PDA

View Full Version : need some springs, helpp??

vectra_
26th July 2010, 06:44 PM
hi everyone, i ordered my simota carbon air filter today...now i have to get some springs to lower the car ((:

im thinking of getting KINGS springs super low....are they any good? and also do they make SUPER LOW for vectra pre facelift v6 3.2 ???

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 06:53 PM
Don't do it!

Eibach Pro kit, sure more expensive but they lower the car and improve handling massively.

Other guys using Lovells seem to be very impressed with them also.

From this:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/2369_143796200120_630565120_6042515_2103_n.jpg

To This:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs097.ash2/38185_10150243921205121_630565120_13645073_4250008 _n.jpg

EDIT:

Should have asked as well, are you driving a CD, CDX or CDXi?

The CDXi's were already a little lower than the CD-CDX and you can expect a bigger drop from those two models.

Nurb608
26th July 2010, 06:54 PM
As above ;)

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:06 PM
so KINGS no good?

yeh its a cdxi....and also because the cdxi is lower bit more, is it enough to get 35 mm ?? :s

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 07:10 PM
You'll get a 30mm drop all round. They are superior in quality to Kings in every aspect.

With lower springs, you will eventually have to get new shocks as well. But theres no real rush to replace them. I drove on the Eibachs for 8 months until I got new shocks.

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:13 PM
hımm...why dont they make super lows for vectras :/

then i have to get KINGS 30mm...do you know where i can find a good deal on the net? (:

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 07:18 PM
You'll find heaps manufacturers don't make anything for the Vectra mate :(

Still, wouldn't go with kings, but if thats what you want, go for it.

I got my eibachs from greg at GSLrally. Very good to deal with.

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:32 PM
http://gslrallysport.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=18

how come it doesnt have prices ? :s

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 07:34 PM
Shoot him an email or pm him through the forum. He generally gets back to you within 48 hours.

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/member.php?2322-gslrallysport

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:35 PM
so its greg his username...ok ill send an pm

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Updated Previous post :D ^

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:39 PM
cool, ive sent hım a pm (:

ChrisMaz
26th July 2010, 07:41 PM
Time to post up some pics and introduce yourself in the intro section mate!

vectra_
26th July 2010, 07:54 PM
okkk(: i will in a minute(:

vectra_
1st August 2010, 06:51 PM
is PEDERS springs any good for vectras?? did anyone try peders springs ?

sooty
1st August 2010, 06:56 PM
Pedders springs are repainted kings I think, or lovells, I can't remember, but honestly your best bet is the eibachs.

vectra_
1st August 2010, 06:57 PM
i want eibachs as well but there too expensive....i heard that pedders are quality springs but to be sure i wanted to ask you guys to confirm (:

sooty
1st August 2010, 07:13 PM
Ask the guys at pedders whether they're a hot or cold wound spring. Cold wound springs like eibach are superior, they've much better control of spring rate, and a lot less likely to sag.
Hot winding springs is cheaper and takes less force, hence why they're cheaper, but their properties are inferior, and more likely to sag with time.

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 11:54 AM
i asked but he said he didnt no.. :s
ive booked in for friday, ill ask again on friday if its cold wound spring or not...
the guy said peders are one of the best springs, dont no if its true but it cant be that bad.. (: and if something goes wrong ill just take the car and get them to fix it...

does anyone have fitted super lows to their car, any picks???

nuggz
2nd August 2010, 12:05 PM
Pedders do not manufacture any suspension products themselves. The springs are King. The stacker springs AFAIK are specially made for Pedders, the rest is identical to the King Springs equivilents.

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 12:11 PM
oh didnt no that (: sooty mentioned it but he wasnt sure as well... (: so its good that its KINGS...

boorny88
2nd August 2010, 02:35 PM
kings will sag and arent the best of springs which is why most of us have eibach

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 03:25 PM
kings will sag and arent the best of springs which is why most of us have eibach

eibach is too expensive...ive been looking on the internet for a good deal with eibach springs, also its a fortune to get them fitted here...

boorny88
2nd August 2010, 03:31 PM
which is why most of us fitted them our selfs or with other OA members help

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2010, 03:31 PM
Look for Pi springs. Poms seem to find them pretty good. Or Lovells.

Just go to a small private suspension place. I found one in perth that installs both springs and shocks for 150 bucks.

