PDA

View Full Version : which fuel ??

vectra_
1st August 2010, 10:37 PM
hi everyone ((:
just wanted to see what people think about the fuel companys...which one do you think its the best...

ive been using SHELL VPOWER 98 since ive got the car...i want to try MOBIL, heard people saying that MOBIL's better than SHELL...

Stance
1st August 2010, 10:59 PM
been using SHELL VPOWER 98 too
heard BP is the way to go, but more expensive

xplosv57
1st August 2010, 11:03 PM
honestly, if you can notice a difference between different fuel companies than ill be surpised.

i mean even same companies fuel can vary between outlets...

when i was at trade school, one of our teachers conducted a series of dyno runs with his car on different fuels, Mobil was the best of the 4 fuels he tested but the kW difference between the 4 was like 2 or 3 kW, and that could also be due to other conditions!!

guy 27
1st August 2010, 11:03 PM
I like to run my car on vodka :P

I use bp, mobil or caltex 98 octane fuels.

I stopped using shell when they gave me the shits with 1 bad batch of fuel.

metry
1st August 2010, 11:11 PM
we use 98 octane from any bp, shell, mobil and occasioanly caltex in both our cars.

gmonkey
2nd August 2010, 12:04 AM
I use 95 octane fuels as 98 octance fuel is pointless for a non turbo car.. Ussually fill up with whoever is near by when my light begins to flicker as brand quality levels are pretty equal now days. difference found won't be because of the brand but better chance of quality difference cause of the tanks at different stores...

gmonkey
2nd August 2010, 12:06 AM
Also our non turbo engines are optimized for 91/95 fuel so why bother with 98?? I've noticed no power gains and no increased economy..

Only times I use 98 over 95 now days is middle of summer and track day runs

IfSRi
2nd August 2010, 12:32 AM
Only prob with BP is that little issue of a leak in the gulf of Mexico.

some say 25,000 barrels, some say 100,000 barrels per day.

they lost my vote.

Jerram
2nd August 2010, 12:38 AM
i have no test proof, but i swear both of my cars have always run the best on Mobil 6000 (or whatever their 95 blend is). This is followed by BPs 95 and then Caltex Vortex which are about the same.

Ice
2nd August 2010, 12:49 AM
Only prob with BP is that little issue of a leak in the gulf of Mexico.

some say 25,000 barrels, some say 100,000 barrels per day.

they lost my vote.

It could have happened with anyone who wanted to buy that oil well. Just too much pressure under this one to be stopped by all their failsafe devices. It just happened to be BP's....bet their regretting it now, lol and you dont really want salt water running through your car either right ? ;)

Shay
2nd August 2010, 01:36 AM
i use 95 octane fuels as 98 octance fuel is pointless for a non turbo car.. Ussually fill up with whoever is near by when my light begins to flicker as brand quality levels are pretty equal now days. Difference found won't be because of the brand but better chance of quality difference cause of the tanks at different stores...

also our non turbo engines are optimized for 91/95 fuel so why bother with 98?? I've noticed no power gains and no increased economy..

Only times i use 98 over 95 now days is middle of summer and track day runs

WRONG!!!

our cars are made to run on a MINIMUM of 91/95 (depending on production year) and it does make a difference in NA cars, because the O2 outputs change and the ECU advances timing accordingly.

Also how have you not noticed an improvement in economy, i gained about 50km per tank (430km to 480km) with just a change in fuel, doin the exact same driving... i actually worked out the cost vs economy of the 2 and the 98 came out cheaper in the long run. Engine cleanliness is just a added bonus.

Also look at the dyno testing HPF did in one of their OZ garage episodes, im pretty sure there was at least a 5hp increase from 91 to 98.

Vectra_ to answer your question, i generally just use Caltex Vortex 98, as its my local and usually a good 10c cheaper than most other servos around my area.

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2010, 01:48 AM
And as you know... Never do what brenton says and use 91 in the Vectra C. Unless its an emergency. Minimum 95 but 98RON FTW! Either Caltex as above or the 98 at Peak.

