PDA

View Full Version : Saturn black 18" sri turbo rims YAY or NAY

Adriano
16th August 2010, 06:26 PM
Hey all,

got a mate of mine who owns a panel beater here in sydney who does all the rim work for a couple holden dealers - whether it be if you want your rims painted (like the HSV saturn black colour) or whatever suits your likes... they have the exact colour code and suggested what about getting the astra sri turbo 18" rims coloured in that colour...

Now i own a METALLIC SILVER sri turbo exactly like this one...

Rim colour is similar to the following FS thread

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?26949-Trade-black-AH-SRI-T-wheels-for-standard-AH-SRI-T-wheels

What you guys reckon - saturn black rims on a silver car?? Would it look a little out of place?

metry
16th August 2010, 06:38 PM
i say yay. however gutter rash stands out on black wheels

guy 27
16th August 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not a fan of black wheels. Unless its on a black car going for the stealth look.

gmonkey
16th August 2010, 08:04 PM
im going for a hell no!!!!!!! looks shit.. more so on a silver car

if u want black wheels just get some black steelies might aswell as you wont notice you got wheels from a distance :p

poita
16th August 2010, 08:15 PM
has to have a good contrasting colour imo.

black wheels dont work on all cars

03srit
16th August 2010, 08:31 PM
Ouch.. I was about to say "yeah like mine" but now I might have to look for a different colour when I actually get mine powdercoated.. Mines fading anyways..

hazrd
16th August 2010, 08:41 PM
http://media.audiojunkies.com/special-ed-crank-yankers-audio-junkies-forum.jpg

black on a silver car looks good imo

kabel
16th August 2010, 09:14 PM
Walkinshaw Performance had a silver SriT as a test mule with black wheels.
An image here.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2007/small-passenger/holden/astra/wpt-astra-sri-turbo-3476
I have some larger images somewhere also.

ChrisMaz
16th August 2010, 09:31 PM
I think black on silver looks pretty minty.

Adriano
16th August 2010, 09:50 PM
Walkinshaw Performance had a silver SriT as a test mule with black wheels.
An image here.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2007/small-passenger/holden/astra/wpt-astra-sri-turbo-3476
I have some larger images somewhere also.

That looks like a gunmetal - i actually prefer that colour!
got any larger images? panel beater can match that colour id say

thanks for the feedback all - its a hard decision!

kabel
16th August 2010, 09:55 PM
Mate I will have to dig them up,there used to be hi-res photos on Walkinshaw`s webpage.I downloaded them and they are on a hardrive.
PM me your e-mail and I will try and get them to you over the next day or so.

Hope that helps.

XLR87N
16th August 2010, 10:00 PM
Hey bro I reckon it would look the goods. U recon your mate would do a few bits in my engine bay? When u heading to my joint for photos ?

Adriano
16th August 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey bro I reckon it would look the goods. U recon your mate would do a few bits in my engine bay? When u heading to my joint for photos ?

hey ang, yeah im sure he could - shoot me a SMS saying what you want done and i'll ask him tomorrow.

gmonkey
16th August 2010, 11:00 PM
Gunmetal sides with silver face would look awesome..

Sadavidsrit has a set of matt black srit wheels he's trying to get rid off or swap..

The srit wheels look good as they are IMO

Ice
16th August 2010, 11:03 PM
yeh I think gunmetal will look good but me personally....I wouldnt go black unless the car is black to get that stealth look. One of the Vic guys (cant rememeber who) has done it with only 17" and it makes the car look really good :)

gmonkey
16th August 2010, 11:08 PM
yeh I think gunmetal will look good but me personally....I wouldnt go black unless the car is black to get that stealth look. One of the Vic guys (cant rememeber who) has done it with only 17" and it makes the car look really good :)

Bek did it.. Sadavidsrit done it.. Boorny sorta done it (Boornys look the best because he has a cut silver face to give it detail) thing is with black wheels you loose all the detail of the wheel and it just becomes lost in the wheel arches, wheels are something to show off I believe.

Greg K
17th August 2010, 12:56 PM
Gunmetal = Yes
Black = No

Wraith
17th August 2010, 01:05 PM
im going for a hell no!!!!!!! looks shit.. more so on a silver car

if u want black wheels just get some black steelies might aswell as you wont notice you got wheels from a distance :p

+ 1 ! Definite NAY for me...

Black rims are a fad that'll come and go, just like chrome...

IMHO they look shite on almost any car...

There is a distinct advantage or pro to them though when it comes to keeping clean, as they hide dirt well compared to your typical silver rims...

