PDA

View Full Version : **SPOILER** Inception - Theories, questions and discussion

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 08:17 PM
Having seen the movie Inception on Sunday, I thought some of you might like the opportunity to throw around a few theories you might have.

I'll kick off shall I?

In Level 3 of the dream, the 'Imagination' bloke who eventually blows up the snow base, he falls over the railing while fighting some other dude but doesn't trigger a 'kick'. Why not? It doesn't have to be triggered by someone in the above level becuse the architect (Ellen Page) kicks herself out of level 4 by falling out of the building......

thoughts anyone?

hazrd
3rd August 2010, 08:22 PM
it wasnt about falling, they had to die in the dream, ellen page fell to her death in the dream, triggering the kick

i think :confused:

sooty
3rd August 2010, 08:23 PM
The kick has to be to a certain extent though, like, whilst in the lift when arthur sets the explosives they first hit the top of the lift, so i guess that kick wasn't of high enough magnitude, whereas the architect jumped out of the 20th storey of a building. I mean obviously there has to be a certain level, else just walking could trigger it. Also the architect jumped into water/rain...so that would have helped. Plus the architect killed herself in limbo, that's how she got back, same as mal and cobb killed themselves with the train, and eventually saito kills himself (you don't see it) to get back to being on the plane.

To make the ending clearer to those who didn't quite understand how he could still possibly be dreaming.
In the room underneath the chemists place where he has the 12 people hooked up to the one machine, cobb tests the sedative, where he has an intimate dream with mal, i think it's the dream where they get run over by the train, and then you see him wake up, he rushes to the sink to wash his face and spin his totem as he thinks he sees Mal through the curtains on the other side. As he goes to spin the totem on the sink, Saito comes up behind him and interupts him and the totem just falls onto the ground, falling over. So basically cobb never gets confirmation that he actually woke up. The whole rest of the movie could have occured whilst cobb was asleep in the chemist's basement...something to ponder over eh? :lol:

PS i went and saw the movie a second time just to pick up on this point lol

SIMid
3rd August 2010, 08:25 PM
I think the height of the fall has to be taken into account. Not just a jump off a railing or else they would be kicked everytime they slipped on a banana. :p

SIMid
U beat me to it Sooty! *LOL*

hazrd
remember when they were testing the strength of the sedative? they were pushing each other off their chairs to test how strong it was werent they?

otherwise they would have been rooted when the van came off the bridge...

guy 27
3rd August 2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939332

hazrd
3rd August 2010, 08:29 PM
:lol:

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 08:42 PM
remember when they were testing the strength of the sedative? they were pushing each other off their chairs to test how strong it was werent they?...

Exactly, falling off a chair is enough of a kick but not falling over a railing a few meters into snow?

sooty
3rd August 2010, 08:44 PM
Exactly, falling off a chair is enough of a kick but not falling over a railing a few meters into snow?
that's 3 layers up though. who knows the dependence of kicks on level. Also in that kick they were asleep, and woke up due to the kick in the level above (reality), for that fall to have woken him up, first he would have had to have been asleep in the next level which they never reached unless you call limbo that next level, and he was never there.

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 08:50 PM
As he goes to spin the totem on the sink, Saito comes up behind him and interupts him and the totem just falls onto the ground, falling over. So basically cobb never gets confirmation that he actually woke up.

Agreed, but WE the viewer get the confirmation, so it's certainly NOT a dream becuase the totem in fact tumbles over.

PS i went and saw the movie a second time just to pick up on this point lol

need to do this......

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 08:51 PM
that's 3 layers up though. who knows the dependence of kicks on level. Also in that kick they were asleep, and woke up due to the kick in the level above (reality), for that fall to have woken him up, first he would have had to have been asleep in the next level which they never reached unless you call limbo that next level, and he was never there.

you lost me......

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 08:57 PM
for reference purposes, these are the levels IMO.

Reality
Level 1 - White Van
Level 2 - Zero Gravity
Level 3 - Snow
Level 4 - Limbo / Cobb and Mal's dream world

sooty
3rd August 2010, 09:01 PM
Agreed, but WE the viewer get the confirmation, so it's certainly NOT a dream

No, because it isn't spun properly, it's not like it spins in it's normal gyroscopic manner then falls over. There's no test performed, we don't know he woke up.

As for my other point. Ok, so say in the testing, reality is level 1, and the dream is level 2. To wake up from level 2, the sensation of falling occurs in level 1.

Now in your snow example, the sensation of falling occurs in the bottom most dream, which would only act as a kick if there were in fact a dream layer below that. (the person has to be dreaming/corpse like) in the level for the kick to work.
Ie unconscious on the plane (timer runs out on plane, waking them up)
Unconcsious in the van (falling van wakes up lift)
Unconscious in the lift (falling lift wakes up snow)
So you can see falling in the snow has no level below it to wake up

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 09:07 PM
ok so we assume that Fischer and Architect didn't just fall from the building, they fell to their death to get out of limbo. got it now.

on another point, it would be impossible for the lift / elevator to fall in zero gravity therfore the punch from the C4's shockwave must have provided the kick.

sooty
3rd August 2010, 09:10 PM
ok so we assume that Fischer and Architect didn't just fall from the building, they fell to their death to get out of limbo. got it now.

on another point, it would be impossible for the lift / elevator to fall in zero gravity therfore the punch from the C4's shockwave must have provided the kick.
Lol, you got it!
As for the c4 bit, I was kinda sceptical, that is the idea that the force of the explosion pushed it, but it shoulda just blown the crap out of the lift :lol:

guy 27
3rd August 2010, 09:11 PM
from my random spam

http://blastr.com/assets_c/2010/07/NewInceptionInfographic-thumb-550x825-43762.jpg

JMZ
3rd August 2010, 09:12 PM
haha yeah true.

i'd rate the movie cose to a 9 / 10.

that timeline is su-weet!

sooty
3rd August 2010, 09:15 PM
haha yeah true.

i'd rate the movie cose to a 9 / 10.
Despite the minor flaws I loved it, it's def in my top 5 list