View Full Version : First car crushed in victoria under anti-hooning laws

poita
28th July 2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/newsroom/11293.html

thoughts?

HOON CAR CRUSHED AS LAWS SET TO GET STRONGER AGAIN
From the Minister for Police & Emergency Services
Wednesday, 28 July 2010

A serial hoon driver today had his car crushed as the Brumby Labor Government moves to strengthen and simplify anti-hoon legislation.

It has been four years since hoon laws were introduced in Victoria, and Police Minister Bob Cameron said further legislation would soon be introduced into the Parliament to help police sell or crush hoon drivers’ forfeited cars.

“In the four years since we introduced our tough anti-hoon laws, Victoria Police have taken more than 11,370 hoon drivers off the road by impounding their cars,” Mr Cameron said.

The most common makes of car impounded by Victoria Police are:

* Holden (46.3 per cent);
* Ford (16.7 per cent);
* Nissan (7.8 per cent);
* Toyota (5.1 per cent); and,
* Honda (4.3 per cent).

“With a road toll that is higher than the same time last year and as part of our ongoing efforts to save lives on the roads, we are taking our laws further which will see hoon cars such as this one today crushed for good,” Mr Cameron said.

“Any car that is unfit for the road and fits the penalty criteria will be crushed, with others that are fit to drive sold and the proceeds directed towards victims of crime.

“Our Government flagged these changes earlier this year to send a clear message to Victoria’s serial hoon drivers that we will crush or sell your car to make sure you get the message – and today is proof that’s what we’ll do.”

Police today crushed the Holden Commodore of a 22-year-old serial hoon driver from Hamilton who had recorded three hoon driving offences, owned his car outright and was considered a public danger on the roads.

“As the car does not meet Victoria's strict resale safety standards and is owned outright by the driver, it will be used by VICSES volunteers to practice their road rescue skills before being crushed,” Mr Cameron said.

“Serial hoon drivers pose a serious threat to law-abiding road users. If they can’t learn to use their cars in a safe and responsible way, then we’ll take it off them.”

The additional powers will extend the period of impoundment for a first offence from 48 hours to seven days, introduce a mandatory period of immobilisation or impoundment of 28 days for a second offence and give police the powers to immobilise cars by fitting a steering wheel lock.

Mr Cameron said the proposed amendments would clarify and simplify issues relating to ownership and vehicles subject to finance, and will also allow police to impound cars for a wider range of offences, adding repeat offences of unlicensed driving and repeat drink-drivers and drug drivers.

He said repeat hoon drivers would have to meet strict criteria to prove exceptional hardship to avoid losing their cars.

Since the anti-hoon regime was introduced four years ago, 11,376 cars have been impounded for a first offence. Just over five per cent (583 impoundments) were for a second offence, while less than two per cent (184) were for a third offence.

Mr Cameron said males under the age of 31 comprise 80.6 per cent of hoon offenders, with offenders most likely to live in St Albans, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Mildura, Shepparton, Frankston, Mill Park, Craigieburn, Meadow Heights or Reservoir.

Over the past four years, Bendigo has the highest number of hoon impoundments (435), followed by Broadmeadows (394), Epping (314), Frankston (323), Keilor Downs (313) and Werribee (307).

glider
28th July 2010, 11:16 AM
Despite what he's done, I wonder if he could take them to court for compensation...

nuggz
28th July 2010, 11:17 AM
Im all for it
if they're not going to learn their lesson, so be it.
if it results in potentially saving 1 life, then its worth it.

2002_XC
28th July 2010, 11:21 AM
about ****ing time.

It is important to remember that they are crushing cars that are unsafe or unroadworthy.

So if their cars are roadworthy, they wont be crushed.

