PDA

View Full Version : warranties and clutches -_-'

c.suttie
3rd August 2010, 06:02 PM
So after my clutch on my 07 astra sri turbo goes after having my car for 2 and a half months, i decide to send it back to the dealer, whos mechanic tells me after that it is a wear and tear item and therefore is not covered, and has now quoted me 2 grand for a new clutch from a holden dealer? rubbish? i have no idea so i thought id ask you guys.. and maybe there's after market solutions that probally better suit my car? any info would be appreciated

cheers guys

sooty
3rd August 2010, 06:05 PM
could get a heavy duty courtenay clutch kit and get it fitted at a much better mechanic than holden for a lot cheaper.
Yes it's a wear and tear item...and unfortunately it seems like whoever had the car before you either put a lot of k's on the car, or just beat the crap out of it, either that or it's a weak piece of crap (also possible)

c.suttie
3rd August 2010, 06:13 PM
its got about 54,000 k's on it i heard somewhere they last 60,000 or maybe i imagined it... a friend of mine said i could snap a gear if i put a heavy duty clutch in?

SIMid
3rd August 2010, 08:21 PM
whos mechanic tells me after that it is a wear and tear item and therefore is not covered, and has now quoted me 2 grand for a new clutch from a holden dealer?
cheers guys

It's a big job on the AH Ts to change the clutch, thats why it's $2K (with a big amount on labour).

boorny88
4th August 2010, 09:22 AM
yeah wear and tear items arent covered under any extended warranties unless you get some fancy warranty. i think the only way it would be covered is if it went bang and absolutly distroyed it self but due to wear no it wont be. but 54000kms aint alot

nuggz
4th August 2010, 09:33 AM
60ks aint alot
but if its been abused or previous owner didnt know how to drive manual and held half clutch alot, its possible i guess

i wouldn't worry too much about a heavy duty clutch breaking gears, the wheels will spin before that happens
i think the holden estimated labor time is around 8 hours for this car?

delemonte
4th August 2010, 11:04 AM
Sounds like the previous owner hammered it a fair bit cos 54k ain't much...
A nice excuse to go for an uprated clutch tho... and maybe an LSD while you're at it ;)

nigelh
4th August 2010, 11:50 AM
2k sounds to expensive, I would get the car towed to another workshop. get a courtenay clutch maybe see if they will do a deal if you get quaife at the same time.
Most workshops should be able to replace the clutch in a day easy on a Astra H.
I've replaced clutchs at 30k before it's just how the car has been driven and luck of the draw.

c.suttie
4th August 2010, 06:21 PM
had a chat to the dept of fair trading nsw, they say because i havnt had the car for over 3 months that the only items they can wipe there hands of are the tyres and the batteries, and today i got a final quote of 4 grand... lovely.... definetly gonna fight this one out till the end im not paying that much after paying 24 grand for a car ! so i need a new flywheel at 1200.. a new pressure plate, a clutch plate, and a clutch slave cyllender... with geniune holden screws apparently..

SIMid
4th August 2010, 07:09 PM
Most workshops should be able to replace the clutch in a day easy on a Astra H.

No it's not, not on a AH SRiT.

I had my clutch done to my AH-T (heavy duty with a lightened flywheel) and it's a big job. It does take a day, because the subframe needs to be dropped to get to the clutch, not like the TS. My mechanic (Holden mech BTW) said it is a huge job, not just loosen something, and slide it in.

I even rang several mechanics to get quotes and majority would not touch it or, will bill me by the hour as they had no idea how long it will take.

I believe U could get it replaced for around $1500-1800 with an aftermarket clutch from the UK. But do your research and make sure the mechanic knows what they are doing, as the one I found didn't (and they call themselves clutch experts) and made a meal out of it, so I took my Holden mech (wish I found him sooner) to rectify it. She's all good and back to perfect! :) Mizled drove it and was impressed. :p