PDA

View Full Version : Astra 2002 Fuelpump

Ollep
24th August 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi!
Just got in an Astra 2002, and it doesn't pump fuel.

Can't find a fuel pump fuse or relay, anyone knows where it's located?
Assuming the pump is still under the rear seat?

Anyone with ideas of where the problem can be?
By the way, the petrol gauge doesn't seem to work either.

THANXXX guys!!!

Olle...

boorny88
24th August 2010, 12:08 PM
i know its a silly quistion but do you have fuel in the car?

could be the sender but there should be a fuse for it

Ollep
24th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Yes Boorny, I tried filling up and it was over flowing after maybe 5 liter. Also put back pressure on it and pushed out petrol.

Another question;

How the heck do I open the petrol tank lid on the Astras????
Seem to be permanently locked with some folded metal parts?

Cheers

Olle..

boorny88
24th August 2010, 12:30 PM
as in the petrol cap or the flap that covers that? coz if you lock you car when you get out it locks other then that i dont have a clue

gman
24th August 2010, 01:00 PM
The petrol cap locks when you locl the car...shouldn't lock otherwise..

Fuel pump relay is under the bonnet. Chekc the manual, its in there as to the exact location...Is it a 1.8, 2.2 or turbo??

nuggz
24th August 2010, 01:11 PM
Fuel pump will be in tank under the rear seats

Remove the black plastic cover
then the fuel lines, spin the metal plate (its stiff) and you should be able to get into it

the relay is under the hood, from normally to the right side towards the firewall

Ollep
24th August 2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry - wasn't very clear on the tank lid, I didn't mean the cap - I meant the lid underneath the seat. So nuggz got it right. I've been hammering away but it sits bloody hard there, thought it was some kind of permanent lock.

Yes the relay box is in the engine room, just above the ABS position (this 02 does not have ABS) there is one relay missing, and the 2 that are there lock a bit over heated (discolored on the top.) probably worth investigation.

Cheers

Olle..

nuggz
24th August 2010, 02:20 PM
i know it sounds a bit dangerous on a fuel tank

but i had to use a Flathead and a mallet to get it free

gman
24th August 2010, 02:53 PM
Ahhh...As Nuggz said I used a large flathead screw driver and a heavy mallet. Just becareful not to damage the actual tank (that said, mine has a large-ish dint in the top of it now though....Opps ;) ) and if it still wont budge, try levering the tabs up slightly to loosen them off a touch.

I've had mine off 4 times now and the first is always the hardest....

Ollep
25th August 2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks guy's - gonna get the mallet out today. better have the extinguisher handy as well. :)

Just replaced the 2 purple relays and the fuse above the "ABS bay" - and that didn't help!!!

Cheers

Olle....

Need cheap Astra Parts?
www.buyyourcar.com.au

Ollep
9th October 2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Guys - and much thanks for the help. Here's the cause and conclusion.

It was a smash damage car with very little visible damage, one damage however was a hit - and a dent - in the fuel tank. This hit was right on to the fuel pump, making a bloo... mess of the whole thing.

It was quite easy to open the tank lid - thanks to your instructions.

I still have my 2005 wrecking car, and WOW, the petrol tank are the same in 2005 and 2002. The tank is now install and the car is running.
(Except from that I now have a ECU problem - see separate thread.)

Thanks!!!

Olle..
More Astra parts....
http://www.buyyourcar.com.au/PartsMarket/Astra2005.aspx

PS; I'm looking for throttle body for this Astra 2002 CD.