PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid headed for production

poita
29th July 2010, 08:16 AM
Thoughts on a Porsche hybrid :lol:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/report-porsche-approves-918-spyder-for-production/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/07/s100231a5.jpg

As expected, the Porsche supervisory board has approved the development of the 918 Spyder concept into a series production model. The 918 debuted as a concept at this year's Geneva Motor Show with a plug-in hybrid powertrain claimed to provide 78 miles per gallon.

The concept used a 500-horsepower V8 along with a pair of electric motors with 109 hp each and a lithium ion battery that can provide 16 miles of emissions-free driving from grid energy. The powertrain is not expected to be changed much for production and Porsche has not announced when 918 will be available. There has been speculation that the production model could cost up to €500,000 (about $650,000 USD), although if it comes to the States, it should be eligible for a federal tax credit. Even with up to $7,500 it still makes the Chevrolet Volt look downright cheap.

gmonkey
29th July 2010, 11:44 AM
Other than the wheels I don't mind it to look at.. Will it sell... Probably not

But yay!! No more crap sounding boxer engine!

Wraith
30th July 2010, 11:05 PM
Well price and endurance on electric power plant alone on this Porker are laughable but IMO most if not all types of future full and or hybrid electric cars will really take off, so to speak...

They're only going to get better and better and will eventually replace internal combustion engines, it's just a matter of time, they've already started with the hybrid thing and eventually go to full electric across the board !

Manufacturers everywhere are doing it now with their hi po models...

The next Mitsu Evo (Evo 11) is said to be a hybrid vehicle and there will be a hybrid Nissan 370Z next year too...the results of these will be interesting :sosp:

gmonkey
30th July 2010, 11:22 PM
when will they realise hybrids sucks... if your going to do something green and friendly dont do a half arsed job and stick a battery engine on side of a normal engine theres no point, more so when a diesel is still better... Honda's Clarity is the best ive seen so far still for a manufacturer going out on a limb and just showing the motoring world look try something different it doesnt have to be petrol the way we know it...

also IMO cars like porsches and evos and 370z should never ever be hybrid or eco cars cause thats not there role in the world... they arent cars u see everywhere and everyday. People who own them dont drive them often anyway, they are the weekend drive cars. Doing this to every car to get an image that your not an evil corporation killing the world to a bunch of tree hugging hippies is complete utter shit. fuk the hippies i want my GTR to swallow 30L/100km and have 400+hp and i sure as hell dont want my power figures to be the same as friggen light globe.

I WAIT FOR THE DAY WHERE A CAR HAS ONE OF THESE ON THE FRONT WINDSCREEN INSTEAD OF FUEL ECONOMY, it will be a sad day in motoring :(

http://www.energysave.energyaustralia.com.au/__data/assets/image/0019/1585/EnergyStarRatingLabel.jpg

xplosv57
31st July 2010, 08:38 PM
368kW.........

3.2l/100km......

ID HAVE ONE!!

Heck if they can get that kind of performance and economy using hybrid technology then im all for it, the reason why most 'purists' hate hybrid is due to their lacklustre performance but this Porsche deletes that issue altogether!!

gmonkey
31st July 2010, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure ud find performance of the 3l/100km is just highway running on battery only and small probs only 10kw worth of engine use. The 368kw wouldn't use the electric at all and just be excess weight when u want it to be a performance car and with these cars pretty much all the time...

Wraith
1st August 2010, 10:56 AM
368kW.........

3.2l/100km......

ID HAVE ONE!!

Heck if they can get that kind of performance and economy using hybrid technology then im all for it, the reason why most 'purists' hate hybrid is due to their lacklustre performance but this Porsche deletes that issue altogether!!

I agree...that's what it's all about.

Beginnings of all these sort of things are never that great, but they always improve and eventually they'll become the norm !

I'm sure performance based vehicles are getting plenty of exposure to electric/hybrid alternatives to begin the evntual transformation of the current mind set to such vehicles...

There's plenty of promise and potential there, true battery packs arn't the way forward (IMHO hydrogen cell electric power will be the future) but this is the evolutionary path for now...

If you go back to when the 1st mechanical means of transport started appearing to replace the horse and cart, I'm sure the general reactions would've been the same and so on when steam was replaced with fossil fuel internal combustion etc.

I'm just curious about time frame on these things, don't think we'll ever see the best of them in our life time...