Ice
2nd August 2010, 08:32 AM
Ive always used Premium Fuels, Vmax or BP ultimate regardless of the performance stats of my car. I couldnt tell you that I noticed much difference in economy or power but wouldnt you say its just better for your engine ?

hazrd
2nd August 2010, 10:30 AM
Used Vortex98 in all of my cars, never had any issues and has always performed well for me

nuggz
2nd August 2010, 10:36 AM
i used to only use Mobil 98
but have found smoother running on BP 98 after changing cams (go figure)
i will only use those 2

i used caltex once back on my 2.2 veccy and got alot less miles to the tank so haven't touched it since

just my personal experience

MAD-16V
2nd August 2010, 10:54 AM
98 all the way.

No choice of company - Was liking the Shell gear - But I honestly am getting better mileage from my car with whatever premium 98 fuel 7/11 is selling down the road, Go figure.

nuggz
2nd August 2010, 11:11 AM
98 all the way.

No choice of company - Was liking the Shell gear - But I honestly am getting better mileage from my car with whatever premium 98 fuel 7/11 is selling down the road, Go figure.

7/11 is Mobil

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 11:15 AM
im going to try mobil next.....yesterday i filled up half a tank with SHELL e10...its the first time im using under 98octane....

maloo97
2nd August 2010, 11:31 AM
V Power!

jastra
2nd August 2010, 12:14 PM
Also how have you not noticed an improvement in economy, i gained about 50km per tank (430km to 480km) with just a change in fuel, doin the exact same driving... i actually worked out the cost vs economy of the 2 and the 98 came out cheaper in the long run. Engine cleanliness is just a added bonus.
I agree with shay on this one deffinantly noticed better economy and slightly better acceceration tho nothing too special lol
I use bp98 or caltex vortex 98 because when you think about it per tank you really are only paying about an extra 5$ to go premium...

nigelh
2nd August 2010, 12:42 PM
Shay is almost correct the ecu uses the knock sensor to advance and retrim the timing. GM/Opel call it active knock controll or something like that. :)

Wraith
2nd August 2010, 12:56 PM
Good grief...

Gimme a buck for everytime someones started a fuel or oil preference thread and we'll all be rich :lol:

Seriously as Steve's pointed out there are so many variables that can come into it causing this person to claim this or that one is better or not than the other one, even I've noticed variances from one to another...

Just stick to whatever one suits you or the needs of your cars engine best and hope you don't cop a bad batch from whatever servo your regularly going too...

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 09:04 PM
i wont be using SHELL e10 again...

PrincessPeachey
2nd August 2010, 09:49 PM
I usually run Caltex 95. Just have a preference for Caltex and Mobil - might have been because I had a free fuelcard for both?? Hehehe.

I tried running 91 for a while - was alright the first 2 tanks, but after a while you could feel the car changing and having more problems.. so back to 95 and she's apples.

Pretty sure the label on the inside of my bonnet says that its meant to run 91.. but I'd rather spend the extra $4 a tank to go with 95. I don't really see the point in running 98.

E10 is something I've considered running, but over here you can only get it from places like Liberty, and I don't really trust them very much.. and I'm not too sure how it would actually go in my engine.

What happened to you Vectra_?

metry
2nd August 2010, 09:49 PM
i wont be using SHELL e10 again...
I once had someone try convince me e10 was better for your engine as it cleans it. ill stick to 98 thank you very much

Shay
2nd August 2010, 10:00 PM
dont think ANY of our opels are ok to run E10, as its an ethanol blend, and can cause premature failure in fuel lines.

Ethanol eats away at rubber lines...
so unless you're gonna change you lines and get your car tuned for it its not worth it.
it still only ends up having about a 95RON rating.

and in a dyno comparison i watched IIRC it made less power than regular 95 Unleaded.