However you could achieve the same with grey or darker gunmetal finishes and they'll look better than black as well :)

Wraith
17th August 2010, 01:13 PM
Bek did it.. Sadavidsrit done it.. Boorny sorta done it (Boornys look the best because he has a cut silver face to give it detail) thing is with black wheels you loose all the detail of the wheel and it just becomes lost in the wheel arches, wheels are something to show off I believe.

Again + 1 totally agree...

Rims can give or make one of the biggest differences to the appearance of any car, many of those well designed ones have their detail totally lost when they're painted in black, total waste IMHO might just as well fit those plain black steel spare rims instead...

On multi piece rims a combination of black and silver or polished works, or even with the current trend of carbon fibre look or real carbon fibre lip with polished or silver centre looks the goods...

kabel
17th August 2010, 08:03 PM
Sent you an email.
Silver Srit with "gunmetal' OEM rims and also another Silver SriT with "black" OEM rims.
The choice should be obvious......................

Adriano
18th August 2010, 04:20 PM
Made my decision thanks for the hi res pics
gunmetal rims with the brakes painted the same blue as the Vxr pads.
Will be getting it done Saturday. Pics will be up Sunday.
Watch this space!

gmonkey
18th August 2010, 05:58 PM
Awesome good choice!!

Wraith
18th August 2010, 06:14 PM
Made my decision thanks for the hi res pics
gunmetal rims with the brakes painted the same blue as the Vxr pads.
Will be getting it done Saturday. Pics will be up Sunday.
Watch this space!

Nice choice :thumbs:

Look forward to the pics.

Hoss
19th August 2010, 11:28 AM
Good choice

Ashep22
19th August 2010, 07:57 PM
Found a few pictures of a silver vectra with black rims, he had silver ones before, i say +1 for yay as i will eventually be doing it, but its up to the individual really.
I know its not the same car, but its a good comparison. Here are the pics:

Before
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/ash220985/garage.jpg

After
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/ash220985/DSCF2115.jpg

gmonkey
19th August 2010, 08:09 PM
his body kit makes it a yay not the wheels :p

BEK-46P
19th August 2010, 08:25 PM
I think black on silver looks pretty minty.

+100

BEK-46P
19th August 2010, 08:35 PM

Stealth - not 'showponyness' - is the objective of spraying your rims black when you have a black car.

I agree that it can look rather bland at certain angles, but if you enhance the effect with coloured callipers (especially with wide-set spokes), your car as a whole can look quite stunning; it no longer becomes just about the wheels or the tints or your other mods.

But each to their own!

Adriano
22nd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Cars done!
Pics tomorrow in the light.

ChrisMaz
23rd August 2010, 04:07 AM
+100

What I should have said is Black on silver looks minty on certain shapes of cars. Coupes and aggressive looking cars it looks awesome on. Larger more mundane cars it looks a bit stupid on. From that assumption I've personally decided against spraying my snowies in a darker colour, purely because it just doesn't suit the lines and style of the car.

gmonkey
23rd August 2010, 04:09 AM
gunmetal would work chris... but yeh black wouldnt..

id go gunmetal sides and silver face.. two toned wheels just works for me :p

ChrisMaz
23rd August 2010, 04:50 AM
Just my opinion thats all.

hazrd
23rd August 2010, 09:56 AM
Cars done!
Pics tomorrow in the light.

:picsorban:

Adriano
23rd August 2010, 01:20 PM
pics with my iPhone - I'll get some slr pics up soon

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/Adriano87dj/6dbc9cb7.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/Adriano87dj/3413804c.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/Adriano87dj/a7ab1a52.jpg

sooty
23rd August 2010, 01:23 PM
Because they're so shiny, and with your pavers it looks like they're almost just covered in brake dust :lol: but i'm sure they look amazing in the metal!

Wraith
23rd August 2010, 01:24 PM
Nice...last pic gives a good indication of what they're like, unlike 1st pic which looks almost like black rims...

Even using those pics as an example, you can clearly see that grey looks heaps better than black IMO, so good choice :)

poita
23rd August 2010, 01:33 PM
perfect choice mate.

Adriano
23rd August 2010, 01:36 PM
In the sunlight it's got some metallic sparkle too - it reminds me of the gunmetal coloured rims you see on the ford performance vehicles... this camera phone doesn't do them much justice unfortunately.
I'll get some hi res ones up on a nice sunny day!

03srit
23rd August 2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah that looks awesome dude..

PS88
23rd August 2010, 03:13 PM
Black would look so much better+ lowered

hazrd
23rd August 2010, 04:43 PM
wow that looks nuts mate
well done

nuggz
23rd August 2010, 04:55 PM
+1
Good choice

Adriano
23rd August 2010, 05:31 PM
@PS88 - i saw a photo of the same car with black rims - having seeing that ...gunmetal looked the better choice.
Lowering is next on the agenda though

Hoss
23rd August 2010, 05:43 PM
Good choice.