PDA

View Full Version : CANBUS 1/2 - Full - etc...Newbie, go easy

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 09:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to this board. Have just picked up an 03 CDXI Vectra and from what I've determined, it's "1/2 CANBUS" whatever that means.

I've googled...and not found much.

Where can I find out more information on it? What does it mean? What does it mean if I want to make changes to things? Aftermarket stereos etc?

Specifically, I've seen this which looks tempting...China issues aside, would it work in my early Vectra C?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AES-HOLDEN-VECTRA-SAT-NAV-CAR-DVD-GPS-NAVIGATION-ASTRA-/320532363642?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa137b97a

I'm assuming this falls into the 1/2 vs full CANBUS and wouldn't work?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

auzvectra
3rd August 2010, 09:37 AM
there was a change ova from non canbus h/unit to a canbus h/unit mid model. i can recall the yr model but i think it's the mp3 h/units that are canbus.

it sounds like it's suited to either, but only way really would be to ask them.

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 10:21 AM
It it's canbus ready it will work.. The vectra c never got full canbus in Australia as far as I was aware on the facelift shape which we never got..

Canbus deems to control of most electronics in the car and sensors. It controls your steering wheels controls and display, so if this unit is canbus ready it should be plug and play.

Check out ttints they distribute a headunit called the vxmmi it's more expensive and benefits over that Chinese version are still unknown as no one has bought the chinese one yet.. But the vxmmi is a good peice of kit only negative to them is the load time on mp3s (some software versions had track recognition problems) and also the colour match isn't 100% but that's just cosmetic.

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 11:23 AM
Correct, your's is half canbus. We got the full canbus veccy's somewhere in 04. The way to tell is if you have buttons on the steering wheel or the wheels ;) As said by auzvectra, best to speak to them about it. i know another unit I looked at for my 1/2 canbus vectra wouldn't work but that was a while ago now.

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys...how can I work out how much CANBUS we got? I've read threads everywhere that says it's half...which half?

Does it mean things like cheap cheerful HID's won't work?

I don't have buttons on my wheels (:)) but do on my steering wheel...has the stock 2620 which was across all Vectra C's until the MY05 change.

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 11:35 AM
Oh wow we did get full canbus then.. Well that sucks. Canbus = the devil.

Think Rory is saying if u have half canbus ur volume buttons will be buttons and if full canbus it will be turn knob thingys..

Even if u half canbus they still control headlight wattage. You will need a 55w kit as the 35w ones will trip an error

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 11:41 AM
Yup, as brenton said above ;) And lol at the wheels comment, i just read it back. i meant if you had scroll wheels on your steering wheel :p

In reference to your stereo, 1/2 canbus still requires the code to be entered where as the full canbus stereos are mated to you display screen. Where abouts are you located?

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 12:01 PM
Yep definitely buttons...so 1/2 canbus. no scrolly wheel things. I'm in Canberra. I can imagine the conversation with these people won't be easy...I'm thinking they'll expect full canbus.

Is it as simple as things like the steering wheel buttons not working anymore? Or much more catastrophic, and the thing simply won't work?

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 12:02 PM
Oh and 55w HID kits are now around the $60-$70 delivered...I think I read the projector globes in the Vectra C are H7?

My previous cars I've had the 4300k ish temps...will hopefully stick with those.

M

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 12:04 PM
Yep definitely buttons...so 1/2 canbus. no scrolly wheel things. I'm in Canberra. I can imagine the conversation with these people won't be easy...I'm thinking they'll expect full canbus.

Is it as simple as things like the steering wheel buttons not working anymore? Or much more catastrophic, and the thing simply won't work?

Worst case scenario steering wheel buttons don't work and ur display just displays date and time no track info

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 12:10 PM
See...I could live with that using the Ebay example because all the info is displayed there...the alternative of nothing working (nor of being able to get it to work) is much more disconcerting. Does CANBUS mean that there's conventional wiring in the car? I've heard of CANBUS allowing single wire wiring looms...one wire to everywhere.

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 12:18 PM
It's pretty well all conventional wiring it's just canbus is a controller/ecu function that administers all/most electronics are working correctly..

I've got full canbus in my astra and have put in an aftermarket headunit and a canbus adapter so steering controls still function (the display shows nothing related to headunit anymore but) and I do get an error when I plug the car upto the computer just telling me it couldn't locate the "front entertainment unit" or whatever Opel called it.. It's had no effect on electronics in the car but at all and works fine.

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if the 1/2 canbus and full canbus plugs are the same so you would need to check that first. If all else fails there should be something on vectra-c.com

dynomatt
3rd August 2010, 12:30 PM
And am I right, that the VXMMI won't work in the 1/2 canbus? Reading the TT site it says post 2005.

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 12:42 PM
Think ur adapter/harness will be different.. U can probs make it work but it won't be plug and play

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 01:16 PM
Think ur adapter/harness will be different.. U can probs make it work but it won't be plug and play

Yep, just did an image search and they are different, 3rd and forth ones on the page http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Supplies,Electrical-accessories,Adapters-15709