[OPCSRi]
2nd August 2010, 10:10 PM
All the cars at home use Mobil Synergy 8000 (98 RON) But now that seven eleven have bought Mobil out i'm changing to BP Ulimate.

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 10:35 PM
I usually run Caltex 95. Just have a preference for Caltex and Mobil - might have been because I had a free fuelcard for both?? Hehehe.

I tried running 91 for a while - was alright the first 2 tanks, but after a while you could feel the car changing and having more problems.. so back to 95 and she's apples.

Pretty sure the label on the inside of my bonnet says that its meant to run 91.. but I'd rather spend the extra $4 a tank to go with 95. I don't really see the point in running 98.

E10 is something I've considered running, but over here you can only get it from places like Liberty, and I don't really trust them very much.. and I'm not too sure how it would actually go in my engine.

What happened to you Vectra_?

you can actually feel that the fuel is crap while your driving...the car use to be so smooth, now its all flat spots...im not a BP fan, because of the leak, i dont trust that there fuel is really clean...so i will be using mobil or shell v power..

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 01:27 AM
dont think ANY of our opels are ok to run E10, as its an ethanol blend, and can cause premature failure in fuel lines.

Ethanol eats away at rubber lines...
so unless you're gonna change you lines and get your car tuned for it its not worth it.
it still only ends up having about a 95RON rating.

and in a dyno comparison i watched IIRC it made less power than regular 95 Unleaded.

Astra h's are e10 capable says on my fuel cap

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 01:39 AM
And as you know... Never do what brenton says and use 91 in the Vectra C. Unless its an emergency. Minimum 95 but 98RON FTW! Either Caltex as above or the 98 at Peak.

Sigh.. Read what I wrote again mate :p I didn't suggest 91 at all I did however suggest 98 was pointless over 95. Our engines are optimized for 95.

Yes ur timing advances to a "standard level" it doesn't increase or decrease ur timing it levels out. Only positive is in conditions of hot weather where ur timing is retarded cause of air density that this could reduce the effects.

Shay our engines automatically adjust to the stoli ratio anyway u should know this by now.. If ur car is honestly running rich/lean without being turbo/boosted it's not fuel that is the problem it's much worse..:p

I do agree to the fact 91 is pretty rubbish in modern engines but 95 is perfectly fine and the comparasion to 98 is next to non existant..

I've filled up with 95 and 98 and had no change in max range levels and my average burn was the same. Economy difference was within 10km difference (marginal and barely worth mentioning)

JohnBu
3rd August 2010, 12:30 PM
BP, if only for the fact I get 5% off using the BP Citibank Credit Card.

FYI- I'm pretty sure BP Ultimate/Mobil 98, comes out of the same refinery in Melbourne.

Otherwise, I've no issues with Shell/Mobil/Caltex 98.

Only a petrol sniffer could probably tell conclusively which fuels they prefer in a double blind test, and I bet they don't favour the BP Opal Petrol supplied in the outback.

xplosv57
3rd August 2010, 12:33 PM
Only a petrol sniffer could probably tell conclusively which fuels they prefer in a double blind test, and I bet they don't favour the BP Opal Petrol supplied in the outback.

hahahaha nice one John!!

ChrisMaz
4th August 2010, 03:53 AM
For some posts on the previous page.

If Corolla's don't like E10... I Doubt ANY Opel will like E10.

Question, what fuel company provides fuel to Peak outlets? I've found their 98 got me much better consumption than caltex. But slightly below BP

gman
4th August 2010, 07:29 AM
The only fuels I've ever actually noticed a difference with were from United independent.

Their Boost98 and Premium100 both made a difference. They use CSR ethanol and the Premium100 uses 98 fuel stock instead of the normal 95.

Of course it could have just been a placebo. :)

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 03:14 AM
Peak and United use the same fuel apparently and I have to agree with Gman. They are excellent fuels, also generally a lot cheaper than most of the Supermarket brands.

EDIT:

They also have TV's on top of their pumps to keep you entertained :p