Pi:

http://www.p-i.co.uk/pi-spring-kit-sportpack-vauxhall-vectra-c-20dti-22dti-32-v6-052002-lowers-30mm-60270_p1261965.htm

Spring quality ultimately comes down to price. If you're prepared to pay top price, you'll get top springs. If you're only going to spend an average amount, you'll get average springs.

My mentality is always do it once, do it right. Thats why I've paid essentially top dollar for my suspension upgrades.

boorny88
2nd August 2010, 03:38 PM
which place is that chris?

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2010, 03:40 PM
Airborne suspension. Pete the owners a top bloke, and he'll order any shocks or springs you want. He's also an approved Bilstein dealer.

vectra_
2nd August 2010, 06:02 PM
ill ask for PI and LOVELLS springs tmorrow...so these are better then pedders ?

gmonkey
2nd August 2010, 11:56 PM
Kings are the worst springs on the Aussie market IMO.. A lot of people right them off without testing/using them. I personally have I had them on my swift gti rally car (not lowering springs just meant to be stiffer) after a short rally and inspecting the car over at the workshop after I noticed a 30-40mm hairline split down the coil of the spring. Now I know that most cars don't go under that kind of force/pressure but after probably no more than 60kms on them you wouldn't expect it to have split.

adam_92
2nd August 2010, 11:59 PM
what about chopping your original springs? it doesnt cost 1 cent and you can lower it however much you want... save your money and dont buy kings

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 12:02 AM
what about chopping your original springs? it doesnt cost 1 cent and you can lower it however much you want... save your money and dont buy kings

+1 wouldn't be far off same quality as kings... Maybe even better :p

Shay
3rd August 2010, 12:03 AM
Hey mate, theres this radical new and extremely cost effective technique to lowering your car.
Its perfectly safe, believe me, i studied 1.5yrs of mechanical engineering. Shortening the standard vectra spring using a fast moving rotating abrasive disc.
Literally only cost about 10 bux plus the price of removal and refitting!!!

adam_92
3rd August 2010, 12:05 AM
Hey mate, theres this radical new and extremely cost effective technique to lowering your car.
Its perfectly safe, believe me, i studied 1.5yrs of mechanical engineering. Shortening the standard vectra spring using a fast moving rotating abrasive disc.
Literally only cost about 10 bux plus the price of removal and refitting!!!

i did mine while they were still in the car. saves time and money removing and refitting and now its fully sik and dumped on its arse. lower then super lows

nuggz
3rd August 2010, 12:25 AM
i did mine while they were still in the car. saves time and money removing and refitting and now its fully sik and dumped on its arse. lower then super lows

I hope your not being serious? because that is plain stupid
using a cutting device on a loaded spring is the worst idea i've heard

it is illegal to cut springs, if it is found in event of an accident, you will be liable
not to mention the handling dynamics will be off, extra stress on your shocks, more prone to hitting bumpstops

if your considering cutting, just go with the king/pedders springs.
if your looking to improve the handling of the car, save up for the real thing.

Shay
3rd August 2010, 12:27 AM
why ruin our fun nuggzy. not like anyone is listeninng in this thread anyway...

nuggz
3rd August 2010, 12:29 AM
just wanna make sure the kid doesnt get the wrong idea

cut springs is not ok

adam_92
3rd August 2010, 12:33 AM
haha you have a pm nuggz

vectra_
3rd August 2010, 02:14 AM
(:
did anyone have expriences with PI or Lovells? Chris mentioned earlier these brands, are these any better then KINGS...? i might go for one of these brands...
best option is EIBACH but whats the second best one? as i said eibach is too expensive

ChrisMaz
3rd August 2010, 02:45 AM
Never had experience with either PI or Lovells. Just heard good things. Shay and Brenton are running Lovells on their cars?

vectra_
3rd August 2010, 02:52 AM
I heard about lovells as well..ill just get a price tmorrow..how low is your car chris, do you have a pick?(:

ChrisMaz
3rd August 2010, 03:04 AM
Mines 30mm lower than standard.

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 07:01 AM
Lovells have a good name in the suspension industry.

hazrd
3rd August 2010, 09:55 AM
Lovells have a good name in the suspension industry.

+1

gslrallysport
3rd August 2010, 10:36 AM
Talk about taking the contrarian view... I'm going to go against everything said here, and say I'm not a fan of Lovells one bit, and that Kings are the FAR better quality product. We've stocked both over the years, but will only ever order Lovells when we absolutely have to.

