one would need to complain about wannabe STI's...

Also awaiting on Steves comments, I've seen the pics and the only difference is the front end - bar and grille area is different to STI...

MatsHolden
10th September 2010, 04:55 PM
I went along with Steve last night so i guess I have to thank John in an indirect sort of way haha. Thanks mate.

My verdict...

Wide kit on WRX is a good thing for WRX owners, not so sure for the STi owners.
Updated front treatment looks pretty tough on both models.
Hatch KILLS the sedan. The sedan rear is just completely off the mark.
Rear bar on the sedan is very clumsy particularly around the 'diffuser' area where the exhaust exits. The exhaust exits way to far underneath the rear bar, so unless you're standing well back from the car it looks like there is no exhausts. The hatch receives a much better looking rear bar/diffuser.
WRX exhaust tips look better than the STi tips.
Boot/Hatch space is pretty ordinary.
Interior quality... well I wouldn't get too excited. Switches feel very very ordinary. I felt I had to be gentle on some of the components as not to break them!
Cabin feels airy in both sedan and hatch which is good.
Stupidly large mirrors as in the previous model block visibility quite badly, particularly if you're trying to pick out a corner apex.
Cody Crocker and Dean Herridge took a couple onto the skid pan for a bit of fun, but couldn't hear the exhaust note which the Subaru head honchos had talked up all night.

Would I consider one for a daily driver? No, purely down to the fact the interior just felt very cheap and uninspiring.

I think the WRX and WRX STi is a car you would buy if you had the dollars for a new weekend track car as I have no doubt about the performance capabilities of the car; or if you're a Subaru die hard. Address the interior issues however and then you'd probably convince a few more people to move accross to the WRX and STi stable.

Hats off to Subaru Australia for a very impressive launch night too!

Milesy
11th September 2010, 07:32 AM
I agree the wide body makes a massive improvement and I have always liked the WRX and it is a hoot to drive....but that interior is horrible and well below par for that kind of money. Let's just hope the next update focuses on the interior!

Neeko
12th September 2010, 11:36 AM
I checked it out yesterday. My next car <3

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/010-5.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/009-5.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/008-6.jpg

poita
12th September 2010, 11:38 AM
niiiiice

Wraith
13th September 2010, 11:53 AM
Agree NICE !!!!

And agree with most of Matts amd Milseys comments...

I've always liked the STI hatch over the sedan and this new WRX now has the same look :)

If one day they do address the interior and also provide a twin clutch option, that'd be the go :)

sooty
13th September 2010, 01:00 PM
Saw a my11 in black on the back of a tow truck today, looks much, much better and more aggresive with the widebody stance. The wheels however look absolutely terrible!

Neeko
13th September 2010, 06:45 PM
at least they did a small interior fix on this model, few colours changed around and much nicer feel now.

hopefully i should have the hatch in 2 months time!

xplosv57
13th September 2010, 07:54 PM
Forgot to update this thread after the night.

First of all big thanks to John for the tickets, much apprecited!!

Subaru Interactive @ Docklands, one of the best facilities i have ever been to (and ive been to quite a few) was most impressed with the layout of the place and also the special features of the place (dyno, off road track, skid pan, museum)

Now the cars........... Subaru made a point of saying how the original WRX was $39990 and the price has never changed.... nor has the interior quality!!

Feels like sitting in a base model Corolla, basic features, sub standard quality and feel and the seats are very ordinary considering the 'racer' pedigree!!

Exterior wise, looks better with the bigger STi guards, but the sedan still just looks horrid, the spoiler is just way too big and the reasoning behind sitting the exhaust tips so far back is a bit odd!

STi however is a great package, definetely have to tick the $1000 Recaro option, those seats are amazing!! Still has an average interior, but high spec has a multi function audio system which differentiates it from the others...

STi hatch would be my pick, theres some real nice colours to choose from and love the STi wheels, but at $59990 i can think of many better choices!!

Wraith
14th September 2010, 12:35 PM
Saw a my11 in black on the back of a tow truck today, looks much, much better and more aggresive with the widebody stance. The wheels however look absolutely terrible!

Agree, the new STI hatch always looked good in my eyes and now the WRX hatch looks just as good and is obtainable to people who wanted the far better looking STI but couldn't afford it...

at least they did a small interior fix on this model, few colours changed around and much nicer feel now.

hopefully i should have the hatch in 2 months time!

Premature congrats Neeko, I'm sure it'll be a great car to own !!! - look forward to seeing it when it arrives :thumbs:

Forgot to update this thread after the night.

First of all big thanks to John for the tickets, much apprecited!!