I'm for anything that removes these hazards off the roads

hazrd
28th July 2010, 11:26 AM
Hoppers Crossing

oh dear

with others that are fit to drive sold and the proceeds directed towards victims of crime.

translation... victims of crime = new police cars

The most common makes of car impounded by Victoria Police are:

* Ford (16.7 per cent);
* Nissan (7.8 per cent);
* Honda (4.3 per cent).

no opels there, all clear :p

issues relating to ownership and vehicles subject to finance
sweet, so as long as we all have a secured loan, the cars cant be crushed

i do understand their cause, because in no way do i condone the type of driving these people do... but in all seriousness... crushing the car does NOTHING... cars dont drive stupid... people drive cars stupid

root cause
take the PEOPLE off the road, not the cars :rolleyes:

and no, im not saying crush the people :lol: lock them up

heres a good example:
i have 3 cars, crush one... who gives a fuk, still means i have 2 more i can hoon around in

forgot to add... i understand the whole "crush an unroadworthy car etc" ... so does that mean we should crush EVERY car thats sitting in a spare parts lot??

why not write the car off... add it to the written off vehicles register, then auction it off for wreckers or someone who needs the spares, that way theres proceeds going to the new police car fund victims of crime, and there isnt extra money spent in actually using the machine and labour used to control the machine to crush it......

2002_XC
28th July 2010, 11:33 AM
in the herald sun they said that if a vehicle was financed, then it would be sold, pay off the bank, and any additional funds go to victims of crime, which is independant from victoria police. it is a fund set up by the court to support victims of crime (ie, lose your leg in a car accident caused by some idiot driving high on drugs, you get a certain amount of money as compensation

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 11:44 AM
Costs us more to lock up the dickheads that it does to crush their cars. Serves themselves right I say.

hazrd
28th July 2010, 11:46 AM
Costs us more to lock up the dickheads that it does to crush their cars. Serves themselves right I say.

but how much more does it cost when they jump behind the wheel of another car and kill some one......... all because crushing their car did nothing.....

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 12:10 PM
but how much more does it cost when they jump behind the wheel of another car and kill some one......... all because crushing their car did nothing.....

Not saying there shouldn't be further action, but the current system obviously isnt working. If they get fined, they can pay off a dollar a week if they really wanted to so doesn't impact them. Taking their car and crushing it means an instant hit to them.

auzvectra
28th July 2010, 12:55 PM
personnaly i like the idea of crushing, or atleast removing an "unroadworthy" car from the streets. but also keep in mind that the cop really push the point of where roadworthy is if they dont like the person or if they give them cheek (which i will laugh at the driver who gets screwed for givin the cops cheek when it isnt called for at all) i have seen it happen many times, and heard many more stories of cars being deemed unroadworthy just cause there wasnt nething else to get them for. although i dont see this as much these days, that may be my lack of participation in the scene aswell, but back in the day cops measuring ride height with a fully loaded car "3-4ppl in it", um no. unladden thanks.

i'll leave it at that, cause i dont want to blow this up at all and i can see both sides from personal experience aswell. although i have only had the 1 hit of hooning yrs ago (commodore days :p) it's a worry that if i was to do it twice more i would loose the car, not that i plan too. i actually drive like a granny "most" the time :).

SIMid
28th July 2010, 12:57 PM
About time. Serial offenders need to take notice.

ROCCO
28th July 2010, 12:59 PM
and no, im not saying crush the people :lol: lock them up

HAZRD FOR PREMIER....only if you promise to crush the people!

Wraith
28th July 2010, 01:11 PM
Also agree with the majority of the pack here...

Especially as said being the case for 'serial' offenders - definitely take means away from them permanantly !!!

They can then take their stupid, irresponsible behaviour back to the street on push bikes :lol:

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 01:21 PM
personnaly i like the idea of crushing, or atleast removing an "unroadworthy" car from the streets. but also keep in mind that the cop really push the point of where roadworthy is if they dont like the person or if they give them cheek (which i will laugh at the driver who gets screwed for givin the cops cheek when it isnt called for at all)

The good thing about that is that it isn't determined by the officer, it goes higher up the chain for that decision to be made.

It also states that the car will be stripped for parts and just the shell crushed so the legal parts can be sold off.

auzvectra
28th July 2010, 04:29 PM
The good thing about that is that it isn't determined by the officer, it goes higher up the chain for that decision to be made.

It also states that the car will be stripped for parts and just the shell crushed so the legal parts can be sold off.

woo hoo, give me that job. i love pulling things apart :p.

in qld atleast, not sure bout down there. u tend to get raped by a pissed off police prosecutor. when i was there like 8 yrs ago, the charge sounded more like an adventure novel them me drivin down the road with a lil too much speed. i give them credit but, their talent was wasted as a prosector :). hehe

i dont say it's wrong, but there is a reason the death penalty was removed, and it's not for humane reasons ;). laws and regulations can be faulted, simple as that. although i dont think i'm getin to any real point here. hahaha

can i strip the cars n keep the illegal parts for track cars :D.

jastra
28th July 2010, 04:33 PM
woo hoo, give me that job. i love pulling things apart :p.