The 2 most respected brands of Australian made motorsport suspension (DMS and Murray Coote's MCA) use Kings as their OEM spring supplier. DMS get them custom rolled, whilst Murray uses off the shelf King numbers. For those that haven't heard of MCA they've dominated Australian rallying (both Tarmac and Gravel) for the last 2 or so decades. MCA was the suspension used by the factory Toyota team during their recent years of Corolla Group N(P) and S2000 domination. I'd need 2 hands to count the number of ARC titles to Kings in the last decade...

Also the Subaru World Rally Team ditched their well known European brand suspension for Kings about a year before they pulled out of the WRC. I simply cannot agree with the sentiment of Kings in this thread. I know each to their own, and I know springs are fairly application specific, but I can't take that view unfortunately. 99.9% of the time people winge about Kings is because they don't have them fitted to shocks capable of controlling them properly.

With regards to the ZC Vectra, neither Kings or Eibach make a super low because there's a significant trapment issue on the front of ZC. Kings are personally aware of this because one of their employee's daughters has a ZC and wanted to super lows... Kings low to suit are $135 for the front and $145 for the back. Eibach Pro Kit are by special order only, and if you ordered now, you'd be waiting till Nov to get them.

My advice would be to get the Kings (there's a reason why they're the largest spring manufacturer in the southern hemisphere and OEM supplier to some of the most respected race teams and suspension manufacturers in the world) and get a shock capable of controlling an uprated spring properly. You can't expect to fit a performance spring to standard shocks and see an improvement.

xplosv57
3rd August 2010, 10:43 AM
but I can't take that view unfortunately. 99.9% of the time people winge about Kings is because they don't have them fitted to shocks capable of controlling them properly.

THANKYOU!!!

i have been in cars with just Kings, and yes they are horrible, but with some proper shocks they were comfy and handled well!!

some people are just brand snobs!!!

am i right in saying the V8 Supercars also use Kings??

gslrallysport
3rd August 2010, 10:46 AM
am i right in saying the V8 Supercars also use Kings??
The vast majority yes, but I don't know the specific details like I do with rally so I wasn't going to use it as amo! :p

gslrallysport
3rd August 2010, 10:46 AM
but with some proper shocks they were comfy and handled well!!
Exactly. Find me 1 person on this planet that's fitted King Springs to Bilstein B8's and been unhappy with them, and I'll sell GSL RallySport for a dollar...

gmonkey
3rd August 2010, 11:05 AM
I installed them to konis and hated them :p sure not blisteins but yeh ahha

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 11:31 AM
Just to clear it up, most of the applications just stated, whilst made by kings, are not the ones supplied to the general public. Christ, standard springs with B8's would feel awesome. For rally, yes they may be a good spring, but I really hope people aren't sending their veccy's over large jumps :p One of the most reputable suspension places in victoria won't fit them, even if you supply them yourself and ask them.

Just an opposing view.

gslrallysport
3rd August 2010, 11:38 AM
Christ, standard springs with B8's would feel awesome.
That's exactly right, springs aren't what determines ride quality/handling, shocks are. To bag out a particular brand of spring (be it Kings or Lovells or whoever) based on use with standard shocks is completely misunderstanding how suspension works.

The guts of it is all springs do is keep the car off the ground, it's the shocks that determine how the spring work. We prefer Kings over Lovells, but that's just us.

If all you care about is lowering your car, then just fit springs. But then don't winge about the ride/handling.

If all you care about is handling, then just fit shocks, or if your budget allows, springs also.

Nurb608
3rd August 2010, 11:44 AM
That's exactly right, springs aren't what determines ride quality/handling, shocks are. To bag out a particular brand of spring (be it Kings or Lovells or whoever) based on use with standard shocks is completely misunderstanding how suspension works.

The guts of it is all springs do is keep the car off the ground, it's the shocks that determine how the spring work. We prefer Kings over Lovells, but that's just us.

If all you care about is lowering your car, then just fit springs. But then don't winge about the ride/handling.

If all you care about is handling, then just fit shocks, or if your budget allows, springs also.

Completely agree with you there ;)

hazrd
3rd August 2010, 12:26 PM
That's

Just a quick question on that one Greg, so if a car was lowered with just springs, and the ride was a tad rough, can a different (softer?) spring be fitted without compromising the car?

