PDA

View Full Version : towing capabilities of the corsa b gsi

adam_92
1st September 2010, 11:04 PM
hey guys. iv been looking at getting a quadbike but since i got the corsa b i wouldnt really have anything to tow it with. i would have never thought of the corsa as a towing vehicle but im starting to see more and more getz's with towbars at work and then i saw that guy the other week who tows a boat i think it was on 1000km+ round trips on a regular basis without any troubles and i think his was a 1.4 not the 1.6... so basically what could go wrong with towing a quadbike and small trailer 9/10 weekends. i know of excessive sagging on the springs and shocks etc but what could go wrong with the engine and gearbox side of things ?????

guy 27
1st September 2010, 11:07 PM
will put more stress on engine, gearbox and brakes.

can also stretch and deform the body of the car.

I wouldn't recommend it on such a small car personally.

hazrd
1st September 2010, 11:22 PM
Find out how heavy the trailer plus quad bike would be, then find out the towing capacity of the corsa, don't expect much though

adam_92
1st September 2010, 11:27 PM
Find out how heavy the trailer plus quad bike would be, then find out the towing capacity of the corsa, don't expect much though

never thought of that haha. cheers mate

adam_92
1st September 2010, 11:37 PM
towing unbraked is 450kg and braked is 1000kg. does anyone know if a quadbike and trailer will be within specs ?

hazrd
2nd September 2010, 09:16 AM
Depends on the trailer
The quad would be at least 400kg (full size ATV). and u probably couldn't go any bigger than a box trailer

guy 27
2nd September 2010, 09:21 AM
just put a tow rope between the car and the quad, or build a set of ramps to put it on the roof.

gmonkey
2nd September 2010, 09:47 AM
Take out back seats and go at it with angle grinder and welder.. Turn it into a corsa b ute :p u know u sorta want to...

hazrd
2nd September 2010, 10:08 AM
There's a member on here who had his corsa c decked out for towing IIRC

can't remember his name though sorry, have a look thru the members threads

gmonkey
2nd September 2010, 10:19 AM
Yeh he's a WA member tows his boat long distance a lot and does offroading a bit in it

glider
2nd September 2010, 10:33 AM
you'd be looking at a braked trailer for this, not sure this is the right car for this sort of thing...

btm
2nd September 2010, 10:41 AM
Yeh he's a WA member tows his boat long distance a lot and does offroading a bit in it

isnt it only a light kayak he tows though?

gmonkey
2nd September 2010, 10:50 AM
Fiber glass 15ft boat I think I'll try finding out

gmonkey
2nd September 2010, 10:55 AM
4.2m fiberglass boat filled with camping gear and stiff.. Members name was da_hughsta or something close to that

Calibrated
2nd September 2010, 02:19 PM
in SA, we towed our 17ft Flamingo Cabin Cruiser with a 1.3 Corsa B. launched it, pulled it out. never had any issues. and the car was loaded too! they can handle it :)