+1 cept i always break things... spose it wouldnt matter in this situation :P

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 04:55 PM
can i strip the cars n keep the illegal parts for track cars :D.

Only if you share :p

xplosv57
28th July 2010, 05:12 PM
crushing cars is stupid.

like Adam said, crush one car, can just go buy another and hoon in that.

knew a guy who lost 72 demerit points and owned 6 cars, every time he went to court it was adjourned and legally was allowed to keep his license and just kept racking up points. In his case, crushing one car would make no diffeence for him cos he'd just go into his garage and pick another one to be stupid in.

NOW had he been thrown in jail straight away (which i believe he is doing now, this was a couple of years ago) or his court cases had been done on time, then he'd be off the roads and causing no trouble.

its the justice system that really fails, and this car crushing is just another measure so the justice system can avoid the actual issue.

plus surely instead of crushing, the car can be put to auction, they can be used for parts, seems like a waste.

poita
28th July 2010, 05:22 PM
they do auction them off

they only crush teh cars that are deemed un roadworthy or not worth selling

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 05:22 PM
its the justice system that really fails, and this car crushing is just another measure so the justice system can avoid the actual issue.

plus surely instead of crushing, the car can be put to auction, they can be used for parts, seems like a waste.

Agree with that point.

In regards putting the car to auction, the only ones that are getting crushed are the highly illegaly modded ones so all the legal parts are still being retained but the illegal ones are destroyed.

Yes some people have more cars than they know what to do with but as you've seen, doesn't matter what deterent you use, they just don't care. This is aimed to deter the fence sitters. As Adam said, if it takes 1 person off the street that could kill someone it's worth it. In the same token, if it deters one person from doing the same thing it's worth it.

xplosv57
28th July 2010, 05:24 PM
Agree with that point.

In regards putting the car to auction, the only ones that are getting crushed are the highly illegaly modded ones so all the legal parts are still being retained but the illegal ones are destroyed.

they do auction them off

they only crush teh cars that are deemed un roadworthy or not worth selling

oh really, i wasn't aware of that, might have to head out to the auctions!!!

IfSRi
28th July 2010, 05:38 PM
That proves that Nissan drivers per capita are the worst hoons.

nuggz
28th July 2010, 05:42 PM
That proves that Nissan drivers per capita are the worst hoons.

I dont follow?

IfSRi
28th July 2010, 05:55 PM
* Ford (16.7 per cent);
* Nissan (7.8 per cent);
* Honda (4.3 per cent).

Nissan (and Honda) are not in the top 3 selling manufacturers.

auzvectra
28th July 2010, 08:35 PM
Agree with that point.

Yes some people have more cars than they know what to do with but as you've seen, doesn't matter what deterent you use, they just don't care. This is aimed to deter the fence sitters. As Adam said, if it takes 1 person off the street that could kill someone it's worth it. In the same token, if it deters one person from doing the same thing it's worth it.

i still stand by my statement ages ago. get ppl on the track and any1 with reasonable commonsense wont be doin the stupid stuff on the streets, if even just not as often. 1 step is better then none :).

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 08:57 PM
i still stand by my statement ages ago. get ppl on the track and any1 with reasonable commonsense wont be doin the stupid stuff on the streets, if even just not as often. 1 step is better then none :).

I drive alot more sensibly on the road since i've started doing track work!

auzvectra
28th July 2010, 09:51 PM
I drive alot more sensibly on the road since i've started doing track work!

yep, exactly :). which is why we want a more accessible track up here :D.

poita
28th July 2010, 09:57 PM
yep, exactly :). which is why we want a more accessible track up here :D.

join, support, help us :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/WideBayMotorComplex?ref=ts

Nurb608
28th July 2010, 10:26 PM
join, support, help us :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/WideBayMotorComplex?ref=ts

Done!

auzvectra
29th July 2010, 08:39 AM
done ages ago :p.

Nurb608
30th July 2010, 01:43 PM
Just read today, they are thinking about donating the shells of the cars to emergency services so they can practice on them with the jaws of life etc. That's an even better plan!