PDA

View Full Version : In here for guidance and help

allan55
1st August 2010, 08:58 PM
I have joined the forum to access the combined knowledge of its members. My 01 Zafira suffered what seems to be a major engine failure during the week. The was a rattling noise which became a loud rattling noise and then the car wouldn't go above about 50 km/hr.
It was driven straight to our mechanic who found a disturbing lack of oil although no low oil pressure light came on (sound familiar). With a change of oil the rattling sound is still there but the car can be driven normally and doesn't seem to be blowing smoke. It was driven straight home, about 5 mins, and sits waiting. The mechanic said it would need a new motor but I have decided to try and find out the damage first. I will post a thread in the Zafira section to follow the progress. Any advice gladly accepted.

sooty
1st August 2010, 09:03 PM
Firstly welcome to OA mate, sad to hear about the zaffy!
I'm not too sure of what the issue could be, but i'm sure there'll be guys able to help posting in no time.

guy 27
1st August 2010, 09:05 PM
i have one sitting in my yard that suffered the exact same problem.

DO NOT drive it any more. your timing chain tensioner has given up and your chain will snap at any given moment.
when it snaps it becomes a very costly excersise.

i suggest that you order a timing chain kit and balance chain kit and get the car TOWED to a mechanic to do the work.

to give you an idea of the damage it will very well cause. using the one i bought as an example.

requires new inlet valves, exhaust valves, full set of rocker arms, exhaust cam shaft, 4 new pistons, chains, reconditioning of head, cylinder bores honed.

in parts alone i have been quoted over $1000 ($2500 from holden) and thats still not including the labour that i will have to do on it.

allan55
1st August 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks guy. Taking your advice seriously. Where is the best place for parts? The sad thing is the zafira has been a fantastic car, we have put 180K on it and used it for everything from family holidays to acting as a roadie for the sons band, to shifting furniture. A very versatile car.

sooty
1st August 2010, 09:22 PM
If you're not in a massive rush, get them from Autovaux in the UK, you have to call them rather than email them, but you'll save literally half your money when compared to buying from holden, if not more.

guy 27
1st August 2010, 09:27 PM
autovaux in the uk will be the cheapest.

I should hopefully have an answer from them tomorrow night in regards to costing as they should be slightly cheaper than a quote a got from another place in the uk.

if you require the parts more urgently, holden are $450 for the timing chain kit but they do not list the balance chain kit on their system. you can probably get away without doing the balance chain but i would get it done for peace of mind as well as getting the front main seal done ($20). The water pump will be fine unless there is any sign of weeping around its gasket.

The zafira is great for the things you have done. the engine in it is very reliable as long as you keep your eye on the oil levels and regularly service it. the 2.2 is know to use oil, in some cases as much as 500ml per 1000km is said to be normal by vauxhall.

metry
1st August 2010, 11:09 PM
welcome to oa. hope you get your zafira back on the road soon. theyre a top car

maloo97
2nd August 2010, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the site, Hope you get back on the road soon,
Btw where you from ?

allan55
2nd August 2010, 10:21 PM
Lake Macquarie area. Found some great guides over at z22se.co.uk and I may have a chance this weekend to see what the damage is. I should have all the tools required as I fiddle around with bikes a bit.