(total suspension n00b here)

gslrallysport
3rd August 2010, 12:28 PM
Depends why it's rough... is the spring now overpowering the shock because it's too stiff, or is the shock bottoming out because the spring is actually too soft... it's kind of an open ended question...

hazrd
3rd August 2010, 12:33 PM
Didn't think of that one lol
Just trying to cover all possible silly questions before lowering mine :)
I'll be in touch.. Cheers mate

vectra_
3rd August 2010, 07:27 PM
i called him today and asked about the lovells ones and pi ones but he said he never heard springs called lovells and pi
again he said that PEDDERS are one of the best springs... ?? cant decide :/

ChrisMaz
3rd August 2010, 07:35 PM
Called who? Pedders? I wonder why they'd recommend a house brand.

sooty
3rd August 2010, 07:35 PM
i called him today and asked about the lovells ones and pi ones but he said he never heard springs called lovells and pi
again he said that PEDDERS are one of the best springs... ?? cant decide :/

Most of us appear to have a preference for eibach here due to our positive experiences. But due to the amount you want to spending it's really a toss up between the pedders springs (kings) and the lovells.
The pedders guy either is acting dumb to support his own product, or is generally very uninformed for the industry he's in. I'm sure you'd be happy with how it looks with either. And if it's a bit too harsh of a ride, you'll just have to fork in a bit more cash and get some decent shocks to go with it.

ChrisMaz
3rd August 2010, 07:38 PM
Most likely wouldn't have heard of PI as they are a UK/Euro equivalent to Kings. PI and Kings are Made using the same process.

adam_92
3rd August 2010, 08:10 PM
to be honest i hadnt heard of pi but iv certainly heard of lovells and anyone in the suspension industry should have heard of them also

vectra_
3rd August 2010, 09:07 PM
Called who? Pedders? I wonder why they'd recommend a house brand.

its JAX quick fix tyres...
i might just go for pedders...and see how it goes....will get pics up tmorrow...

vectra_
4th August 2010, 06:25 PM
STOCK

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/947.jpg

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/1029.jpg

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/1036.jpg

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/1041.jpg

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/1045.jpg

http://i1008.hizliresim.com/2010/8/4/1046.jpg

vectra_
4th August 2010, 06:26 PM
they said it will drop more when the springs settle...but i think itll look better when i fit the 18s

Nurb608
4th August 2010, 06:29 PM
Sits nice mate ;)

vectra_
4th August 2010, 06:31 PM
thankss ((:
also i want to say thanks to everyone who responded in this thread and tryed to help.. (:

guy 27
4th August 2010, 06:31 PM
Sits nice mate ;)

+1

adam_92
4th August 2010, 09:39 PM
i need to get mine up on a hoist and have a really good look at my springs on the cdxi. my car is suppost to be 'stock' but it looks lower than yours and chris marriots stock pics. i dont know if its just me but it looks as though its already been lowered

ChrisMaz
4th August 2010, 09:57 PM
Wow that looks really good mate! Sits better than mine does for sure! What did you end up going with?

Post up a Side on pic of your car Adam. Shouldn't even need to put it on a hoist, just take a wheel off and see what springs/shocks are on it.

Shay
4th August 2010, 11:08 PM
Never had experience with either PI or Lovells. Just heard good things. Shay and Brenton are running Lovells on their cars?

forgot to say, i dont have lovells, i got eibachs.

Vectra_, Looks real low mate! Got a measurment of the lowest point, im keen to see just how low?
liking the handling difference?
im thinking curbs and speed bumps are not goin to be your friends :p
and yes 18's will look nice, 20's would look nicer ;)

gmonkey
4th August 2010, 11:50 PM
Wow that looks really good mate! Sits better than mine does for sure! What did you end up going with?

Post up a Side on pic of your car Adam. Shouldn't even need to put it on a hoist, just take a wheel off and see what springs/shocks are on it.

Red springs = pedders/kings

Shay
5th August 2010, 12:04 AM
Red springs = pedders/kings

or eibach sportline, or many cheap euro brands.

gmonkey
5th August 2010, 12:05 AM
I thought the eibach sportline were a lighter red colour??

