PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Speedometor and ABS fault on 05 Astra.

Ollep
11th August 2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Guys!

Can anyone please give me some ideas about fixing a speedometer and odometer?

I bought an Astra 05 a year ago, a water effected auction vehicle. Needed to change all electronic pats and got it running quite easely, but NO speedo and NO odometer.

After playing around for a long while, including consulting my local Holden service, I gave up and bought a smash damaged Astra - barely drivable. I started the new car and checked that everything was working. It all did, including the speedo.

I then shifted all components over; ALL from the new one to my old Black one, and all the parts from my old Black one to the new one. The speedo still worked in the new one - but not in my black one.

After that I swapped over all cabling from the hubs via the ABS to the instrument cluster. And all BUT the speedo and odometer works. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

With all parts I men; All wheel hubs, ABS, ECU, Body control unit, Immobilizer, instrument, radio, radio display, fuce boxes and all relays - and finally front end cabeling.

So, I have a beutiful Black Astra 05, looks good and runs beautifully, but with an ABS warning light and no speedometer indication.

What the heck next!?!?!?!

Thanks for any ideas...

Cheers

Olle..

gman
11th August 2010, 07:41 AM
You need someone the read the code from the ecu'a so you can narrow down exactly what it is.

There could vena simple sensor or wire that is cut/shorted somewhere.

mr corsa
11th August 2010, 07:54 AM
did u change the wheel speed sensors and have you looked at your bcm ?

Ollep
11th August 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks Guys!
Yes we run the diagnostics but get no other fault than the ABS.

All wheel hubs including censors are replaced, and we read them (see them all) in the diagnostic computer.

Cheers

Olle...

PS; Here's the remainer of the "doner car" if someone requires good pats.
http://www.buyyourcar.com.au/

nigelh
11th August 2010, 12:40 PM
When you drive the car with the diagnostic scanner connect does it show the vehicle speed or just read 0kph?

Ollep
17th August 2010, 02:38 PM
Just did fresh tests on the Astra today – and it’s just one thing after the other.

Firstly one question;
There are three Blue / Red cables going up to the Instrument cluster. As the cluster and the connector have been changed this harness has to be cut and re soldered.

How can I determent in what order these cables are connecting.
What are these Blue / Red wires connecting / their function?

Cheers

Olle…
www.buyyourcar.com.au (http://www.buyyourcar.com.au/)

Ollep
17th August 2010, 02:55 PM
Just did fresh tests on the Astra today – and it’s just one thing after the other.

Chokingly, for the first time in a year (since water effected) the speedometer came alive. Quite consistent for a probably 10 – 20 kilometre run, but after a stop it went on to be intermittent.

Previously the Diagnostics computer could see and communicate with the instrument cluster, but today there where co contact or communication.

Consequently we couldn’t do full testing.
ABS and TRACTION light are still on in the dash.

The diagnostics was communicating with the ECU, indicating motor RPM properly, but a speed of 9 K’s regardless of actual vehicle speed.

QUESTIONS;
Is it possible to find a proper wiring diagram for these cars?
Is there a European Opel Forum somewhere? What URL?

Cheers

Olle…

mr corsa
17th August 2010, 03:00 PM
maybe the sensor pick up points aint reading ?

Ollep
17th August 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks Corsa.

Do you mean the wheel sensors?

All four hubs and sensors are coming from the “doner car” where they where working.

At previous test we could see all four sensors, but as we didn’t have full access today I wasn’t able to confirm it.

Cheers

Olle…

mr corsa
17th August 2010, 03:43 PM
Ok to be more clear how many teeth(sensor pickup point) are on your car to the donor car ?

Ollep
17th August 2010, 03:54 PM
Geee - Now you getting specific. Will have to give me some time for that one.

Either count them or I have to check with Holden and the VIN numbers.

Cheers

Olle...