PDA

View Full Version : PS3 USB Mod chip?

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 12:52 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/usb-modchip-device-claims-to-allow-ps3-retail-backups/#continued

This might be against the rules - But To me it will actually restore functions of the ps3 that were initially available that were subsequently removed by Sony. ( i.e The ability to tun linux )

I do not in any way endorse piracy of games - But I am all for home brew and development.

Remove the thread if you think it's too taboo.

Edit: - Looks like they are trying to sell the usb sticks for $160 aud - But a little birdy tells me that the hack is entirely software based - Meaning that you may be able to just download it and run it from your own usb device.

This is extremly fresh news ( literally under a day ) so keep your eyes peeled for some BIG announcements soon.

poita
20th August 2010, 07:14 AM
it wont allow game playback anyway

reading into it, yes you can backup your games

but no you cant play them back :lol:

gman
20th August 2010, 07:24 AM
This is just a service dongle that temp by passes the security.

Sony are working on a patch to close the hole in security. Very basic work around and not reliable at all

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 08:00 AM
it wont allow game playback anyway

reading into it, yes you can backup your games

but no you cant play them back :lol:

I won't say too much - But yes you can.

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 11:12 AM
This is just a service dongle that temp by passes the security.

Sony are working on a patch to close the hole in security. Very basic work around and not reliable at all

It seems to actually work the same way as the pandora battery on the psp systems - The usb actually has an encoded/stamped eeprom inside it.
So my previous information about it being software based is incorrect - This also means that the exploit can not be fixed with software, But only a hardware revision.

The dongle appears to place the console into developer mode, Wich gives you access to emulation tables that allow you to bluff the console into booting media from a hard disk while it assumes it is booting from the blu ray drive.

Very clever indeed - no doubt Sony will try and combat this with updates - But being hardawre based, It will be next to impossible to totally stop it.

gman
20th August 2010, 11:18 AM
So basically as I said this morning....The USD dongle disables the signing and authoring system software allowing the player to circumvent the security protection on the BR discs and loading from either the USB coded devices or other now "unlocked" USB ports.

And it definately CAN and WILL be fixed with a software update. I know one of the Sony contract developers who is working on it right now...All it means is distribution of a new service dongle to authorised developers ans Sony pushing out a new update to the firmware...

There is even teh possibility that Sony will try and push a silent patch to consoles that dosent require a user to accept, even going as far as to lock consoles using this under the guise of a breach of DRM whilst the dongle is inserted....

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 11:29 AM
Hmm..

Because this device is based on a "service dongle" This means that the device is loaded before any ps3 o.s or even the hypervisor are initialized, So a software patch would only temporarily limit access to files on the hard drive - This could be easily overcome becasue the dongle is updatable.

There is no way to stop the device from being loaded.

gman
20th August 2010, 11:32 AM
The interogation of the dongle for security or changing the loading protocol means that the dongle can be excluded through a security challenge check which it has to pass in the first place...

So in the challenge where X-1=0 and it now becomes X-2 = 0 means the dongle fails...

It can be as the USB dongle is still challenged in the boot up...

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 11:35 AM
But isn't that a parameter of the actual hardware function itself? - So how could this be fixed with a software update?

gman
20th August 2010, 01:10 PM
It is carried out in the initialisation of the drive firmware within the drive hardware yes. However, the firmware can be re-written/updated, thus allowing an updated value to be substituted over the original values, same as other firmware or driver changes can be made. As the parameters are not hardcoded, but loaded into the drive memory, they are alterable values, you just need the access to the drive firmware and startup security protocols.

As it is not the security on the actual discs that is the issue, only the security allowing unit to become a dev unit through suspension nof the security protocols, it will not fundamentally change the ongoing security protection contained within the discs.

To close the gap, they just need to alter the values for the developer access through a change in the driver startup firmware and the security challenge.

Its the same as a bios update, and you can change that without the hardware being altered.....

Dongles will be re-issued with the updated security challenge for X-2=0 for example instead of X-1=0.

Its the same basic premise as the region coding and how that works. Firmware in the startup loads a value to the driver that says "I equal X" (X being the region code).

When you put a disc in the consol says I am value X what are you? If the discs sends back a value to give a value of Y then it passes the challenge and it plays the disc.

Multi region discs give an answer that passes a second challenge that says if Y < -2 then pass secondary challenge. Multi region players have a value less than -2 in the first place so always pass secondary protcol check..

MAD-16V
20th August 2010, 02:02 PM
Your kung fu seems pretty solid Gman.

Will keep my eye on this and see what transpires when Sony try to combat it.

MAD-16V
28th August 2010, 01:47 PM
Well - The Australian federal court just placed restrictions on the sale of this device.

The only entity that is allowed to purchase the device is Sony - So they will surely reverse reverse engineer it :)