Subaru Interactive @ Docklands, one of the best facilities i have ever been to (and ive been to quite a few) was most impressed with the layout of the place and also the special features of the place (dyno, off road track, skid pan, museum)

Now the cars........... Subaru made a point of saying how the original WRX was $39990 and the price has never changed.... nor has the interior quality!!

Feels like sitting in a base model Corolla, basic features, sub standard quality and feel and the seats are very ordinary considering the 'racer' pedigree!!

Exterior wise, looks better with the bigger STi guards, but the sedan still just looks horrid, the spoiler is just way too big and the reasoning behind sitting the exhaust tips so far back is a bit odd!

STi however is a great package, definetely have to tick the $1000 Recaro option, those seats are amazing!! Still has an average interior, but high spec has a multi function audio system which differentiates it from the others...

STi hatch would be my pick, theres some real nice colours to choose from and love the STi wheels, but at $59990 i can think of many better choices!!

Good write up Steve, agree about the sedan it's a pity as the normal sedan actually looks ok IMHO just the bulged STI treatment dosn't work for that model as it does on the hatch...

gmonkey
14th September 2010, 02:38 PM
Wish they'd release a wagon variant :( liberty just don't cut it anymore

JohnBu
14th September 2010, 04:18 PM
I haven't seen the sedan in person, but I think it will be very popular..

For $40k, it is truely a great buy. I'll take one over a GTI, if it came with a DSG type transmission.

I wonder what the insurance is like on WRXs these days?

MatsHolden
14th September 2010, 04:24 PM

For $40k, it is truely a great buy. I'll take one over a GTI, if it came with a DSG type transmission.

I reckon you'll change your mind very quickly once you sit in one for a bit John!

xplosv57
14th September 2010, 05:51 PM
I reckon you'll change your mind very quickly once you sit in one for a bit John!

+1

WRX is purely a car you can go race and go super quick, whereas the GTi can be used for daily duties in comfort AND still be able to have a bit of a fang on the weekends...

liam
14th September 2010, 06:16 PM
My insight on this:

We have a 2010 WRX with the leather/sat nav pack so its top of the line when it comes to fit and finish. In all honesty the interior is crap, when you feel in it its not a special experience, merely an ocean of plastic painted various colours. The quality of the design is also questionable, there are a few key areas that rattle in the car purely due to how they have been designed and made (mainly the latches on things). Driving wise the car is great, in a straight line! The transmission lacks feel, the car rolls into corners like a couch, you have ZERO feeling of the corner beneath you. Its completely unnerving when it comes to pushing the car hard through the twisty bits. (BTW for whoever asked up there^^ insurance isnt too bad, from memory Mum pays $700 ish for hers )

The only reason we have one in our garage is down to the fact there were non in the country to test drive and manual golf's were as rare as hens teeth. As a track car the subby could be made nice, alot of bracing, lowering ect ect to correct its issues, and the number one mod being a short shifter!

Since then I have had the pleasure to drive a GTi, I have to say everything is different! In a straight line the subbie feels a heck of alot faster, and the engine seems alot more vocal. But the thing that really wins the GTi for me is the fit and finish, the buttons feel so tight and refined, all the transmission feels direct the gearbox solid. Turning into corners is awesome to say the least.

The other dark horse this year will be the 2011 Mitsubishi Ralliart, apparently its going to be offered as a manual variant which will make it much more appealing to alot more potential WRX customers. Already it has handling and acceleration slaughtering the WRX (Once the CVT gets over its initial lag in first). The only thing I would say about the Mitsu is fit and finish (I drive a Lancer VR-X, Identical interior to the ralliart in terms of dash/door cards ect) the door cards are VERY plastic and scratch quite easily, same with the dash really it suffers the subaru syndrome of big curves of plastic that arent really attractive. The WRX and the Ralliart are surprisingly similar when you look at them in terms of interior actually, the sat nav's are the same, the heating controls are the same.

My choice out of all of them would be the GTi, I feel the WRX just dosent handle like it should and the Ralliart is just a very large car (unless you go with the sportback which looks horrible)

sooty
14th September 2010, 06:48 PM
The other dark horse this year will be the 2011 Mitsubishi Ralliart, apparently its going to be offered as a manual variant which will make it much more appealing to alot more potential WRX customers. Already it has handling and acceleration slaughtering the WRX (Once the CVT gets over its initial lag in first).

The ralliart in no way even compares to the acceleration of the wrx, let alone slaughters it. The ralliart will do mid 6's whilst the wrx does mid 5's. Sst is also really annoying if you're trying to keep the boost up for rolling acceleration
I know when I drove them both the wrx definitely felt quicker, and more usable.

liam
14th September 2010, 06:49 PM
That may be, but get the pair in a rolling start and see what happens

sooty
14th September 2010, 06:52 PM

177kw in a 1500kg car where it won't hold boost on the downshift so you get nice lag compared to 195kw in a 1500kg car where you can pick your gear and rev perfectly to be bang on boost.
As I said, I drove them both, I know what happens.