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 12:45 AM
I'll assume since he's got them the day of install its pedders. Couldn't load the Pics before is all. Eibachs are made to order for the C

vectra_
5th August 2010, 01:02 AM
yes it is pedders hope it was eibachs but as i said before there, too expensive, and the car was too high for me couldnt wait to save up :D

@SHAY, i dont have a measurment but ill get the measurment tmorrow or something im too tired today (: it took like 5 hours to fit the springs in, and i had to wait there...pff..
also the guy said it will drop more when the springs settle...but i think its good how it is now...if it drops more i might have some trouble ((:

there was a massive change with the handling, its perfect at the moment and the guy said it will get even more be better in couple of weeks...im really happy with it at the moment (:
yes the 18s will be nice but 20s i think too big for this car (: dont no :)
and i cant go into my garage lol, i have to drive in backwards ((:

Chris do you have pick of yours ? ((:

bartsisgod
5th August 2010, 01:05 AM
heres how mine turned out when i got it done last year...images are from - stock - lowered - full car (slammed)

never been touched by police yet about it :)

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/bartsisgod/opelaus%20aug/stock.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/bartsisgod/opelaus%20aug/PA293334.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/bartsisgod/opelaus%20aug/PA293324.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/bartsisgod/opelaus%20aug/fullcar.jpg

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 01:07 AM
Yours is damn low mate! Looks excellent! Hopefully you're not hitting the bump stops on the shocks with it being so low. The C wheel arches might JUST cope with 20" wheels. Can't confirm. 19" is a perfect compromise. As for a pic of mine... Lets see.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs257.snc1/10418_321013555120_630565120_9433003_2774130_n.jpg

On the stock wheels. As you can see, no where near as low as yours! Mine lowered looks like yours stock!

Front never dropped as much as I hoped it would. But hey, i'm reasonably happy with the handling... Considering its a boat.

adam_92
5th August 2010, 01:23 AM
im going to be lowering soon hopefully. despite what evryone has said im going with the experts opinion (greg at gsl) and going to be getting kings. at 295 posted i cant go wrong and then upgrade shocks not long after

vectra_
5th August 2010, 01:35 AM
bartsisgod , thats low man haha :D what brand are the springs? and it looks good i think (((: and i want those rims..how much and where did you get them from if you dont mind me asking ((:

yours looks pretty good Chris (: i like it...not too low not too high..

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 01:48 AM
barts wheels are 19"? VXR wheels. And on Coil-overs. Don't ask me what brand. Theres heaps of VXR replicas on ebay.co.uk if you want a set.

Haha its average, as you said. Would like it lower at the front is all.

Although 19" snowies help ;)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs231.snc4/38900_10150257141040121_630565120_14030845_2878115 _n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs163.snc4/37486_10150252685210121_630565120_13889602_4260319 _n.jpg

vectra_
5th August 2010, 01:54 AM
i couldnt find any on ebay...i usually cant find anything on ebay.. :S lol if you can find any just let me no, i really want those rims ((:

and it looks perfect Chris, i dont think you need the fronts any lower...with 19s it looks perfect i think..

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah. That top pic isn't that good, car hadn't settled yet.

Oh and heres some VXR rims like Barts :D

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=19%22&_kw=VXR

vectra_
5th August 2010, 02:11 AM
thanks Chris, ill check it out ((:

ChrisMaz
5th August 2010, 02:18 AM
No worries mate. Just get some new Shoes on the Veccy ;)

Nurb608
5th August 2010, 08:27 AM
bartisgood's set up is a full custom job specifically made for his car. If you look at the back wheels, normally when you lower a car that much they don't sit anywhere near the centre of the arch but this one was done properly. And as for the handling, words can't describe, especially for a veccy c!

poita
5th August 2010, 08:42 AM
another place to check out is dobinsons springs, they are all made in house in rockhampton

http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/site/index.php

guy 27
5th August 2010, 08:53 AM
I thought the eibach sportline were a lighter red colour??

mine are metallic pink

poita
5th August 2010, 08:56 AM
my eibachs are black :)

boorny88
5th August 2010, 10:18 AM
mine are the same as guys haha they are so cute haha

gmonkey
5th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Haha yeh that's what I thought... It's manly pink :p

boorny88
5th August 2010, 10:38 AM
hell yeah its manly haha

bartsisgod
5th August 2010, 04:45 PM
bartsisgod , thats low man haha :D what brand are the springs? and it looks good i think (((: and i want those rims..how much and where did you get them from if you dont mind me asking ((:

yours looks pretty good Chris (: i like it...not too low not too high..

the springs im using are lovells with koni shocks....set me back alot of cash $2500 cough! and the wheels i picked up damn cheap from a guy on hsvvrx.com for only 500 without tyres.... but yeah as for the suspension in the car...it handles so much better and just hugs any corner...cops have never tried to dick me either...its a neat example i think....oh and if it wasnt for rory's suggestion to go to The Suspension Center (Plug) in sunshine, then it wouldnt be no where near as low

poita
5th August 2010, 05:06 PM
well since this thread has run its course, with the OP not actually listening to anyones advise

it shall now be closed