Wraith
15th September 2010, 12:07 PM

My insight on this:

We have a 2010 WRX with the leather/sat nav pack so its top of the line when it comes to fit and finish. In all honesty the interior is crap, when you feel in it its not a special experience, merely an ocean of plastic painted various colours. The quality of the design is also questionable, there are a few key areas that rattle in the car purely due to how they have been designed and made (mainly the latches on things). Driving wise the car is great, in a straight line! The transmission lacks feel, the car rolls into corners like a couch, you have ZERO feeling of the corner beneath you. Its completely unnerving when it comes to pushing the car hard through the twisty bits. (BTW for whoever asked up there^^ insurance isnt too bad, from memory Mum pays $700 ish for hers )

The only reason we have one in our garage is down to the fact there were non in the country to test drive and manual golf's were as rare as hens teeth. As a track car the subby could be made nice, alot of bracing, lowering ect ect to correct its issues, and the number one mod being a short shifter!

Since then I have had the pleasure to drive a GTi, I have to say everything is different! In a straight line the subbie feels a heck of alot faster, and the engine seems alot more vocal. But the thing that really wins the GTi for me is the fit and finish, the buttons feel so tight and refined, all the transmission feels direct the gearbox solid. Turning into corners is awesome to say the least.

The other dark horse this year will be the 2011 Mitsubishi Ralliart, apparently its going to be offered as a manual variant which will make it much more appealing to alot more potential WRX customers. Already it has handling and acceleration slaughtering the WRX (Once the CVT gets over its initial lag in first). The only thing I would say about the Mitsu is fit and finish (I drive a Lancer VR-X, Identical interior to the ralliart in terms of dash/door cards ect) the door cards are VERY plastic and scratch quite easily, same with the dash really it suffers the subaru syndrome of big curves of plastic that arent really attractive. The WRX and the Ralliart are surprisingly similar when you look at them in terms of interior actually, the sat nav's are the same, the heating controls are the same.

My choice out of all of them would be the GTi, I feel the WRX just dosent handle like it should and the Ralliart is just a very large car (unless you go with the sportback which looks horrible)

Have to agree with Ain on some of the above, ie. the new WRX will kill the Ralliart Lancer in acceleration...you mentioned 2011 Ralliart - is something different on this newer variant ??

The ralliart in no way even compares to the acceleration of the wrx, let alone slaughters it. The ralliart will do mid 6's whilst the wrx does mid 5's. Sst is also really annoying if you're trying to keep the boost up for rolling acceleration
I know when I drove them both the wrx definitely felt quicker, and more usable.

Again agreed on acceleration with these 2, it's a simple matter of power/weight ratio, but honestly I found the SST on the Ralliart to be just short of fantastic...and AFAIK the newer batch of both Evos and Ralliarts have had the SST settings improved and got rid of any initial take off hesitation which was the only thing I could complain about when I drove it and have heard similar from early Evo 10 owners...

I'd still choose a Ralliart Lancer though even over this new WRX IMO, it looks alot better both inside and out (especially the Evo) even compared to the wide body rex's, both sedan and hatch and IMO both sedan and hatch Lancers are more practicle as they give more usable interior space compared to the Subes and the Mitsus simply can't be beaten for long term ownership value with a 10 year mechanical warranty and despite both being guzzlers, the sube is the thirstier and also for me a twin clutch is a must have for a new daily driver, the Subes won't get one anytime soon :)

That would be interesting - are there any figures for the new sube WRX rolling acceleration times about ?? there is plenty of printed material on the Ralliart...I certainly liked the way the Ralliart and SST behaved when I drove it :)

liam
15th September 2010, 08:55 PM
Yes Wraith thats the fundamental part of the challenge for 2011, a manual ralliart would remove the lag the SST gearbox has initially. Look at the launches of the SST gearbox they are very slow, thats where the current ralliart loses time.

Dont let the lancers seem underpowered I know through second into halfway through third I can get away from a SV6 after that their power kicks in and I cant keep up but through those gears it takes em :)

xplosv57
15th September 2010, 09:23 PM
pretty sure if you compared a WRX to a SV6, the WRX would win hands down in every aspect........

liam
15th September 2010, 11:03 PM
pretty sure if you compared a WRX to a SV6, the WRX would win hands down in every aspect........

Pretty sure I compared MY lancer which is a normally aspirated VRX, it seems people really underestimate the power of the lancers turbo or not is all im trying to say

gmonkey
16th September 2010, 12:38 AM
The only good lancer IMO is an evo.. Buying a ralliart is just screaming I'm too poor to buy a good version of the car but I still don't mind spending rediculous money on something that has lots of other cars in the same price bracket that is better.

Must admit though the ralliart lancer lookED better than the wrx but now it doesn't :p

Wraith
16th September 2010, 07:42 AM
Yes Wraith thats the fundamental part of the challenge for 2011, a manual ralliart would remove the lag the SST gearbox has initially. Look at the launches of the SST gearbox they are very slow, thats where the current ralliart loses time.

Dont let the lancers seem underpowered I know through second into halfway through third I can get away from a SV6 after that their power kicks in and I cant keep up but through those gears it takes em :)

A manual option would be good for the Ralliart, however I'll bet the % of sales will still be far greater for the SST around 75% vs 25% IMO...

If you get a chance have a drive of the newer production batch, as said AFAIK they've fixed the take off hesitation prob - at least I know that's definitely the case for the newer Evos :)

Maybe in terms of performance but an SV6 would be the far better value for money vehicle purchase, ie if you don't mind the much larger vehicle size...

Pretty sure I compared MY lancer which is a normally aspirated VRX, it seems people really underestimate the power of the lancers turbo or not is all im trying to say

They all go well Liam, anybody here who has driven one will attest to that, the Ralliart is a great drive and it just takes some minor tweaks to make it a real performer and you can get those tweaks will full factory warranty !!! :)

The only good lancer IMO is an evo.. Buying a ralliart is just screaming I'm too poor to buy a good version of the car but I still don't mind spending rediculous money on something that has lots of other cars in the same price bracket that is better.

Must admit though the ralliart lancer lookED better than the wrx but now it doesn't :p

Have to disagree, the Ralliart represents excellent value for money and is the far better variant to live with a a daily drive...the Evo is a sensation of a car as we all know, but truth be told it's ride characteristics make it a bit of a PITA as a daily driver...

Neeko
16th September 2010, 01:04 PM
i can not wait to get this car! Once my probation is over at work I can apply for my loan. I do admit the interior leaves alot to be desired BUT once my personal finishing touches are complete (Black ceiling, suede here and there etc.) she'll be a beaut. The first 2 most affordable mods are a must for the car.

1. for $600 you can buy the handheld COBB Tuning port that comes with several different maps and heaps of nifty features. Not to mention the boost increase to 18psi which has a 16% power and 14% torque increase.

2. A 22mm rear swaybar from perrin with metal (instead of plastic) rear end links for both front and rear bar. This increases stiffness by 490% over stock!! (http://perrinperformance.com/products/show/426/Sway-Bar-Rear-22mm-?category=77&model=23).
Should definitely help out a bit ;)

Wraith
21st September 2010, 07:43 AM
i can not wait to get this car! Once my probation is over at work I can apply for my loan. I do admit the interior leaves alot to be desired BUT once my personal finishing touches are complete (Black ceiling, suede here and there etc.) she'll be a beaut. The first 2 most affordable mods are a must for the car.

1. for $600 you can buy the handheld COBB Tuning port that comes with several different maps and heaps of nifty features. Not to mention the boost increase to 18psi which has a 16% power and 14% torque increase.

2. A 22mm rear swaybar from perrin with metal (instead of plastic) rear end links for both front and rear bar. This increases stiffness by 490% over stock!! (http://perrinperformance.com/products/show/426/Sway-Bar-Rear-22mm-?category=77&model=23).
Should definitely help out a bit ;)

Sounds good Neeko, either way stock or modded the WRX has always been one hell of a car to drive - no question ! :)

It sure is going to be a major update for you as well :)

Neeko
21st September 2010, 09:34 AM
Sounds good Neeko, either way stock or modded the WRX has always been one hell of a car to drive - no question ! :)

It sure is going to be a major update for you as well :)

nonsense :p only adding 2 doors,129kws, and 2 more drive wheels!

yes majooorrr update for me.

Wraith
21st September 2010, 10:52 AM
nonsense :p only adding 2 doors,129kws, and 2 more drive wheels!

yes majooorrr update for me.

LOL it's gonna freak you out at 1st compared to that innocent Corsa... :D

Neeko
21st September 2010, 11:05 AM
LOL it's gonna freak you out at 1st compared to that innocent Corsa... :D
i've test driven it 4 times now, so i'm a little prepared.
shame it won't freak me out in the handling department :(

Wraith
21st September 2010, 11:44 AM
i've test driven it 4 times now, so i'm a little prepared.
shame it won't freak me out in the handling department :(

Little bit of modding will fix that up :)